Jeep SRT8 - Finally Got One Of My Fave Cars Ever -

Soldato
OP
Ex 205 GTi owner here (1.6, 1.9 and 1.9 16v Mi16) not to mention 306 GTi-6.

All great cars in there day, but that’s the point. They had their times, now time to move on.
Good man, yeah mine was a 1.9, then it was an Mi16 on Twin Webber Carbs... lluurrrvvllyyyy :) Yeah bet a 306GTi6 would be worth a bit now I reckon they were rare at the time never mind now.

That's the thing, the goal posts been moved a lot now... great memories though :)

Soldato
OP
Jeep SRT was on my shortlist.
I've always wanted one after I had a rented a 5.7 version for 3 weeks in a Canadian winter.

With a bit of luck the Trackhawk might be affordable in a few years time ;)

hahahah, those Trackhawks are a different breed, I don't think they will come down in price as hardly any in the world never mind UK... plus they're kind of an experiment really aren't they, certainly not mainstream. Fnatastic though, 700bhp in a 4x4... mental :) I'll see how mine goes over the next year, you never know, super charger time could happen and these SRT's are good for 560bhp... and that's going into Lambo territory on 0-60's then... insane world now with these cars.

Soldato
OP
Finally found some dry flat tarmac... so much rain all week... and nailed this one!

60.JPG

Soldato
OP
Can’t argue with that.
Nope, exactly, I've borrowed a Dragy off a friend which confirms these numbers as well with an error of 0.1, so at least I know it's there or there abouts and it's not just nonsense.

Just replaced air filter with a nice K&N drop in filter, no CAI for me,they look and sound brill BUt imo, in most cases don't increase horse power and he's being remapped on 18th. I've been to the dyno and got my baselin figures yesterday and will go back post remap and see what's what. Basically on the dyno it kicked out 420.7bhp in 100% standard form on 95 ron fuel. Now I've ran the tank down and he's now running on 99 Shell, with filter and map, lets see where that takes me. Then you never know over the coming year, we could go Super Charger ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right update. Just sent this to the remapping company who I won't name on here just incase, as on Thursday I had my remap... I couldn't feel any difference really other than I felt the top end was dying ever so slightly but wasn't sure if that was in my mind...

So, to double check, I went to the same Dyno again today for a follow up, so here is the email!!! Very dissappointed.

Hi There,
Had the remap Thursday etc. Had it back to the same Dyno as a couple of weeks ago today and very disappointing, so two variables have changed since the first dyno couple of weeks ago.

1). Running 99 Octane Shell instead of the 95 Octane that was in the Jeep when I bought it.
2). Replaced the OEM Paper filter with K&N Drop in filter.

That’s it, both of these respond really well based on the guys in the states and would only boost BHP, certainly not take it away.

So based on the remap, I should see anything up to 40bhp just from the remap alone… I never expect to see that, but 30 would’ve been nice… so basically as you can see on the attached graph:

Original OEM: 420.7bhp, 557Nm (411lbs).
Post Remap: 422.2bhp, 570Nm (420lbs) giving increases of 1.5bhp and 9lbs of torque.

I believe any increases seen here are borderline margin of error on the dyno i.e. day by day won’t give 100% same results BUT I’d also say these increases in torque are due to the higher octane and the K&N and nothing with the remap. I’d also say the remap also tails off the power earlier which he also mentioned as soon as he’d done the 2nd run, he said the power is tailing off faster than originally, so it won’t rev as high and I also feel that when driving weirdly when I was going there but thought it was my imagination. Just to prove this in my head, I switched the K&N out and put the OEM filter back when I got home earlier, in-case it was the K&N (not that it will be) and the same, the power tails off high up faster than it did with the factory map.

Anyhow, I’ve included the graphs showing the pre and post maps but even the guy was surprised there was no difference as he was interested in what the remap did so he’s put my original power run stats on the graph as well so you can compare next to next.

