The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
What's your connection speed like? D:36/U:9 here so should be ok. Wouldn't stream at more than 720p anyway, even if I switched to 1080p here. Good point about all the extra stuff like voice comms, one of the 3R guys has even setup a Discord plugin which merges straight into Streamlabs so that's easy. Also Streamlabs looks very easy to use and I would use something like Restream and tweak it to different places depending what I'm doing. Probably primarily Twitch and YouTube, although I like the idea of Facebook I think I would want to limit it./QUOTE]

Way worse than yours. 22 down and 7 up on wired. I can stream 1080, run Discord and Zwift of course on that.
Zoom, Discord, Zwift on Monday night when little man was watching peppa on Netflix and it chucked Zoom. So I am right on the limit of what it will handle on my crappy Highland broadband at this point.

Streamlabs is honestly a doddle. Very easy and nice to use.
I've only ever done to Youtube. Never bothered with the other places.

Soldato
If spending £800-£900 then it's Kickr or H3 right now IMO.

Scary how prices are now, i ummed and arghed for ages before I got my Neo 2 at then £875 or so, now everything is pretty much full retail everywhere. Did mean I pretty much got my money back on my 6 or 7 year old Kurt Kinetic Road Machine when I sold it last April. Which I got second hand originally.

Soldato
I caved and got the Kickr and climb simulator, both coming tomorrow :) I really struggle to do more than an hour indoors, before boredom and the knowledge I can just get off wins out, but tomorrow I might try and last for 40 miles or so (my target distance for rides this year) to christen the new gear :)

Soldato
I caved and got the Kickr and climb simulator, both coming tomorrow :) I really struggle to do more than an hour indoors, before boredom and the knowledge I can just get off wins out, but tomorrow I might try and last for 40 miles or so (my target distance for rides this year) to christen the new gear :)

Don't aim too big :D It's still not the real world. I did 95mins last night out on the roads and it flew by! 55mins this morning. Zzzz

Soldato
Yeah, for sure. What I'm planning is (a bit more like out in the real world) two or three coffee and cake stops :) I see stage 7 of TdZ is on, so will perhaps open with this, then take a 20 minute coffee break, do another 10/15 miles, coffee break, then hopefully finish it off... I guess we'll see though, how mentally tough I can be :)

Soldato
Probably fairly sensible, last few weekends when the weather has been pap I've done few hours first thing including a race then a steady bit of Z2 later in the day. Depends what you want to achieve, if it's just steady miles then you get them in, I just try to get the intensity up so I'm occupied and the time goes quicker.

I'm unsure as to which TDZ stage 7 to do, might just go for the short one this evening.

Soldato
I'm unsure as to which TDZ stage 7 to do, might just go for the short one this evening.

Yeah, I'll either do the A or B I think, seeing I'm trying to get the miles in, maybe A. Noob question, it mentions it's off road I think. Do I need to manually change my bike? If I do nothing am I effectively riding a road bike off road and my efficiency will be poor?

Soldato
Yeah, I'll either do the A or B I think, seeing I'm trying to get the miles in, maybe A. Noob question, it mentions it's off road I think. Do I need to manually change my bike? If I do nothing am I effectively riding a road bike off road and my efficiency will be poor?

Pretty much, depends what bikes you got in your garage, although Zwift Insider says get something Aero.

Last edited:
Soldato
Am I right in thinking there is no way to join an event without first joining a world?

Seems like awful UX.
As for rockers... I made one briefly last night:
rlB-2IPeDakErUGx3SDYz6DG-YRHVGp54c_LKxwCV4c-2048x1536.jpg
I'm happy to reproduce. £50 for this version. I'll make Le Col versions for £160.
You can 'join' events from Zwiftpower, the Zwift site or the Zwift companion app before loading Zwift.

That rocker is amazing, I'm impressed with your Wahoo logo but probably need to name it... "MAT R" ??? :D

Yes that does seem like the stupid reality.

Even worse when an event isn't in the worlds that are presented at the load screen. So wait to join a world, then join the event, to then wait for that world to load.

Why?!
All events should filter by the worlds screen when loading, only 'private' events don't appear, but you generally have to join them from a link and not the Zwift app anyway.

I made a rocker... ended being kindling as it was making me sea sick ! Getting old sucks balls.
HAhaha that's rubbish but have heard that happen to quite a few people. Supposedly you can change the resistance to reduce it, but if you're prone to motion/sea sickness then really not much you can do.

I love Zwift. Their UI however, and the overall user experience is utterly appalling.

Not being able to change gear or weight etc. without starting a ride. Can't join an event without starting a ride. In an event, no way to identify your friends on the leaderboard so you can't ride 'with' them. No easy way to just join your mates who are riding. No clean way to view stats. And then all of the stuff that has to be done via third party websites because Zwift itself just don't cater for you.

