• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
Just finished setting up my new case with the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (3003) and the 5950X, stock settings apart from enabling XMP. My Cinebench R23 scores look to be about right seeing what's being posted here.

Single; 1644
Multi; 25598

**edit** removed screenshot, thought I was posting in benchmark thread.

Play with PBO and Curve optimiser, should be abole to get about 5000 more points multiscore and maintain single core score

2cRa0p4.png

Associate
Will do, I've not really tried overclocking before but think I will this time. I also need to look at tweaking the memory, the latency looks quite high, it's currently around 60ns where most seem to be around 54-55ns.

Associate
Those are spot on.

Lucky bugger getting that new Dark Hero board, couldn't for the life of me find one. Ended up with the Strix-F

Not to rub salt in the wounds, this is my 2nd, the 1st arrived with bent pins on the USB3.1 header and had to be returned, it then took me nearly a month to find a replacement. Looks like OCUK are out of stock now, and I know through a friend that his company has a back order list of nearly 200 units so they are obviously selling quite well.

That said, it's a nice board but doesn't really feel any different to the VIII Hero it's replaced.

Soldato
Not to rub salt in the wounds, this is my 2nd, the 1st arrived with bent pins on the USB3.1 header and had to be returned, it then took me nearly a month to find a replacement. Looks like OCUK are out of stock now, and I know through a friend that his company has a back order list of nearly 200 units so they are obviously selling quite well.

That said, it's a nice board but doesn't really feel any different to the VIII Hero it's replaced.

I mainly wanted it since it's a Fanless ASUS board. Can't fault the Strix-F though.

Associate
Will do, I've not really tried overclocking before but think I will this time. I also need to look at tweaking the memory, the latency looks quite high, it's currently around 60ns where most seem to be around 54-55ns.

Wish mine was that low, my 5950X with Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200 at 16/18/18/36 is between 73 and 75ns :eek: . Only have this RAM as it was originally paired with Intel builds, 9900k being my last one so RAM speed wasn't originally a concern.

Also at stock CPU speeds with no PBO my best R23 score is about 24,100 and keeps the clocks at around 3.75ghz all core, with PBO it will be about 4.45Ghz all core and be about 27.5k on this Asus X570 Formula.

Looking at Ryzen Master, at stock my board is running at a max of 142w PPT, 95A TDC and 140 A EDC. CPU doesn't boost higher at than 3.75Ghz all core stock at least in Cine due to maxing out the TDC and EDC limits. Temp never breaks past 55c.

Associate
I prefer AIO's, much cleaner and the 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II looks plenty capable in reviews. :)

nULjPlS.png
Arctic liquid freezer is a monster.
3900x with Noctua D15 - 84C on AVX folding, 89C on AVX2 folding
3900x with Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 - 68C AVX, 69C AVX2 folding
5950x with Noctua D15 - 66C on AVX, 68C AVX2 folding
5950x with Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 - 61C AVX, 62C AVX2 folding

Associate
If I run Prime95 Small FTT”s test all cores drop to around 2.9Ghz which doesn’t seem right? Running Blend cores run around 4.6Ghz, temps aren’t an issue, stays under 70c for both test, more often than not it’s s around mid-50’s.

Associate
If I run Prime95 Small FTT”s test all cores drop to around 2.9Ghz which doesn’t seem right? Running Blend cores run around 4.6Ghz, temps aren’t an issue, stays under 70c for both test, more often than not it’s s around mid-50’s.

PBO on? Sounds like a power limitation. Small FFT draws a lot of power, if it isn’t being supplied it will drop the clocks.

Associate
Play with PBO and Curve optimiser, should be abole to get about 5000 more points multiscore and maintain single core score

2cRa0p4.png

I would try running an OCCT test using SSE instructions, small data set and 1 thread. Set the CPU affinity in Windows to the two threads that represent each core and test one-by-one. I thought I had a stable curve setting but OCCT discovered otherwise. Best to run each test for at least an hour. Don’t wish to ruin your lovely Cinebench score but yeah... I was in the same optimistic position until I realised my CPU was ‘choking’ haha.

Associate
PBO on? Sounds like a power limitation. Small FFT draws a lot of power, if it isn’t being supplied it will drop the clocks.

PBO off, running stock apart from XMP. Clock rates for Prime95/Blend and other benchmarks all seem to be right, I'm running 850W PSU with the 8pin connected so should be sufficient power.

Associate
I would try running an OCCT test using SSE instructions, small data set and 1 thread. Set the CPU affinity in Windows to the two threads that represent each core and test one-by-one. I thought I had a stable curve setting but OCCT discovered otherwise. Best to run each test for at least an hour. Don’t wish to ruin your lovely Cinebench score but yeah... I was in the same optimistic position until I realised my CPU was ‘choking’ haha.
Done all my stress testing and benchmarking no crashes of any time under any circumstance artificial or real. Been doing this a long time :)......

Soldato
Not sure if something is a miss on my setup. With PBO on and custom water on the 5900X I am hitting around the 75-77c, I am also hitting this when gaming and only seeing a load of 30% on the cpu. I have reapplied the paste a second time and still saw the same results.

What sort of load temps is everyone getting with the 5900X?

Associate
Do you know how accurate the error reporting is when your running OCCT like that. I got loads of errors after 5 minutes doing that on my "best" core even at completely stock settings. When you run a normal single core app it will jump around different cores rather than just hammer the one and I'm wondering if that constant load of the one core, that wouldn't normally happen, is what generates the errors.

Associate
Do you know how accurate the error reporting is when your running OCCT like that. I got loads of errors after 5 minutes doing that on my "best" core even at completely stock settings. When you run a normal single core app it will jump around different cores rather than just hammer the one and I'm wondering if that constant load of the one core, that wouldn't normally happen, is what generates the errors.

I won't claim to be an expert but I will state two things:

1. The developer himself states that even 'one' error is cause for concern:
Starting at how many errors do you consider a computer unstable ?
Seriously : One. - https://www.ocbase.com/#_faq

2. I used this test against 1 core at a time for 1 hour each and was able to pass every core without a single error. That said, what I thought was previously a stable curve optimisation was proven otherwise by this test. I would usually have to knock the curve down about 5 increments on every core before the OCCT test stopped reporting errors. So, I can attest that it was helpful in finding 'unseen' errors and there was a level of consistency to when it stopped reporting errors (it wasn't random chance).

EDIT: Just to add - if you are experiencing errors at stock, do not panic. It could very well be a BIOS problem. Update to the latest revision if you haven't already and test again.

Associate
Not sure if something is a miss on my setup. With PBO on and custom water on the 5900X I am hitting around the 75-77c, I am also hitting this when gaming and only seeing a load of 30% on the cpu. I have reapplied the paste a second time and still saw the same results.

What sort of load temps is everyone getting with the 5900X?

When you say you're hitting 75-77C, what are you using? Also, what else is on the loop?

To add some context, with my 5950X I am currently running 2x triple radiators on a custom loop each with a single bank of fans. I am cooling the CPU and MOFSETs using this: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-momentum-aorus-x570-master-d-rgb-plexi. I haven't yet added my GPU to this loop.

With PBO enabled + a small OC I can still hit 90C running a small FFT stress test for a couple of hours. I do have the fans at a relatively quiet curve, but still. General gaming I am seeing anywhere between 50C and 70C. I too reapplied paste two times to make sure.

It just seems these CPUs run HOT. I am not looking forward to adding a GPU to the loop :)

Back
Top Bottom