So, the end result of this is, personally there’s no point in having the remap done as it offers zero gain (in-fact I’d argue it’s slightly less powerful up the top end which is the last thing I wanted tbh), so how do we go about putting back the factory settings and a refund? Unless you can think of any reasons why? The cars only done a couple of hundred miles since the first dyno and is running sweet as a nut on 39k miles. Unfortunately it’s cost me £120 for this 2nd rolling road so is kind of wasted money (not wasted when you see an increase hahaha), but wasted when there’s basically no measurable difference

Cheers
Mark

So that's what I've sent through to them... and here is the graph that I attached showing the before and after remaps... basically no difference as I detailed in the above email.

dKOzNsR.jpg

Caporegime
Could it potentially have had a map on it already? Or was vastly under reported by the manufacturer? Plenty of engines give a good amount more power than the manufacturer reports.

Soldato
OP
Could it potentially have had a map on it already? Or was vastly under reported by the manufacturer? Plenty of engines give a good amount more power than the manufacturer reports.
no, basiclaly the factory figures are pretty accurate at 420bhp and 420lbs of torque so basically I'm in the rigth ball park... so the company basically states:

2005 - 2010 ECU remap takes the power from 425bhp up to 465bhp and the torque from 420lb/ft up to 460lb/ft.

This stage of software is designed as a software upgrade only meaning it is all within safe tolerances of the engine and drivetrain and requires no hardware modifications.

So, knowing that the engine in NA anyway, I was slightly dubious on the 40bhp etc, however, would've been perfectly happy with a noticable boost in power etc like 25/30bhp, but basically this has done zero, absolutely nothing, so either the remap went wrong OR the claims are basically false. So, I have a 14 day period that "With all remaps we offer a 14-day satisfaction guarantee which gives you plenty of time to ensure it is exactly what you are after if not we will revert your car to its original software and fully refund you."

So, I've emailed, see what they're response is etc and then take it from there. Bit of a shame as if this is what that remap does, then I'lll be wanting it taken off and back to stock factory as I believe i'll have made the power increase just from 99 and the K&N and would prefer the remap to be factory and not altered in anyway until I go super charging.

As a side note, I've ordered a true BWoody 4" CAI from the states which will be with me in a few weeks with a massive AFE filter, and that 100% gives more power proven and go old school way for now. Stats for that are:

Flowbench results:
Results as follows at 28" of water:
oem intake w/oem filter = 799.5 cfm
oem intake w/K&N drop in = 815.7 cfm
4" BWoody CAI = 1147.6 cfm
Flowbench results showed a whopping 348.1 cfm increase over the OEM air box!!

Dyno results:
Our intake was tested against the OEM intake and gained a whopping 18.7 WHP!

It's one mightly filter... 7inches and 9 inches at the bottom...

72-90015a1600.1595528509.jpg

Soldato
Shame that the remap hasn't done the job. Does sound like quite the machine however, whilst also being exclusive enough that you'll never see another coming the other way :p

Have you found yourself purposely leaving it in a low gear yet, just for that engine noise?

Soldato
OP
Shame that the remap hasn't done the job. Does sound like quite the machine however, whilst also being exclusive enough that you'll never see another coming the other way :p

Have you found yourself purposely leaving it in a low gear yet, just for that engine noise?
Yeah deffo rare, but would've been nice getting a little buit more "free" power, will see what they come back with! As for the engine noise, yes, it's lovely, true HEMI sound, but will be 2% even better with a nice induction raw, so looking forward to that. The only thing that would enhance the sound would be Cams, Kooks Headers and cat back exhaust but other than exhaust it's all flipping stateside which is soooo annoying would cost a fortune to get it over here.

@pugheaven - Just noticed you're basically down the road from me. I'll have to listen out for the Jeep ;)
Hahah small world man, if you see me, be sure to flash or walk upto me and say hello mate ;)

Soldato
OP
hahaha, yeah it's just a breather pipe for the oil filler. Normally they have a pipe that goes back into the intake system, but as I don't agree this is a good thing when only clean air should be going in, I simply pulled that off, replaced the piping with a small filter for breathing and pressure relief.

Weirdly when I receive my new CAI intake next month sometime, I'll post a picture comparing the two :cool: It'll be like David & Goliath :D

Back
Top Bottom