• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The 4070 will have the same fps as a 3080 within 5% anyway I'd guess you can probably skip a generation. I'm trying to get an Asus TUF 3080 for the quiet cooling but that would just be a nice bonus, down to stock alerts and luck.
Nah. Can't see that being the case. It will likely offer much better RT and a good 10% better performance at least. Not to mention be more efficient running with much less power and heat. Oh and at least 6gb more ram.

So yeah, if I can sell this GPU for the price I got it for towards the end of the year, then I will have upgraded and got some money back.

Soldato
Nah. Can't see that being the case. It will likely offer much better RT and a good 10% better performance at least. Not to mention be more efficient running with much less power and heat. Oh and at least 6gb more ram.

So yeah, if I can sell this GPU for the price I got it for towards the end of the year, then I will have upgraded and got some money back.

How much are they going for now?

I'm tempted to sell mine for cash buyer if I can get plus £200 more than what I paid for it. I paid £690 i think and all ready had the card like 6 months.

I wanna upgrade next gen as well to get the ray tracing performance. I know not everyone likes ray tracing but for me it adds whole new level of immersion. I also really like 4k now, so really need like 100% more ray tracing performance.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

I'm tempted to sell mine for cash buyer if I can get plus £200 more than what I paid for it. I paid £690 i think and all ready had the card like 6 months.

I wanna upgrade next gen as well to get the ray tracing performance. I know not everyone likes ray tracing but for me it adds whole new level of immersion. I also really like 4k now, so really need like 100% more ray tracing performance.

If you sell it now then you might have a big gap without a current gen GPU. Have you still got your 1080Ti to fall back on?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Best wait at least another 6 months before selling otherwise as mentioned you will be without a high end card for quite a while. I mean if you are like me and played all the games that require a lot grunt already and have nothing to look forward to the rest of the year then by all means.

Not sure exactly how much they go for now. But I will probably sell mine on here for the price I bought it towards the end of the year unless stock situation greatly improves. I got mine cheaper than you (FE at msrp) so hopefully won't be too hard. Then I can move on to playing games like Hades that do not require much grunt until next gen is out and be ready waiting snap one up near release. I do think a 3060Ti would be a good card to have while waiting as that would play like 95% or more of my steam libarary maxed out at 4K anyway. I mean it is better than a 1080Ti which people are still paying £300+ for second hand. Lol.

That said might just get a 1070 for £100 or there abouts if available. Even that would play most of my steam library just fine.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Best wait at least another 6 months before selling otherwise as mentioned you will be without a high end card for quite a while. I mean if you are like me and played all the games that require a lot grunt already and have nothing to look forward to the rest of the year then by all means.

Not sure exactly how much they go for now. But I will probably sell mine on here for the price I bought it towards the end of the year unless stock situation greatly improves. I got mine cheaper than you (FE at msrp) so hopefully won't be too hard. Then I can move on to playing games like Hades that do not require much grunt until next gen is out and be ready waiting snap one up near release. I do think a 3060Ti would be a good card to have while waiting as that would play like 95% or more of my steam libarary maxed out at 4K anyway. I mean it is better than a 1080Ti which people are still paying £300+ for second hand. Lol.

That said might just get a 1070 for £100 or there abouts if available. Even that would play most of my steam library just fine.

1070s going for > £250

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
1070s going for > £250
They were £150 last I checked. Plus if they are going at that price by end of the year then my 3080 may just have to be sold elsewhere for a profit :p

Besides, makes no sense to by a card like that at that price relative to a 3060 or something brand new.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Actually, they might have dropped more recently with the 3060Ti coming out... around Christmas time I was tracking prices for the Asus 1070 Strix, which I have, and they were averaging £280 on ebay.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
No chance ;)

I just read the post you quoted though. After repeatedly saying the 3090 was for mugs, mugs edition this, mugs edition that, he ended up with one. Hahahahaha.

I recon my next gen card will be something like a RTX 4070 16GB is enough for me edition. That card should be on par if not better than a 3090 I recon. If the second hand market persists the way it does, I may even make a profit during the transition :p:D

I didnt mean you btw, it was following on for Richard Dog to welcome him to his mugs selection. :)

I only quoted you as it was the irony of all irony.

Soldato
Memory needs to be both sufficient capacity and have sufficient bandwidth to move data.

In theory with faster ram you can cycle out assets more quickly. Without direct access to storage, this has to go via the CPU and can cause other performance issues It’s also slow compared to direct access which is coming soon. Stuttering is a common sign that the graphics memory is at capacity or doesn’t have sufficient bandwidth.

I guess 6X is the future someone has to bite the bullet at some point and start using it.

Vram usage in games is not a great measure. Many games operate on the basis of allocating as much as possible, even if they don’t need it. At the end of the day, game makers make games to the hardware that is available. If most GPUs on the market have less than 10Gb available, they’ll make games to utilise that amount as a maximum. It’s pointless then developing something that doesn’t work or people can’t play.

Games have become increasingly bloated in recent years and outside RTX there is not much to show for the huge bump in hardware requirements. Developers need to go back to the drawing board and refocus on optimising their content rather than trying to just brute force everything with better hardware.

Your last few lines hit home with what I have been telling people, but will never happen with AAA devs, the way they develop games is they initially dev on super high end kit thats way above any consumer kit, and then its scaled down in the last weeks before launch, so they are used to taking liberties with hardware. Sadly that culture has rotted in now, which is why we seen with games like cyberpunk the hardware requirements go through the roof for minimal visual gain.

It isnt just in the gaming industry either, developers I work with in the web space generally have the attitude if the code doesnt run fast enough the solution is to get more powerful hardware.

If Nvidia could release a gpu tomorrow with 4x rasterisation boost and double vram, I am sure within a year a AAA game would be released making the card struggle to hit 60fps.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Are you taking me for a mug? :p

So far my mugs edition has been helping with the outlay:

Just read this on tomshardware, which made me chuckle:

We're not encouraging you to grab a 3080 and start mining, though. While current estimates on profitability sit at around $6-$8 per day (depending on your power costs and the volatility of Ethereum), 24/7 coin mining can definitely reduce the lifespan of your GPU. Mining on a 3080 is a bit like finding a unicorn in the wild and then killing it to see how it tastes

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Just read this on tomshardware, which made me chuckle:

Yeah I dunno if your laughing at Tom's HW or me/miners? But I have been mining on GPU's since 2012. If you look after them, keep the temps low, clean them often dont put stupid high clocks (i.e. run them efficieantly, undervolt + low power slider) they dont 'wear out' quicker than any other user that gaming on them.

I know of old ones that I either have in old rigs still or people that bought them off me that are still running. Yes you can abuse them or neglect them if your a nutter, and even have a bad batch but thats the same for anyone owning a GPU.

Back
Top Bottom