Why couldn't there be another tax for NHS / Emergency Services?

Soldato
because what do you have in countries that don't provide nationalised health care?
So what you're saying is that in this case insurance is the opposite of nationalised health care?

In this case Insurance means "a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality" and not the insurance you're thinking of with your car or house.
In other words it protects against health, unemployment and being retired.
The definition you've given at the start perfectly matches what car and house (and health) insurance does no?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Problem with democracy isn't it.

No one really wants to vote for more tax. Yet people want better services.
"tax someone else"

With the death of bricks and mortar retail more tax is going to be needed. All that tax councils get from bricks and mortar is drying up. And councils are under ever increasing costs.

I'd love tax avoidance to be tackled. I'd love capitalism to be curbed. The wealth disparity between the few rich and many poor is growing. And it needs to stop. You only have to look at the revolt against GME hedgers to get an idea of sentiment.

More people are being pushed below the poverty line.

House prices are disgusting
Pensions are worse every year
Cost of living is increasing
Jobs are reducing
Covid and even general day to day is sending deficit skywards
Business rates for councils are dying up

So many negative factors on tax yet rich get richer still.

Really, the world needs to come together to fight this. So no one can run off to a tax haven

I don't have kids so my personal situation is O . But if I did. I'd find it tough

Man of Honour
The definition you've given at the start perfectly matches what car and house (and health) insurance does no?

Not really, that would fit:
A company who undertakes to provide a guarantee of compensation for specified damage, loss, death or illness in return for a payment

The other explanation of insurance is:
eg I've had a Covid vaccine which should give me insurance I don't get Covid as bad - no money exchanged.

Soldato
You're arguing that "a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality" is distinct from car insurance which is literally a thing you buy to provide protection against a possible eventuality, just because there is a transaction involved.

That's well off point anyway, I know the concept of insurance isn't purely a product you buy from an insurance company.

Man of Honour
You're arguing that "a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality" is distinct from car insurance which is literally a thing you buy to provide protection against a possible eventuality, just because there is a transaction involved.

That's well off point anyway, I know the concept of insurance isn't purely a product you buy from an insurance company.

Well somebody asked what has insurance got to do with the NHS, it is an insurance we have the system like in my second statement.

Soldato
So what you're saying is that in this case insurance is the opposite of nationalised health care?

Your eyes workin ok mate? Or is it the bit behind them doesnt work?

If you live somewhere with no nationalised healthcare you buy health insurance to cover the cost of treatment should you fall ill.

Associate
Hey folks, have been wondering about this for a while, but why hasn't there been an option, for example, for a percentage of your monthly wages to go directly to Emergency service (NHS front line / Ambulance workers / Police / Firemen etc) ?

Lets just say it was 1% of your monthly wage, strictly and specifically to go to those departments, would that be feasible? I imagine there would be a few people who would say no, but just wondered why it would be so bad/difficult to implement?

Just a discussion point that's all...
Couldn’t agree with this more

Back
Top Bottom