NIO Cars

Soldato
Yep, I'm pretty sure the Chinese won't be focusing on fart sounds and other absolute cack that Elon seems to think is required.

Tesla's software isn't all that, outside of autopilot I'm not sure that it's anything special.
Unless it has improved drastically on the current models I'm not sure the autopilot is anything special. I can't believe the Model S owner I know still persists with it. It has bounced him off a kerb (needing a wheel referb) pulled him into a layby thinking it was a lane on the dual carriageway, didn't see an articulated lorry and emergency braked from 70 when it thought a flyover bridge was an object on the road... and those are just the ones he's mentioned to me :eek:

The "easter eggs" would also be a huge turn off for me with a £70k+ price tag car. If absolutely every other aspect of the car was 100% perfect I could turn a blind eye to the fact that someone spent time and resources making the car fart, but it isn't and it cheapens the product.
My Q7 measures 5,063 mm L x 1,968 mm W x 1,740-1,741 mm H so it's about the same size. Large passenger space equals large exterior. They make other sized cars as well that are smaller. The sooner we can break the German monopoly on quality cars in the UK the better.
Q7's are a bloody nightmare on country lanes and car parks already and this thing is even bigger, great. TBH if they do come to the UK I'm sure we'll mainly see the more run of the mill models.

Don
Nah, Teslas are weirdly ugly. They're non-descript if caught out the corner of your eye, but the front is too low or something when you look at them? I can't put my finger on it, do they look a bit like a catfish?

The S was ok but the others are awful

Soldato
I think you want to spread the word so you can cash out higher. :p

Well I don't believe one post on a general motors forum will have that much impact. Have a look at some of the Lucid YT vids of some investors pumping up the reverse SPAC (look it up) currently going on for some baseless propaganda :)

I first heard of NIO early last year and at the time it was a longshot to invest in them so I have an interest but also have some doubts. I'm not expecting any more significant price hikes unless they continue the steady sales increase and can reach profitability this year. One decision worried me was not to invest in production and continue with a state partnership. However turns out that is the favoured model in China and why all foreign (except Tesla of course) auto manufacturers have had to co-produce cars with a domestic company.

They have recently switch hardware platform from Intel to nVidia for the autonomous driving so time will tell how that goes. Tesla don't have a very big uptake on their FSD software in China only 1-2%. Very different market with very different tastes and I see NIO more of a lifestyle package along with the battery leasing model. They have very loyal customers though once invested it seems.

Xpeng are more like Tesla when comparing models plus the market is huge and EVs are competing with ICE cars don't forget :)

Soldato
Very different market with very different tastes and I see NIO more of a lifestyle package along with the battery leasing model. They have very loyal customers though once invested it seems.
Are we ever likely to see battery leasing in the UK again? It was weird with the Zoe and Leaf. Pretty much every Zoe had a battery lease but it was the opposite for the Leaf. It certainly seemed to cripple the used prices of the Zoe's with leased batteries.

OcUK Staff
Have you guys seen the cars NIO are making? they really seem to put Tesla to shame when it comes to design and quality.

https://www.nio.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1hcG9Z0OY&t=189s

I have a feeling they are going to do well, especially if they manage to get the battery swap infrastructure in place.

The ET7 has a 600 miles range, 650 bhp, and cost £60k + a battery lease.
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ET7-family-car-cost-60k-620-miles-charge.html

I have made quite a big bet on the company with the aim of a long term hold.

So what do you guys think?

The time to buy was when they were sub $20 and sold already. :p

The cars look good, investing at current prices is a bit 50/50 as they are still trading around their peak, they could fall back or could be preparing for next move up, thats the gamble. I think people get a bit too focused on TSLA share price and then think NIO will become similar, but people forget TSLA share price is based on hope and dreams, if Elon Musk says buy, they all buy. :D

The big stock market crash that people have been saying will happen for last six months, might come soon or it may never come and NIO by end of year could be $120 plus or same or below current levels, just invest what your happy to do so, you can make money and you can also lose it. I was trading NIO since $17 and stopped at around $50, I am bit on the fence as to get back into it now, tend to have a rule since been bitten by BOOHOO, once made decent money on a share, bank it and move to something else and NIO did me well this year. :)

Soldato
Are we ever likely to see battery leasing in the UK again? It was weird with the Zoe and Leaf. Pretty much every Zoe had a battery lease but it was the opposite for the Leaf. It certainly seemed to cripple the used prices of the Zoe's with leased batteries.

