Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Makes you wonder how the refresh cycle will be with more Macs on Apple silicon. Typical 2 year refresh would be decent
Don't say that, Apple will gladly punt the same product for two years and charge the same for it on day 720 as they did on day one.

That said I agree there isn't really the 'annual' demand for Macs as there is for phones and I don't think we will see that annual cycle with Macs. It looks like they are going that way from the way they are marketing the M1, trying to differentiate it from the A series chips as much as possible.

I'd say were going to be looking at 18 month refresh cycle at the most for M1 Macs, effectively skipping every other A series chip in a similar way to the iPad has done over the years.

Soldato
Interesting, you can get MB Pro level of performance from the Air by sticking in a couple of thermal pads between the heatsink and back of the chassis. The only downside is the chassis gets pretty toasty under long periods of sustained load.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, if you actually want to do any sort of proper work/multitasking that isn't quite simplistic then a 13" screen is far too small. I liked the improvement going from a 15" to 16" and I just found that using a 13" was uncomfortable for programming.

Soldato
Well I brought the 13" MBP but I think I will return it and wait for the 16" M processor.
I think I am holding out for the next gen M, 13" probably still for me.
This is the route I took. Ultimately the screen is too small for me.
Do you use it as your only display?
Yeah, if you actually want to do any sort of proper work/multitasking that isn't quite simplistic then a 13" screen is far too small. I liked the improvement going from a 15" to 16" and I just found that using a 13" was uncomfortable for programming.
I will definitely be using it with an external display, I use a 32" and 28" 4k at the min and still don't have enough screen space. Hoping the next gen M can natively do dual display output.

Soldato

Set the scaling to 1x with the EasyRes app so you get the full 2560x1600 space :D

Soldato
I did yes. If I can manage with 16" then that would be my only display, if I can't then I may as well get an iMac. I definitely can't manage with 13" so by the time I've added a LG UltraFine monitor the cost is a lot more.
Good point on the iMac, will definitely have to see what the M powered iMac looks like. I am currently trying to spec out how I want my new office to look and I have a work laptop and unlikely to travel much with a laptop anyway so perhaps going for an iMac is the best option!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I will definitely be using it with an external display, I use a 32" and 28" 4k at the min and still don't have enough screen space. Hoping the next gen M can natively do dual display output.

The main reason to get a laptop over a desktop is to be able to move around and work (unless its for work and you need to be able to work at home and at the office) so even though I am using dual external monitors most of the time its good to have the screen real estate when I do work on it sans screens and it has more power than the 13" models.

Soldato
The main reason to get a laptop over a desktop is to be able to move around and work (unless its for work and you need to be able to work at home and at the office) so even though I am using dual external monitors most of the time its good to have the screen real estate when I do work on it sans screens and it has more power than the 13" models.
Oh yeah for sure, I can't use it for work at all so the laptop portion would be me using it on the train or sat in the living room. Depends what the price for the iMac is really. Likely to be the same as the current I guess!?

The iMac is a lovely display and would look nice in my new office :p

Back
Top Bottom