They've hired a new UX guy so hopefully things start to improve. The platform is awesome, they just need to sort out what I presume are minor things to make a big difference to the overall experience.
Zwift's UT is quite game-y but that's what they've always tried to aim at. They don't want things too 'serious' but I really do agree it needs an overhaul. As so much is done client side, why not give 'advanced' options where people can scale and place the metrics where they want. It shouldn't impact the servers and load. For racing/TTT'ing and climbing W/KG is massively more important than wattage, yet it's tucked right the way over in the rider list. :rolleyes:

But you can change weight and name in the companion app before riding. Can't change gear/bike but I don't really see that as something you do in advance of joining. Can join events from Companion app, Zwiftpower or the Zwift site in advance. Highly recommended as scrolling through the sheer number of rides on the joining screen is an utter ballache. Usually too hard on a touchscreen to get the right CAT too! You can ride with friends from that screen through, the rider list below the world you've chosen will have 'Pro' riders and celebrities at the top, followed by any of your friends below, then everyone else on course. Again it's a pain to scroll through due to the sheer amount of riders on there (and if you have a lot of friends), but it is there.

Zwift becoming quite a bit more 'serious' about esports has started the move from some of those rides run by outside organisations back into Zwift. Premier League is really the start of that as it drives massive amounts of advertising for them. Following on from that, Zwiftpower things are moving over gradually. Forums are already over (not that many used them). I just hope that they keep a quick, responsive and intelligent front end like Zwiftpower there. If it becomes a 'webby' slow front end like the Zwift site it's going to be annoying. Quite regularly I'll be up and down the list joining 3-4 rides as I'm getting changed before actually on the turbo (then I 'filter' once on and warming up as Zwift loads).

New UX guy has his work cut out for him, but for me really bug fixes need to come first, there just seems to be a never ending spiral of broken functionality. They really need to sort that before adding any more. Like last week anyone with steering and a certain AppleTV setup was left riding in circles and couldn't join any rides.

I even wondered about getting a better trainer, a wheel off Wahoo for example, as it would perhaps make for a better experience
Direct Drive make a MASSIVE difference. You won't be disappointed!

So close to getting the Tron bike, 5000m to go, should get that by the end of next week as I've just been doing up/downs of road to sky over the last few weeks.
Good work & well done in advance! I love the Tron, I ride it all the time. There's a better 'option' for most the things I do, but with the Tron being top3/top5 of all the setups regardless what terrain it's just easier to stay on it.

Scary how prices are now, i ummed and arghed for ages before I got my Neo 2 at then £875 or so, now everything is pretty much full retail everywhere. Did mean I pretty much got my money back on my 6 or 7 year old Kurt Kinetic Road Machine when I sold it last April. Which I got second hand originally.
Yeah crazy money now. Considering my Flux V1 was £630 (but got a 10% code) they've really not been that cheap again since. I thought the Core coming in around that would drive prices down but demand seemed to stop that and then 2020 happened.

Actually had someone offer me £800 for my Flux last year (When I was riding outside and he couldn't).

Yeah, for sure. What I'm planning is (a bit more like out in the real world) two or three coffee and cake stops :) I see stage 7 of TdZ is on, so will perhaps open with this, then take a 20 minute coffee break, do another 10/15 miles, coffee break, then hopefully finish it off... I guess we'll see though, how mentally tough I can be :)
2 stops in what is probably going to be 1.5 hours of riding?! You'll soon realise how crazy that is... ;) :D

Miles generally fly by on Zwift, so distance can be meaningless if 'just riding'. It's obviously very easy to ride and eat/drink on there too. Some of the early morning rides I'd be warming up eating a bowl of cereal... So best to judge by riding time and how you're feeling. Some stretching and changing of position is quite 'key' to being comfortable on the bike enough to get totally 'distracted' (so you don't have an 'easy' reason for stopping. The endurance stuff I do just for the sheer number of riders there you're wizzing along at 40+kmph in Z2. Then 100km takes around 2.5 hours with the big groups I do at 2.5w/kg (so for me around 200W) as they're on flat courses. Only really towards the end of that will I even feel like I need to stop.

Couple of weekends recently I've done 3 hours and even then not been desperate for the toilet - just the feeling like I 'need' to or should. I'll barely even drink more than a single 800ml bottle doing 2+ hours of Endurance. Racing a little more, so sometimes 2 bottles (always got 2 on hand) for 3 hours riding in the garage.

Summer is a different story and I'd probably have 3. Some of the 1 hour TTT's in 25 degree+ heat I would easily drink 2 bottles and need more. Doing proper cooldowns after riding is quite good for your body, especially after hard sessions, I also use that time to have a protein/recovery shake and sometimes a snack before I'm done.

