Nest Learning Thermostat

Associate
Does anyone know if this can be connected to the boiler wirelessly?

We don't have a thermostat at the moment, so there are no existing wires etc.

The thermostat is only operated on the boiler itself, and I dont want to start having to trail wires everywhere or drill through holes etc.

Soldato
Does anyone know if this can be connected to the boiler wirelessly?

We don't have a thermostat at the moment, so there are no existing wires etc.

The thermostat is only operated on the boiler itself, and I dont want to start having to trail wires everywhere or drill through holes etc.

I have a combi boiler with the Nest setup. As far as im aware a heat link is wired to the boiler and your nest device controls the heatlink. I couldn't have my Nest replace my previous thermostat due to the wiring not providing enough power so now it sits on a table in the lounge connected to the wall via USB

Soldato
Yeah will use a heat link on the boiler, then the nest thermostat can be placed anywhere as the two talk to each other wirelessly.

I've got mine plugged into a kitchen socket using - HOLACA Outlet Wall Mount for Nest Learning. Keeps it nice and tidy.

However once it's all setup, you will probably find you never touch the thermostat anyway. I tend to just use the app if I want to adjust anything.

Associate
OP
I have a combi boiler with the Nest setup. As far as im aware a heat link is wired to the boiler and your nest device controls the heatlink. I couldn't have my Nest replace my previous thermostat due to the wiring not providing enough power so now it sits on a table in the lounge connected to the wall via USB

Yeah will use a heat link on the boiler, then the nest thermostat can be placed anywhere as the two talk to each other wirelessly.

I've got mine plugged into a kitchen socket using - HOLACA Outlet Wall Mount for Nest Learning. Keeps it nice and tidy.

Thanks for the replies, it is a fairly straight forward install for DIYers? or do I need a sparky?

Soldato
Pass on that side :cool:

I used a nest installer from the site and got the Thermostat and install included together for £240. Peace of mind for £50 extra when the device is £190.

Soldato

However once it's all setup, you will probably find you never touch the thermostat anyway. I tend to just use the app if I want to adjust anything.

Not sure if mine Nest Thermostat is faulty, but i have to keep it permanently charged via USB cable for it to work! The minute i remove the USB cable its out of power, is yours the same?

Soldato
Mine is always plugged in, but to answer your question (just tested for you) I can remove it from power and it still works fine. Not sure how long it would last, but yes you definitely have a problem.

Soldato
Mine is always plugged in, but to answer your question (just tested for you) I can remove it from power and it still works fine. Not sure how long it would last, but yes you definitely have a problem.

Mine works for about 10 minutes before it asks to be plugged back in again.

Associate
OP
Pass on that side :cool:

I used a nest installer from the site and got the Thermostat and install included together for £240. Peace of mind for £50 extra when the device is £190.

which website ? On Amazon it has installation for £120

Soldato
It's not designed to be used without power to it. The battery exists so it doesn't lose all its settings if power goes out or it's unplugged briefly for whatever reason. Otherwise you'd have to set it up from scratch again every time.

Caporegime

It requires constant power. It's not supposed to be unplugged.

which website ? On Amazon it has installation for £120

Use the official nest pro installer website and ask for quotes. Mine did it for £80 cash in hand.

I'd highly recommend getting the doorbell though and if you are getting a pro out to do it they will hide wires in the walls or possibly recommend somewhere to do a permanent install within much wiring required if they have to use trunking.

Alternatively you can attach it to any wall where there is a socket nearby or just run it from a socket on a stand.

The nest hello is amazing for security firstly and parcels secondly.

Back
Top Bottom