Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
He stayed quiet, apart from the bit where he was pumping the stock on WSB?

He was 'pumping' the stock last year and people were telling him to sell because he was going to lose it all. He then continued to double down on his position which he had conviction in. This has not been an easy ride for him at all. DFV is a legend. WSB regulars will respect him no matter what!

Caporegime
If nothing else....it will get significant bumps every time there's news of travel restrictions being lifted. I'm holding my IAG for a 1-2 year timeframe and I don't much care what it does in the meantime.

Provided they don't go **** up, obviously :p

Same.
Holding ezj until things go back to normal.
If they get back to 1500 I'll have gotten 3x out what I out in. Pretty good for 3 years.

Well. It would have been, before gme and 10x in 3 days! :D

Think I might bite today on cine. I'll probably regret it

Soldato
He's got images that he's holding but they could be easily faked. What's his end game? He could have cashed out at its high and retired, I can't see GME repeating the recent highs now.

He's already cashed out $13million which can be seen in his images but sadly people are too stupid to actually understand what his images show so most think he's still holding everything and paint him as some kind of messiah like he's an average everyday guy when he was already minted and is a financial advisor so has a heavy advantage over average guy

Soldato
I'm struggling to understand the thought process of people getting in on this at the point that everyone knows about it, i.e. where it's all over the mass media, /r/WSB growing by 6 million users, etc. I mean, if the cat is out of the bag so to speak, then surely the time of mad gains is pretty much over? It's just naked greed surely, nothing to do with GameStop or "sticking it to hedge funds" (that they probably don't understand beyond what someone on /r/WSB tells them)
There's not much to understand, people assume the higher publicity will push the share price higher meaning a higher probability of crippling the hedge funds. Those sensible, such as myself were in it for a 500 sell price rather than the quoted 38k or whatever nonsense they were throwing around at the time.

It would've went higher if it wasn't for the retail brokers stopping trades.

Soldato
Same.
Holding ezj until things go back to normal.
If they get back to 1500 I'll have gotten 3x out what I out in. Pretty good for 3 years.

Well. It would have been, before gme and 10x in 3 days! :D

Think I might bite today on cine. I'll probably regret it

Personally, I wouldn't hold any single airline but a group like IAG, I am in on CINE as well though, but that's more of a shorter-term than my AML/IAG/RR stuff as I suspect we'll see more of a decline in cinema visits as the pandemic has had a lot of people buy into streaming packages and improving their own home cinema experience.

Caporegime
Personally, I wouldn't hold any single airline but a group like IAG, I am in on CINE as well though, but that's more of a shorter-term than my AML/IAG/RR stuff as I suspect we'll see more of a decline in cinema visits as the pandemic has had a lot of people buy into streaming packages and improving their own home cinema experience.

That's what holds me back.
Is cinema generally in decline?

I mean there was. Massive debt before.
It's a tricky one. Can't decide if it's a straight gamble or not

Soldato
Keeps hitting the $100 mark, could be an interesting day for those still in, I'll most likely be dumping it when it hits green as its a lot in the red at the mo and the FOMO/YOLO/Meme isn't as strong with means it others lol

Soldato
There's not much to understand, people assume the higher publicity will push the share price higher meaning a higher probability of crippling the hedge funds. Those sensible, such as myself were in it for a 500 sell price rather than the quoted 38k or whatever nonsense they were throwing around at the time.

It would've went higher if it wasn't for the retail brokers stopping trades.
Retail platforms halting trades was (in my opinion) an inevitable consequence of fairly obvious concerted market manipulation and volatility.

I know the narrative that The Man is intervening to keep the little man down is easy to swallow, as it is both nebulous and impossible to prove conclusively - like most conspiracy theories that have a shred of believability at their core, but I think the reality is far more nuanced.

The sad part about all of this, at this stage particularly, is that the experienced people - probably DFV as well - will have adapted at this point, and will be exploiting the late-comers whose thought process began and ended with "I'll stick my kids inheritance in at $300 as everyone is saying its going to the moon!". It's naked greed, and the people who are going to lose the most once this all dies down aren't going to be the pros.

Soldato

I think we'll see a change across many things once we are out of The Rona's shadow, cinema being one of them, they charge an arm and a leg for food and that's probably where they make the most of their money, we'll see an increase as people can go out again but I think its past its golden days, for me its low enough to grab some, but if it does 0 then I'm covered elsewhere.

