The Expanse

Associate
If you have a decent surround sound setup the Naomi rescue with Bobbie was really good. Hearing the muffled noise of Bobbie talking to her through direct contact of the helmets coming from the rear lefts.

Edit:
Will defo have to re-watch the space battle. Love the way they shot it keeping the distances in play. Also a good idea to give a quick shot of each ship early on so you've got even a tiny idea of who is shooting at who.
I find watching space combat in shows like Star Trek (picard and discovery) despite looking amazing really jarring seeing these supposedly huge ships shooting eachother from a couple hundred metres away.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I really enjoyed that episode. Had this one on the computer with my headphones and the sound was fantastic as you say. Left us with a lot to chew on for the final season although I'm not sure what actually happens just before the credits roll.

Associate
I really enjoyed that episode. Had this one on the computer with my headphones and the sound was fantastic as you say. Left us with a lot to chew on for the final season although I'm not sure what actually happens just before the credits roll.

The martian ship going through the gate? I haven’t read the books so the sentences in the spoiler tags below are just my interpretation of the TV series.

They appear to be destroyed after going through the gate. The normal transit through a gate, as we saw in the previous series has essentially no effect on people.

Commissario
The martian ship going through the gate? I haven’t read the books so the sentences in the spoiler tags below are just my interpretation of the TV series.

They appear to be destroyed after going through the gate. The normal transit through a gate, as we saw in the previous series has essentially no effect on people.
It's what Holden was talking about happening when he goes through the gate, but he's the only one who is actually seeing it, everyone else is seeing it as instantaneous but because of his association with the protomolecule retains awareness, basically something seems to be getting annoyed at the use of the gates.

Soldato

In the books it was meant to be a Donnager class battleship which is destroyed by the enemies of the gatebuilders when it transits the gate.

Soldato
If you have a decent surround sound setup the Naomi rescue with Bobbie was really good. Hearing the muffled noise of Bobbie talking to her through direct contact of the helmets coming from the rear lefts.

I noticed that and thought that scene was really well done. Good to see a show make great use of audio!

Associate
In the books it was meant to be a Donnager class battleship which is destroyed by the enemies of the gatebuilders when it transits the gate.

Thanks, but...

...was it destroyed, or is this supposed to be a cliffhanger perhaps, and we don’t know yet? (In tv show terms)

Soldato
Thanks, but...

...was it destroyed, or is this supposed to be a cliffhanger perhaps, and we don’t know yet? (In tv show terms)

James Holden says he senses a presence everytime he went through the Ring Gate. I suspect that presence was the same species which left behind the artifact behind on Ilus.Hence I expect that that same presence sensed the presence of the protomolecule and destroyed the ship,as they were in conflict with the Gate Builders. You can see the ship bathed in red and seemingly deconstructed.

Soldato
Thanks, but...

In the books (not really a spoiler, but marked up because it's book discussion):
From an outside observer, all they see is the ship go into the ring gate and not come out the other side. But we've seen in the show the point of view of people this has happened to, so we know they're destroyed. Notice how the engines stopped firing just before they passed through the membrane, because components those engines rely on (e.g. fuel) had vanished. Nice attention to detail there. As of the latest book, the mechanics of the disappearances are a bit better understood, but the creatures doing it are still basically an unknown. The final book comes out this year, and we might get a better insight into them.

Soldato
Good episode I did like the battle but I am not sure if it was just me being dumb but it wasn’t that clear at first who Drummers crew mate fired at...

oh and I am getting REALLY annoyed at something! Why the heck is Amos’s beard soooo good? Not jealous at all... errr honest!

Soldato
I don't know whether it was just me being tired today when watching this but I had hardly a clue what was going on. Maybe I'll watch again another day.

Also is it just me but when seeing a panning shot of spaceships it feels like the ships are going one way but then the engines should be on back but it feels like they're going forward with the engine at front too. Is it the camera panning that's confusing me. 45th minute in final episode has a scene like it. I can't describe how I see it in words.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Only on re watching the battle did I realise it was the roci doing the damage with the railgun. I was watching the damage getting done to the ships but not really understanding were it was coming from, a close up of the gun firing or Holden saying something like "got a lock with the railgun" would have mad things a lot clearer.

Associate
Keen on experiencing death by Snu Snu from Bobbie.

Haha! I loved Futurama! Agreed. I would too. She'd smash and bash us lol,

Great couple of episodes, I forgot to watch last weeks, so I had two to watch. I forgot about Cas and all that stuff, had to Google after to see what the crack was about. Unfortunately his career is probably ruined now.

Soldato
I don't know whether it was just me being tired today when watching this but I had hardly a clue what was going on. Maybe I'll watch again another day.

Also is it just me but when seeing a panning shot of spaceships it feels like the ships are going one way but then the engines should be on back but it feels like they're going forward with the engine at front too. Is it the camera panning that's confusing me. 45th minute in final episode has a scene like it. I can't describe how I see it in words.
Engines will be pointing backwards to the direction of travel if they're decelerating. Is that what you mean?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well this season was much better than the last. Still not as good as season 3 which was by far the best imo.

Hopefully they do a better job next season. I want to see to see more Bobby and Avasarala. Less concentrating on Naomi.

The way they ended up killing Alex Kamal cracked me up. That was stupid. Would rather have not bothered and just explained it away in season 5 or something.

Soldato
The way they ended up killing Alex Kamal cracked me up. That was stupid. Would rather have not bothered and just explained it away in season 5 or something.
Or just recast the part... I’m sure there must be several middle aged Indian (Asian) actors in America or Canada they could have picked. What makes it even more irksome is the claim by the show producers I read on an entertainment site (can’t find the link but Google Expanse S5 TV vs book) is that this was an intended plot mechanic to add drama and pathos to the story, even to the point of stating Alex actually died the way Fred Johnson did in the book. Total bull muck!

Back
Top Bottom