Unlikely due to the ever increasing battery range and decreasing costs. Works for NIO as it lowers the entry cost for their cars and they market their BaaS along with all their other benefits. Some local incentives as well I believe.

Soldato
Haven't looked into them in great detail but I wonder if we will get them in the UK? I do like the design. Last few weeks Ive been looking more in to EVs as it makes sense from a Ltd Company and tax point of view. Nothings really grabbed me at the minute but I am coming from a C63. Ideally would like something max £40-50k so out of reach of Tesla Model S and the Taycan.

Soldato
They have a uk centre and I know a few people working there in Grove, much like MG and Polestar. The line between east and west products is getting blurrier. NIO battery swap works well in China based on wealthy population tending to live in cities with no private parking.

Soldato
They have recently switch hardware platform from Intel to nVidia for the autonomous driving so time will tell how that goes. Tesla don't have a very big uptake on their FSD software in China only 1-2%.

They also are now working with Qualcomm for their next generation cockpit / infotainment platforms (which looks like it will also soon become the hub / domain controller host for the whole car). Check out the Qualcomm event that happened a couple of weeks ago. They are looking set to dominate the auto industry like they did phones in the next few years and their approach seems to be the best (partnering with and licensing the best tech in the industry at each layer of the software stack rather than trying to develop their own and allowing choice/easy integration to OEMs who are desperate to reach 5 star ncap status by 2024 when the new regs are coming into play).

Nvidia is a disaster waiting to happen having invested so heavily with little to show as of yet. Their latest in cabin AI demo from last month was cringeworthy compared to some of its competitors. They really have gone all in and continue to when vast segments of the industry have now withdrawn to concentrate on L2+ / L3 (huge shift following the death of Elaine Herzberg). Huge risk and they already look set to lose a number of OEMs who have/are switching T1s to a different methodology, ADAS and up and evolve to AV that way in line with regulations . Good example being Daimler who again look set to switch to Qualcomm once 4rd Gen Snapdragon Ride is ready (12-24 months, development kits being deployed now). Qualcomms progression is looking very promising for the next few years and the big RFQs for 2023-2024 mass take-up have started appearing in the last couple of months. Take a look at who they are partnering with and you'll notice what a monopoly they are building (pretty much stemmed from their 5G/CV2X dominance). Watch this space.

As for Tesla, they are also playing a dangerous game right now betting against regulations not following suit. This ridiculous guinea pig live roll out of FSD features needs to stop and going by the latest NTSB recommendations (came out 6 days ago) for NHTSA to pull their finger out and get in alignment with euro NCAP this may not end well for Tesla.

Things are hotting up and it's looking more and more likely those that make the least noise are the ones making the most progression.

Edit: sorted typos, apologies wrote this far too early in the morning :p

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^ All useful info for investors. They a have lot more substance than some of the current start-up EV companies getting a lot of headline attention. Quite happy for them to just tick along building sales and releasing more products to market. I was hoping XPeng would also list early last year but only did so after there was a lot more attention on new companies so they listed a lot higher than I'd hoped.

Associate
Q7's are a bloody nightmare on country lanes and car parks already and this thing is even bigger, great. TBH if they do come to the UK I'm sure we'll mainly see the more run of the mill models.

I find my Q7 absolutely fine for country roads and carparks.

Soldato
I find my Q7 absolutely fine for country roads and carparks.
Some of the carparks I come across I'd challenge anyone to park three Q7's side by side within the bays and still be able to open the doors on the middle one. I'm sure the vast majority of roads are fine but there are roads where the extra 20 cm of width of something like a Q7 makes the difference between passing slowly and creeping past gouging your paint against the hedge.

This isn't specifically a Q7 point, cars are generally getting bigger and the places people drive and park them aren't. If the next generation of saloons are 2m wide what will the next SUVs end up being? 2.2m?

Back
Top Bottom