Is it a gamble, yeah, but isn't it all? As I see it the money I am putting into my HL account at the mo is money I'm not spending on going out, beer, food, fuel driving around and so on so I'm no worse off, and if it came to it and we can go out and about, I can stop putting money in there and just let it sit and gain/lose however it swings..
It could make me a millionaire, then again when I go out at the end of the month my plane might crash and I don't get to see any of it...

Caporegime

Long term i think so.

With the advent of cheap massive TV screens and sound systems for your home and relatively cheap streaming services, i just cant see how cinemas can compete.

I cant imagine ever going to the cinema again personally. Why would I when i have absolutely endless things to watch on netflix/sky/amazon and the comfort of my own lounge and home cinema set up to enjoy without kids talking or heads bobbing in front of me.

Personally i think cinemas will be going the way of the dodo eventually.

Associate
I love going to the cinema. Go at least once a week when it's open.

Got 4k TV and surround sound and all that jazz but it doesn't compare.

I am 40 though, probably the younger ones dont care as much.

Caporegime
Long term i think so.

With the advent of cheap massive TV screens and sound systems for your home and relatively cheap streaming services, i just cant see how cinemas can compete.

I cant imagine ever going to the cinema again personally. Why would I when i have absolutely endless things to watch on netflix/sky/amazon and the comfort of my own lounge and home cinema set up to enjoy without kids talking or heads bobbing in front of me.

Personally i think cinemas will be going the way of the dodo eventually.

I do as well. Especially long term.

I still like the imax. And I have the home cinema experience.
But I have no kids, and buy no food. And tickets here were 8 pounds each for imax. For families it's disgustingly expensive.

But I remember looking at the 2020 films and nothing tickled my fancy (in January)

So yeah, that basically says 'don't hold long term'
I usually avoid gambles. But I'm still tempted here.

Soldato
My cinema last year started playing classics due to no films being out in 2020 and i thought it was great.

Matrix Trilogy
Harry potter movies
LOTR movies

They played one a week and charged £5 i think and even though ive seen them all it was still cool to see them in a cinema environment again on the big screen. If think if they did this as well as the new films it would bring more people in to the cinemas.

Soldato
I think the only real advantage of cinema is them showing things before you can stream them, if that changes and films come out at the same time as they do at the cinema, that'll be where you see a real dip in cinema numbers.
Will the film industry do that, I don't know, there is already a gap in release times globally, which IMHO contributes to piracy (people want to see stuff as soon as its available so will download it if they cant watch it locally at the cinema) global release dates would increase numbers I think, but if those gaps remain, and you can watch it at home, cinemas screwed..

I do think them showing older films/trilogies etc is a good idea though, and this is something they should look at expanding as well as showings of other things, not necessarily films, would be an interesting avenue to explore.

Caporegime
I think the only real advantage of cinema is them showing things before you can stream them, if that changes and films come out at the same time as they do at the cinema, that'll be where you see a real dip in cinema numbers.
Will the film industry do that, I don't know, there is already a gap in release times globally, which IMHO contributes to piracy (people want to see stuff as soon as its available so will download it if they cant watch it locally at the cinema) global release dates would increase numbers I think, but if those gaps remain, and you can watch it at home, cinemas screwed..

This is a another thing. Probably a big one.
With big studios pushing their own streaming it's in their interests to isolate their content.. Potentially.

Is it better to have not release in cinema to force people to sign up to your service? Or is it better to release to a wider audience?

I'm sure a few have some data on that from pandemic.

Not many are going to sign up to multiple services.. Disney, hbo, netflix, amazon, brit box (lol). But it must be in their sights to move away from cinema

Caporegime

The thing is there is just simply SO much to watch now if you just have a couple of streaming services, the content is just immense and more than you could ever reasonably watch. This just makes me happy to wait for cinema releases to eventually make their way onto nowtv/netflix or whatever. I guess there will always be people who have to see the latest thing straight away, but i think there is now a growing number of people who just have so much to watch anyway, waiting is of no real concern.

Honestly, when i scroll through amazon or netflix i am baffled by the sheer amount of films and series on there.

Soldato
I liked Cineworld when it first dropped to ~25p, but didn't buy as it jumped and missed my buy point and then i left it. Hindsight and all that but i'd be sat on a great profit. I think now at current levels of 75p it's still a reasonable bet, but if i'm gambling on a company making gains after the rona i'm going airlines rather than CINE.

Back
Top Bottom