Tips for getting better at shooters?

Soldato
Been here recently, 6 seasons of apex with a kdr of 0.4 i was getting might pi**ed. Did some research turned off all unnecessary garbage in windows dropped dpi to 800 and changed some ADS settings. Played doom eternal on nightmare mode, swore lots and swore some more, now I am gradually seeing my kdr creep back up and now 0.79 and regularly getting at least 4 to 8 kills instead of the 1 to 2 i was getting. Honestly its all muscle memory and mouse settings. It seems slow at first and feels horrible but you soon get used to it. Going to take some time to get my kdr past 1 as I spent over 1000 matches getting practically no kills

Soldato
dropped dpi to 800
For what it's worth: https://youtu.be/jss9Zo37MCQ

I only recently bought a Razer Viper Mini and after aging with it at 400dpi as per "most" recommendations I watched his video and it all makes sense to me. I'm now on 2400dpi and send of 0.3 on CS. It's an interesting debate at least but you've got to think there's some science and validity to the manufacturer claims.

Soldato
For what it's worth: https://youtu.be/jss9Zo37MCQ

I only recently bought a Razer Viper Mini and after aging with it at 400dpi as per "most" recommendations I watched his video and it all makes sense to me. I'm now on 2400dpi and send of 0.3 on CS. It's an interesting debate at least but you've got to think there's some science and validity to the manufacturer claims.

I've got a claw grip but barely move below my wrist. My high dpi means I get on target fast but I struggle with the fine adjustments to get headshots so often lose out. The thought of retraining for lower dpi is depressing though as it'll mean learning from scratch

Soldato
I've got a claw grip but barely move below my wrist. My high dpi means I get on target fast but I struggle with the fine adjustments to get headshots so often lose out. The thought of retraining for lower dpi is depressing though as it'll mean learning from scratch
You're talking about sensitivity, not dpi ;)

A higher dpi does mean your mouse moves further with smaller movement, but you can counteract that with a low sensitivity (like me, 2400dpi and 0.3 sens in CSGO).

Stick with what you're comfortable with. I'd argue to the bitter end no player can be as good/accurate with a higher sens because of the reason you posted (too hard to make tiny adjustments for that headshot etc.), so it's clear a lower sens is better. Once you get used to moving ingame with your whole upper-arm, it's really not that hard.

Soldato
You're talking about sensitivity, not dpi ;)

A higher dpi does mean your mouse moves further with smaller movement, but you can counteract that with a low sensitivity (like me, 2400dpi and 0.3 sens in CSGO).

Stick with what you're comfortable with. I'd argue to the bitter end no player can be as good/accurate with a higher sens because of the reason you posted (too hard to make tiny adjustments for that headshot etc.), so it's clear a lower sens is better. Once you get used to moving ingame with your whole upper-arm, it's really not that hard.

it's sens x dpi - it all amounts to tiny mouse movements :)

just looking at it now 3 inches moves the cursor from one side of the screen to the other. i rest my lower arm on the desk when i play, i'm guessing i'd need to sort my whole posture out to correct it, lifting my arm off the desk...?

Associate
Sorry, but you're talking nonsense. 99% of pro CSGO players are using sensitivities around 1-2 at 400-800 dpi. That's one and a half to two full sweeps of a mousemat with your arm to turn 180deg. There's zero point being able to turn 180 quickly when you're playing CS at a decent level.

You should be able to do a 180 with one swipe of the mouse. If you cannot then your setup is wrong. My edpi is 960 and I can comfortably turn 180.

Soldato
You should be able to do a 180 with one swipe of the mouse. If you cannot then your setup is wrong. My edpi is 960 and I can comfortably turn 180.
Disagree. For CSGO anyway if you're playing at a high level (I'm not, so don't accuse me if being all high and mighty!) you'd be dead if someone was directly behind you, no chance. There's literally no need to be able to turn 180 that quickly - you have a more consistent benefit by having a more "sensitive" aim. Quake or something yeah maybe.

I was trying to find some over the shoulder videos of CS pros playing but couldn't. I'd imagine most are somewhere between 1.5 to 2 easy swipes across their mat to turn 180. I mean maybe 6-7 inches per swipe at a guess?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
There's so many things...
  • Decent PC of course.
  • Having a good monitor with high refresh rate.
  • Getting your in-game settings right, to maximize your FPS... while also turning-off all the fancy stuff that looks nice but doesn't help you to be competitive.
  • Having a decent mouse and surface.
  • Getting your mouse settings right (DPI/EDPI)... plenty of good video guides on this.
  • Aim Trainers... if you can be bothered (Aim Lab for example is free on Steam).
  • For games like Warzone, knowing the best guns/loadouts from the endless videos on YouTube.
  • Having good team mates helps.
  • Practice.
... I have/do most of that and I'm still rubbish :D
This pretty much sums it up.

You should also watch Pro matches/players play it and also invest in good headphones. I wouldn't only concentrate on Aimlabs, play DM's and 1v1 servers too, to get the feel for recoil and movement which is just as important as aim in some games e.g. CS.

Soldato
Haven't seen it mentioned in the recommendations in a cursory flick through but, turn off mouse acceleration, and use raw input when available. It's all about muscle memory so you want consistency in order to train that muscle memory, keep the same sensitivity across all the games you play. There are websites that let you translate one game into another.

The whole dpi/sense thing is mostly nonsense. high dpi low sense, low dpi high sense, makes little difference. You generally want sensitivity as low as you feel comfortable with (doing a 180 in a full sweep in the space you have is a pretty good guide) you only have to look at csgo pros settings to see how little difference it makes. S1mple for example uses 400hz and 3.0 sense which to me is quite high! 400hz and 800hz are very common with 1.0-1.5 (for 800hz) and 2.0-2.4 (for 400hz) are quite common. High dpi mice are just a silly marketing gimmick.

Associate
Buy the best pc you can afford to make make the gameplay look as spectacular as possible. Then turn all the in game settings to the lowest possible setting negating that. :D
But a big +1 for learning the maps. Even the best players get turned over if you know that little spot or choke point to utilise.

Back
Top Bottom