• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Some thoughts about the RRP prices of Ampere / RDNA 2 gfx cards...

Caporegime
Annoyingly the RRP is fair on the 6800XT and 3080 IMO.

It's not bad on those cards but they're virtually impossible to get at that price. Even the weekly\bi-weekly 30 series FE drops don't have 3080's that often, 3070/60/90 seem to be the main ones appearing. And the less said about amd the better, their cards at msrp appear once in a blue moon for 5 seconds or so.

Soldato
With how long people are going to have to wait until production picks up and the 3080 having been out since September it'll probably be worth waiting for the next generation before too long, normally it's around 18 months between releases. Annoyingly the RRP is fair on the 6800XT and 3080 IMO.

It could be worse you could be one of those fools who handed over the best part of a grand in Sept and still has nothing to show for it, best part of six months on some models and they still haven't worked out that they'll never see those cards...

:D

Associate
It could be worse you could be one of those fools who handed over the best part of a grand in Sept and still has nothing to show for it, best part of six months on some models and they still haven't worked out that they'll never see those cards...

:D

or one of these fools spending £1200+ on a 3080FE at auction...in the last few days. *Looks for a facepalm gif

Soldato
OP
or one of these fools spending £1200+ on a 3080FE at auction...in the last few days. *Looks for a facepalm gif
This is coming from someone with an RTX 3090 FE, with an RRP of £1400, a GPU barely 10% ahead of the RTX 3080 FE :p

It's the 'I need more VRAM for video editing' edition of the RTX 3080.

Last edited:
Associate
Sapphire Nitro+ OC 6800 CT for £859.99

this replaced a Sapphire Nitro+ OC 6800 I managed to get for £710.99

fortunate enough to have the disposable income to afford the prices. The CT will be driving my Iiyama 34” curved Uwide 1440p 144Hz screen. Looking forward to getting home in April and getting it installed.

Soldato
With how long people are going to have to wait until production picks up and the 3080 having been out since September it'll probably be worth waiting for the next generation before too long, normally it's around 18 months between releases. Annoyingly the RRP is fair on the 6800XT and 3080 IMO.

What's to say prices and availability will be improved any on the next generation?

Associate
£649 for a FE 3080 :D

Only managed that by using Discord and having the luxury of being able to monitor closely whilst WFH. Still took a good two months after release, didn't snag one until November. But I was never going to go for anything else; until that, the most I'd ever splashed out on a GPU was £290. This is going to have to last me a good few years

Caporegime
The AMD RRP certainly is meaningless as they've not sold any for months!

Currently getting alerts in the region of £770+ for the 6800 non-XT and £900+ for the XT.

Since those are the prices the cards are available at, they would seem to be the only "meaningful" prices right now.

I do wonder if AMD have any intention at all - beyond a token gesture - of restocking their MBA cards. I suspect not, and will instead drop tiny amounts every 3 months of so, purely to "keep their promise".

Soldato
The Nvidia cards came out mid Septemeber ? 4.5 months ago and we are still in this boat, worrying.

Is it really going to improve that much and when it does will prices magically drop back to the original prices, or will we be told they are priced what the market will pay .....
The 2080ti had crazy prices through it whole life cycle so i can't see the 3000 series magically dropping to sane levels

Associate
No reason why NV should delay, but I did see some reports suggesting poor GPU die yields on 8nm Samsung. Apparently not poor enough to warrant switching to TSMC production though
Thing is, while might use the word "porting" for moving from Samsung's 8nm to TSMC's 7nm, it would be more a redesign. So unless Nvidia had advanced warning about poor yields (and was willing to spend more) redesigning for TSMC now could take 12 to 18 months or so.
I think people underestimate how complex current nodes are to design for (and complex they are for the fabs to get any decent yield).

Associate
Well from my point of view the prices are extremely high for both camps and look to remain high for the foreseeable future.

I was lucky/unlucky depending on your point of view to recently bag an MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO for the Princely sum of £949 from a UK e-tailer. I wont name them as they are a competitor.

Associate
£550 for Palit 3070
£580 for MSI 3070
£1499 for 3090 FE current
£1499 for 3090 FE returned due to coil whine
£650 for 3080 FE
£550 for ASUS 3070 returned coil whine

most of them gifted out, sold 1 at msrp plus postage and fees.

Cards are out there, just be on Twitter and ready to pounce.

Don’t buy from scalpers

Associate
IMHO things are not going to improve until bitcoin crashes as I really think that is the major driving force for price increases atm, on most cards you can make back the cost in 3-8 months so its almost free money. Stock is certainly a compounding issue, and I don't see that improving for at least a couple of months maybe longer. Perhaps the re-release of last gen cards will help a bit, but I strongly suspect Nvidia and AMD will be very cautious about massively increasing manufacturing as all of this is likely to be a bubble due to mining, covid and people really having to upgrade this gen due to having 4-6 year old cards. Not to mention there are plenty of other customers for GPU's these days, from render farms, business, point-of-sale stuff etc. So the last thing they want is to ramp up supply only for demand to drop like a stone and be left with large amounts of expensive inventory. I wouldn't even be surprised if we don't see gpu prices drop much if at all before the end of the year at this rate.

I'm pretty happy I managed to pick up a 3060ti from OCUK a few weeks back, even though at £500 its the cost of 3070's several people have posted in this thread at release. Honestly though i'm just glad to have a modern GPU at last. I noticed the same Zotac 3060ti I got are now going for £650+ on auction sites and even 3060ti FE for £900+ - its pure madness.

Soldato
660€ for reference RX 6800. Still kinda feel like it's too much but already mined 100€ back during downtime so w/e.

Amusingly the shop I bought it from is selling the cheapest custom versions starting at 1000€ - on a good day! omegalul

Back
Top Bottom