Have not needed to 'use' a bidon as some people say they do for toilet duties... But I have got off and thrown up in the drain outside my garage door more than once, then remounted and carried on. Done that several times actually! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
You can 'join' events from Zwiftpower, the Zwift site or the Zwift companion app before loading Zwift.

That rocker is amazing, I'm impressed with your Wahoo logo but probably need to name it... "MAT R" ??? :D
I typically join them through Companion but what I mean is once you load Zwift you then have to join any world to then join your event :/

Aha yes. I missed a trick with MAT R

Honestly, it made a nice difference to comfort. I didn't feel uncomfortable but it's certainly nicer with a bit of tilt. I might make it slightly more permanent (cut the mat up a bit and add it under legs)

Soldato
I typically join them through Companion but what I mean is once you load Zwift you then have to join any world to then join your event :/
Yes, it sucks, but very much the multiple worlds is quite 'new'. It wasn't long ago there was no choice!

I still find mine loads faster if I don't switch world from that selection screen. It seems to 'pre-load' the world it has selected so joining that, then doing a world switch from the 'join event' always seems to be quicker (and more reliable) for me. Possibly my older laptop but it does have an SSD in it, so can't be 'loading' time related.

Soldato
Zwift Stage 7 short at 3pm after I had a meeting put in 5 until 6. Was a bit quieter than the 5pm ones i've been doing recently, managed to jump on the first group early and stuck there throughout, group slowly thinned until it was one guy on a tron bike and another on mtb then the tron guy put in random 7w/kg attacks on the gravel and just shot away, I just plugged away at sweetspot and finished about 5 or 6 seconds back in the end for 3rd overall. Great little session and certainly felt it this afternoon. Averaged 285w for 34mins, definitely a new 30 min pb.

Check the results and saw ex British national cx champ Ian field won the long event.

Soldato
2 stops in what is probably going to be 1.5 hours of riding?! You'll soon realise how crazy that is... ;) :D

1½ hours to do 40 miles... on a hilly route?! Who do you think I am?!

Well, I can honestly say, I'm ruined! 3½ hours and 3 hours of actual riding time, 40 miles clocked up. I really picked a bad route to do it on, but was determined to still do it. The last 2 or 3 miles were complete hell. Kickr and hill thingy were really good. If you've done stage 7, you'll know the rope bridge, that's fun when you're actually being dipped and lifted coming out of it :)

Soldato
Find myself Zwifting a lot more these days for similar reasons to @SoliD when it’s so much quicker than putting on loads of winter kit to go out. Having the route badges to tick off has been a good motivator for weekend long rides and I find the climbing routes fly by, probably because you focus on the climbs rather than the distance. Still not sure how I feel about the PRL Full though, has anyone braved it?

Caporegime
Find myself Zwifting a lot more these days for similar reasons to @SoliD when it’s so much quicker than putting on loads of winter kit to go out. Having the route badges to tick off has been a good motivator for weekend long rides and I find the climbing routes fly by, probably because you focus on the climbs rather than the distance. Still not sure how I feel about the PRL Full though, has anyone braved it?
Not the PRL but I've done an Ironman in zwift a couple of times now. Just have snacks, water and an interesting book or film!

I really wish Zwift would put some effort into their UI. I keep reading about how much money and funding they're making/getting but it seems like the actual application is an after thought.

Soldato

Now it's a bit lighter in evenings I think ill be heading out. The time doesn't half tick by quickly after few months of being on zwift during the week and some weekends. Best bit for training is there is that no issues with traffic etc so you can just nail interval after interval and get it done.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Sod that, no where near going outside temperatures yet :)

Besides it will be the first time on the TT bars without the trainer stabiliser, I want a wind free day, glorious sunshine at 17c & full lockdown so not much traffic to see the fall and so the ambulance can get to me quicker.

On side note I have another referral to Trainer Road referal if anyone wants a structured training plan. (I would prefer it to go someone who is serious rather just having a dabble to look at it)

How you getting on Begbie btw ?

Soldato
Sod that, no where near going outside temperatures yet :)

Besides it will be the first time on the TT bars without the trainer stabiliser, I want a wind free day, glorious sunshine at 17c & full lockdown so not much traffic to see the fall and so the ambulance can get to me quicker.

On side note I have another referral to Trainer Road referal if anyone wants a structured training plan. (I would prefer it to go someone who is serious rather just having a dabble to look at it)

How you getting on Begbie btw ?

HAHA :D Was a good 8 or 9c the other day. Not even thought about TTing yet, might put a chain on it at some point and put it on the turbo. 58 Oval will be fun going up the Alpe....

Back
Top Bottom