Still struggling to decide on what to buy 5-6k

Associate
Hi all,

Looks like when we finally get out of lockdown I'll be looking to purchase a 2nd car. We have a Qashqai for family duties as our main car, so I would be looking for something on the fun side for a second car.

It needs to have rear seats though so I can ferry the kids around if needed. My original plan didn't require back seats and I was almost set to go and look for a nice Z4 but the plan has changed now.

- Budget is between £6-7k
- MPG is not an issue, will rarely be used, maybe once a week or so. Occasional longer journies for enjoyment of driving.
- Age of car is no issue either.
- I don't mind things breaking now and then but repair costs/maintenance has to be reasonable (I'm looking at you CL500, you naughty thing)
- I like coupe's but hatches and saloons are also welcome.
- 3 seats in the rear would be an advantage but not a requirement.
- Like many of us - I do like a nice sounding engine when on the move :)

So for I've got on my list:

R53 Cooper S
EP3 Civic type R - Always preferred these to the FN
E46 330Ci - love these but increasingly difficult to find good ones, nice to drive? Yes. Fun? Not so sure?
Focus ST
Golf MKV GTi - Again not the last word in fun, if extremely competent.
Brera or GTV - More of a GT than a fun car, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not many of either around these days though.

Has anyone been in a similar boat recently, or have any advice at all?

Caporegime
Granted my budget was higher, but I ended up with my 4-series convertible with a similar set of criteria. Suitable for the family on day trips, but with an SUV available for longer journeys/domestic holidays. The convertible aspect is adored by my 3-year old son, and with it being a straight-6 petrol it makes a decent sound (granted, not as good as my TT, but most turbo'd engines sound muted anyway).

So with the above in mind, what about an E93? You'd definitely get a nice 325i, and most like a 330i in budget, you might even be able to luck out on a 335i. You get 90% of the looks of the coupé, what with the folding hard-top, but also the roof down motoring that makes journeys feel more special.

E.g: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101117848984 or https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101218196515

Associate
OP
Yes I'm on board with that, ex MX5 owner here so I am more than open to another convertible. Thanks for the suggestion.

What is the auto like on these, I'm guessing the manual is the more preferred option? Which did you opt for?

Soldato
Have to throw the BMW 130i into the mix for that budget. Same engine as 330i but slightly smaller chassis of course. Still 5 doors or the 3 door LE

Definitely.a fun car, one with two personalities tbh. You can cruise along as if it's a normal car, or drop it down a few gears and hear it roar up to 7k .

Caporegime
Yes I'm on board with that, ex MX5 owner here so I am more than open to another convertible. Thanks for the suggestion.

What is the auto like on these, I'm guessing the manual is the more preferred option? Which did you opt for?

Not sure I've ever seen a manual 440i, to be honest I don't even know if there was one! There was a manual 435i. So yes, I've got the 8-speed "sports" automatic (the ZF 8HP) which is actually superb, I've not lusted for a manual gearbox at any point.

With the E9x you'll definitely have the choice of an automatic or a manual (or a DCT if you opt for a 335i), but with the auto being an older 6-speed jobbie and not the awesome ZF 8HP, I'm not sure I'd go for the auto, the DCT on the other hand, I might be tempted by.

Associate
OP
Is the 130i comfortably in budget though, doesn't seem to be many about (although that may be because private sellers are not selling right now?)

Not massively keen on the looks of the 1 series though, it's never something I've looked at and thought it looks desirable, the 3 door is ok though, no offence to any 1 series owners of course!

This wouldn't stop me from getting one mind, but it would have to really impress me when behind the wheel.

The coupe however I think is gorgeous, but also about double my budget haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't checked ads but check babybmw.net and there's also a Facebook group 130i owners unite.

At the moment will be less buying and selling anyway.

It's not the best looking car but you get used to it/ seems to look better with time. Xenon and facelift rear light look best, with a bootlid spoiler.

Best thing would be to test drive one. It is NA and 265BHP though so no substantial power mods.

You can add an LSD and M3 suspension parts which transform it handling wise. Personally I didn't feel the need to go down this route but worth putting it out there if you like tinkering, or into track days etc.

Associate
For that budget I'd be tempted to hold out for the right EP3. There are a load of dogs out there but pick a good example and you'll get a car that's going to hold its value really well and not give you much hassle. Definitely consider a suspension refresh and maybe for some extra noise a decent intake and a nice subtle after market exhaust.

Soldato
Have to throw the BMW 130i into the mix for that budget. Same engine as 330i but slightly smaller chassis of course. Still 5 doors or the 3 door LE

Definitely.a fun car, one with two personalities tbh. You can cruise along as if it's a normal car, or drop it down a few gears and hear it roar up to 7k .
JayEmm just did a video on his 130i and ended with "if you want to buy it, let me know". :D

Associate
OP
If I am being honest I am really leaning towards the Civic.

My main concern is that there will be no sense of occasion unless I rev the nuts off it, and whilst that has a time and a place it's probably not what I'll be doing the majority of the time.

I hope that makes sense :/

Soldato
If I am being honest I am really leaning towards the Civic.

My main concern is that there will be no sense of occasion unless I rev the nuts off it, and whilst that has a time and a place it's probably not what I'll be doing the majority of the time.

I hope that makes sense :/
havent drove a CTR so can't Comment. I have a FN2 Civic diesel though but that's a typical understeering FWD :p

I know the 130i has plenty of grunt all throughout the rev range and also the 6 cylinder engine sounds glorious ;)

Let's get you going:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102018562216

Mileage is no issue with these cars I've seen plenty with over 150k miles and going strong.

JayEmm just did a video on his 130i and ended with "if you want to buy it, let me know". :D

Just watched that, he has a S2K and Celica so wouldn't blame him for selling. It's a car that'll certainly be worth more in the future

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 130i is a nice package, but I'm not sure I could overlook the folding hard-top of 3-series. They'll have similar running costs, but the 3'er will be a nicer place to sit and similar enough driving dynamics. As before, if you can find a decent 335i then you'll have more than ample power as well, they are really quite fast, especially once rolling!

I'd probably steer clear of the Type-R, you have to really want one for it to be anything other than a normal hatch for 80% of the time, and even when pressing on they only make a semi-decent noise during/after VTEC switchover (on longer journeys with more steady speeds, they just drone).

Associate
OP
I think the 335i would be amazing but a bit of an ask considering the budget?

The more I look at the 130i the more I'm liking it, it's got the extra seat in the back which is a bonus as well. Not many for sale right now though, let's hope things pick up a bit...

I might well try both the 3 series and 1 and see which better floats my boat.

Associate
I think with Type R's they are marmite so you either enjoy the revs or you want better low/mid range power and don't enjoy it at all. I had an FN2 and loved the thing, but my friend who is also into his cars wasn't so keen.

Since you have a golf gti mk5 on your list, what about the R32 of that era? It's better sounding than any of the cars on your list except maybe the alfas.

Back
Top Bottom