*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I really like Playstation VR and I think it might actually have a better games library at this point in time than the Oculus Quest. The problem is with the PS5 now being out it's looking like the current PSVR headset is basically now an end of life platform. The ps5 doesn't fully support it out of the box so it's likely Sony won't support it going forward. I doubt we'll see any more VR titles from Sony until a PSVR 2 headset releases for the PS5.

Also the head/hand tracking on Playstation VR is really poor due to it using a single camera and light sensors. Plus you need to buy the move controllers for the full VR experience. They're expensive, the tracking is poor and they lack thumbsticks for movement.

For those reasons the Quest 2 is a the better option overall IMO.

If you already have a Playstation 4/5 and see the Playstation VR headset on sale reduced or second hand (~£100) it's still worth getting IMO though. Not at full retail price in 2021 though.

Does playstation really have that many VR titles? Or are you referring purely to the standalone quest titles, rather than including the PCVR library available to quest too?

Soldato
I really like Playstation VR and I think it might actually have a better games library at this point in time than the Oculus Quest. The problem is with the PS5 now being out it's looking like the current PSVR headset is basically now an end of life platform. The ps5 doesn't fully support it out of the box so it's likely Sony won't support it going forward. I doubt we'll see any more VR titles from Sony until a PSVR 2 headset releases for the PS5.

Also the head/hand tracking on Playstation VR is really poor due to it using a single camera and light sensors. Plus you need to buy the move controllers for the full VR experience. They're expensive, the tracking is poor and they lack thumbsticks for movement.

For those reasons the Quest 2 is a the better option overall IMO.

If you already have a Playstation 4/5 and see the Playstation VR headset on sale reduced or second hand (~£100) it's still worth getting IMO though. Not at full retail price in 2021 though.

Thanks again for the response!

Do you have any concerns around the Oculus quest 2 game library when it comes to new titles?

I’m just questioning their dedication to new game development once I’ve made the purchase! I really don’t know much about the development side of Facebook/Oculus when compared to obviously Sony.

Soldato
Developers are reporting Quest revenues 10x what they make on PC VR. There's no doubt that there'll be a lot more titles coming, and bigger ones too.

Developers are reporting Quest revenues 10x what they make on PC VR. There's no doubt that there'll be a lot more titles coming, and bigger ones too.

I expect this is because on a PC you would be playing quality titles such as ACC or No Man's Sky or Alyx or some other AAA title. You would not really want to buy an "Experience" when you can play a proper game instead. Every Oculus game I have, I have hardly played at all as they just do not hold my interest. When it comes to the standalone part, you mostly don't have a choice as such.

Soldato
What?? Seriously, what are you asking?

I think the guys above have answered this now.

My point is that I would be buying a reasonably expensive device to play games that have to be developed specifically for it. As Oculus are not Sony, Microsoft, Activision, EA etc. I have a concern that new games might dry up quite quickly leaving me with an investment that would then be dependent on a PC.

Does that make more sense? Sorry if what I said wasn’t clear as I was on a zoom call at the time and thought it made sense...

Thanks to those that have responded, really appreciate the thoughts.

Soldato

My point is that I would be buying a reasonably expensive device to play games that have to be developed specifically for it. As Oculus are not Sony, Microsoft, Activision, EA etc. I have a concern that new games might dry up quite quickly leaving me with an investment that would then be dependent on a PC.

Does that make more sense? Sorry if what I said wasn’t clear as I was on a zoom call at the time and thought it made sense...

It's all good, I was just really confused!!

Have you ever used a VR headset before?

Soldato

Oculus isn't Sony, but it is Facebook. They're basically leading the way in VR right now, with the fastest growing market share, wouldn't surprise me if they already hold the largest slice of the VR pie, and it's already been announced that the quest 3 is in development. I suspect they'll at least be OK for library.

Soldato
Quest 2 is capable of playing some very ambitious games - look at the HL1 & Doom 3 ports, and games like Saints and Sinners.

The main reason we've not seen many really ambitious native Quest 2 games is time. It takes at least one to two years to develop a large game. With AAA games it can be a lot longer. Quest 2 hasn't been out that long. Facebook has claimed that ambitious, big games are coming.

Rumour has it that Lone Echo 2 is coming to Quest 2, potentially alongside a port of Lone Echo.

Also the new Medal Of Honor VR game may come to Quest 2 too.

Soldato
Thinking of getting one of these after my boss bringing one in the office to try out was great.

Will it work decent for pc gaming using 3700x with a 2070 super?

Soldato
PSVR was my first VR headset..Sold it a year ago now for the Rift S and now i have the quest 2...I do miss Firewall zero hour tho big time

I played Firewall: Zerohour obsessively for months using the aim controller on PSVR. The tracking is a bit dubious at times (as with all PSVR titles) but it's an amazing game :cool:

Have you found any Oculus multiplayer shooter games similar to Firewall? I'm worried I'll be disappointed with Onward/Contractors on Quest after playing Firewall on PSVR?

Associate
Think i'm officially addicted now. Been playing for 6+ hrs a day for the last week. I see VR when i close my eyes in bed, and dream about it at night

:D im going to take a few days off

Soldato
Think i'm officially addicted now. Been playing for 6+ hrs a day for the last week. I see VR when i close my eyes in bed, and dream about it at night

:D im going to take a few days off

VR has been brilliant for me during lockdown. Going to new worlds without having to leave my home.

Back
Top Bottom