No internet on ASUS Vivabook

Associate
Hi everyone

I’ve just signed up for this forum because I need some help! My elderly father’s ASUS Vivabook laptop is not connecting to the internet despite the WiFi being connected and saying there is no issue. This originally happened a couple of weeks ago out of the blue and I was able to get it back by restoring the system to a previous date. It worked for a short time only. Now we are back to no internet connection at all while stating that WiFi is working. The laptop is a couple of years old so is Windows 10. There is no problem with the WiFi as phones, iPads etc belonging to the rest of the household are connecting without problem. I have tried to restore the system again but this doesn’t work now. It gets to a certain point and says there is an error and the system has not been restored. I have probably reached the limit of my skills to fix things so please if anyone can help, I will be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Soldato
When it says it's connected does it have a valid IP?

Run ipconfig from the command line. Find the details for the wireless adapter and post them here.

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for your reply. I’ve tried to run ipconfig but nothing happens! From the device manager I have found the wireless adapter details, which are Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 8265. Is this the info you required? It states the device is working properly!

Soldato
From the Start Menu search for CMD. Select the Command Prompt App when it shows in the search results.

Once it's open type IPCONFIG and hit return.

No need to run anything as Administrator.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the idiot proof instructions!

(Edit) But it won’t post the photo! It was in my reply but didn’t post. Basically for every time it says Media State, it says Media disconnected, if that’s any help.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to post a photo upload it to Imgur. You can then copy and paste the BBCode link they provide into your post.

The output from IPCONFIG is just text and can be copied and pasted into a post directly.

Run IPCONFIG /ALL which will provide more details.

Associate
OP
The WiFi symbol is showing on the bottom toolbar and it says there is internet access. I did try previously disconnecting and reconnecting and it didn’t solve the problem. I could try that again. A younger family member suggested there might be a button on the keyboard to activate the WiFi but we couldn’t find one on this particular laptop.

Associate
OP
Hi Bremen,

I can’t copy and paste it because obviously I can’t access this forum on the laptop. But I did have the photo on my iPad and copied it into my reply but as I said, though it showed in my reply it did not show once it was posted. I will attempt the Imgur upload but I have never heard of it so will have to investigate first!
I will also do the IPCONFIG/ALL first. Thanks for your help.

Associate
OP
WKiMDoc.jpg

Hopefully this is the link to the IPCONFIG/ALL details and hopefully they will help figure out what is wrong. I disconnected the WiFi on the laptop, restarted it and connected WiFi again without success.

Thanks.

Soldato
Okay, you have a valid IP address (192.168.0.36).

From the command prompt run the commands below (separately). You should get four replies each time from 151.101.128.81.

PING 151.101.128.81

PING bbc.co.uk

Soldato
Then you have internet connectivity. If you go into a browser and type news.bbc.co.uk into the address bar and press enter, what happens?

If you get nothing, I start to suspect security software installed on the machine...

Associate
OP
If you try to open any website, it comes up that it cannot open the page and says the connection has been reset. We use Zone Alarm Security Suite on the laptop but have done so without issue since we got it a couple of years ago.I’m not sure what could have happened recently to cause this but I will investigate, probably tomorrow now, and see what I can find out. Thanks.

Caporegime
Do Virgin Media hubs usually set the two Virgin DNS servers on clients, or has that been done manually?

If you know what the Wi-Fi password is then type "network reset" in the Windows 10 search and run it.

Edit: DNS is fine, I skipped the earlier post where you said bbc gave you a ping response.

Uninstall the Zone Alarm junk and try again.

Back
Top Bottom