Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I'm holding the 1 share I bought at ~$150... Not really bothered if it dies or explodes at this point - the tiny loss there is completely negligible when put alongside the rest of my investments (which aren't meme stonks)

Man of Honour
What trading platform do people recommend? Not eating out is saving a small fortune that should be put to work. Would prefer browser/windows to phone. Thanks

Associate
What trading platform do people recommend? Not eating out is saving a small fortune that should be put to work. Would prefer browser/windows to phone. Thanks

Depends how much money you're investing, how long you'll be holding, stocks or funds, inside or outside ISA and whether you want to buy US stocks. Most brokers available in the UK charge commission to deal in US stocks so if you're only investing small amounts that's not ideal. Most people in here are using trading212 which is commission free for all stocks including US, and they have an ISA product. They have a semi decent browser based platform for charting and dealing.

Interactive brokers, hargreaves lansdown, fidelity, etoro and degiro are all worth a look in for various reasons.

Soldato
I'm still holding, but it's only 0.04 shares I decided to go in way too late so I'm down 70% on the £10 I put in but it was beer money I was well prepared to lose so I'm riding it until the end, I'm actually waiting for the crash to sub $20 levels so I can buy the other 0.96 shares so I've got a whole share just for prosperity and because I actually think Gamestop does have a future with their moves towards e-commerce and e-gaming

Yeha there's a possibility of it moving in the future, but then that's a lot more of a long term game..
I'm thinking I'll ditch what I have as soon as I get to break even on my account, depending on how I feel its going up (if it does) at the time, and when I say break-even, I mean when I'm at the point the cash I've put into the account is at least its worth in stocks, rather than break even for GME, which I cant see it doing any time soon..

Caporegime
trading212 is good but had a few hiccups at American opening with all the traffic WSB created.
they did suspend the creation of new accounts, not sure if they lifted it yet.

worth the wait anyway over paying commissions/fees
you should learn the basics of due diligence and how to read financial reports properly, understanding what all the terms mean etc before you start anyway

Soldato
Yeah, be a bit more interesting when the SEC start going through the records from the hedgefund guys, see how they have been manipulating the system for decades and then see what changes happen..

lol..finance is one of the most regulated industries in the world.

The idea that all hedgefunds are manipulating it all to wreck the system is nonsense, and hedgefunds had nothing to do with mortgage backed securities in 08.

Associate
Apart from my shares bought in the company I work for I took my first baby steps in share investing today and opened an etoro account :p Wish me luck! With me being a shift worker and being able wfh I seem to have a fair amount of spare time so thought I could put it to good use. Been very interested on how the market reactes to worldly events and been studying it for the past year.

Man of Honour
Depends how much money you're investing, how long you'll be holding, stocks or funds, inside or outside ISA and whether you want to buy US stocks. Most brokers available in the UK charge commission to deal in US stocks so if you're only investing small amounts that's not ideal. Most people in here are using trading212 which is commission free for all stocks including US, and they have an ISA product. They have a semi decent browser based platform for charting and dealing.

Interactive brokers, hargreaves lansdown, fidelity, etoro and degiro are all worth a look in for various reasons.

trading212 is good but had a few hiccups at American opening with all the traffic WSB created.
they did suspend the creation of new accounts, not sure if they lifted it yet.

worth the wait anyway over paying commissions/fees
you should learn the basics of due diligence and how to read financial reports properly, understanding what all the terms mean etc before you start anyway

Thanks, just looking at perhaps a few hundred a month but may start with a bit more of a lump. I will have a look at trading 212. I hadn't thought about ISA allowance.

I have just put my name down on a wait list.

Caporegime
Thanks, just looking at perhaps a few hundred a month but may start with a bit more of a lump. I will have a look at trading 212. I hadn't thought about ISA allowance.

I have just put my name down on a wait list.

If you dont want to wait, Ive been using freetrade which seems pretty good too.

I like revolut's interface as well, but they only allow 3 free trades a month.

Ive found you may need more than one as not all the platforms have all the stocks (so for certain stocks you may need a different platform)

Soldato
lol..finance is one of the most regulated industries in the world.

The idea that all hedgefunds are manipulating it all to wreck the system is nonsense, and hedgefunds had nothing to do with mortgage backed securities in 08.

Clearly, missed the sarcasm there, SEC are more than happy to check out WBS for market manipulation yet all that WBS has done is looked at some accessible information and chosen to buy a stock based on that information, which is exactly the same as the hedge funds do no?
So, if the SEC is looking at WBS they should use the same rules to look at the hedge funds no? Especially if it does turn out that the hedge funds have used out of the market tactics to manipulate the price back into their favour, be it talking to friends in the media, government etc and trading out fo hours, again to manipulate stock prices...

Associate
IAG will be announcing their results on the 26/2. I guess after the year they (and other airlines) have had, it won't make for good reading and regardless of how well the UK is doing with the roll out of the vacination programme, we need the rest of the world to catch up before we get close to see a real rise in air travel. Anyone got any ideas of where they might be heading over the next 4 weeks?

Soldato
Clearly, missed the sarcasm there, SEC are more than happy to check out WBS for market manipulation yet all that WBS has done is looked at some accessible information and chosen to buy a stock based on that information, which is exactly the same as the hedge funds do no?
So, if the SEC is looking at WBS they should use the same rules to look at the hedge funds no? Especially if it does turn out that the hedge funds have used out of the market tactics to manipulate the price back into their favour, be it talking to friends in the media, government etc and trading out fo hours, again to manipulate stock prices...

For those of you that haven't quite figured this out yet, the conspiracy theory stuff was all part of the con, to suck more people in to feed the stock pump.

Some hedge fund ate a loss on a big short position. Some redditors tried to profit from a pump. The usual mugs lost their money. The market functioned.

All these chumps that bought in at 300+ wondering what went wrong. THAT is precisely why they had to limit trading on the stock. Not because of some shady conspiracy.

You need to stay away from the markets if you're so easily conned.

Soldato
IAG will be announcing their results on the 26/2. I guess after the year they (and other airlines) have had, it won't make for good reading and regardless of how well the UK is doing with the roll out of the vacination programme, we need the rest of the world to catch up before we get close to see a real rise in air travel. Anyone got any ideas of where they might be heading over the next 4 weeks?

It's not really a case of where they're heading. IAG and all the other airlines future is almost exclusively down to external factors right now.

How soon international travel starts to ramp up is going to be the big driver....

Caporegime
For those of you that haven't quite figured this out yet, the conspiracy theory stuff was all part of the con, to suck more people in to feed the stock pump.

Some hedge fund ate a loss on a big short position. Some redditors tried to profit from a pump. The usual mugs lost their money. The market functioned.

All these chumps that bought in at 300+ wondering what went wrong. THAT is precisely why they had to limit trading on the stock. Not because of some shady conspiracy.

You need to stay away from the markets if you're so easily conned.

I imagine some funds/big players managed to make a fortune off the chumps too with some well times day trading.

Back
Top Bottom