Anyone got a parcel stuck at a border recently?

Caporegime
Just ordered a couple of tops from the Netherlands and the price paid was minus their VAT. Total cost is just under £60, am I right in thinking it's VAT at point of purchase (0% as NL to foreign seller as far as I can see) and no import cost? Due to be shipped on a 1 day DHL today..

They should have added and accounted for UK VAT so you'll have to pay import VAT if this omission is spotted when the parcel arrives in the UK. Probably an admin. fee from the courier as well.

Soldato
you should be paying U.K. VAT on anything you order now regardless on anything you order which will be at the point of sale for below £135. Customs duty (if it applies) kicks in at £135.
I was a bit worried about ordering some kit and getting slapped with delays/fees, but oddly I managed to find a UK distributor a few miles away from me for what I wanted. My default would have been getting it from Germany but a little more meticulous searching is needed now it seems to get around it any potential hassle.

I suppose it's had one positive in that I'll give a local business a go that I wouldn't have known about before.

Soldato
They should have added and accounted for UK VAT so you'll have to pay import VAT if this omission is spotted when the parcel arrives in the UK. Probably an admin. fee from the courier as well.
Ah right so the seller should have charged VAT.. Will see what happens it's coming via DHL too so imagine it won't be missed.

Soldato
Had my delivery pushed back another week for something I ordered from Germany. I'm not too concerned yet as the part I ordered with it hasn't come back in stock and is still on a 2-3 week delivery eta...

Soldato
Anything I’ve bought using Ali Express this year has an extra tax bit when you check out. It automatically adds the VAT on to the prices listed at checkout now.
Banggood doesn’t seem to do this yet though, and still charges the price you see, unless they have added it into the list price.

Not for me.
Another seller just refunded me £20 for the tax he said I had to pay.

His message was "you look after the tax" no tax and it's being delivered tomorrow.

Soldato
Ah right so the seller should have charged VAT.. Will see what happens it's coming via DHL too so imagine it won't be missed.

Did you get hit with duty from DHL? I ordered an item from Spain before Brexit and DHL sent me a letter a week later saying I owed 50% in duty.

Associate
Just got notification from UPS, my parcel was held up for 5 days at their facility before it leaves Germany.
They charged me Import C.O.D and I emailed the seller asking them to refund me the vat or tell ups to refund me the vat as I had already paid.

Soldato
Ordered an item from Scotland to Belgium on 4th Jan, finally picked up 19th Jan, delivered 3rd Feb after a couple of delays. I'll have paid VAT on that so guess there wouldn't have been anything for the receiver to pay.

I guess the bonus of them being so focused on Brexit shipments is that my package from Thailand arrived in 48 hours with no VAT or customs duty to pay :D

Associate
Nice one, just had an update from UPS, delivery expected on the 10th.. 2 weeks to get a package from EU to UK, may as well start ordering from Asia :D

D4N

D4N

Associate
Had my parcel arrive from Germany today. It was dispatched with UPS on 20th January, and took until today.
I’m still none the wiser what the charges I paid were actually for, as there was no paperwork from UPS breaking it down.

Associate
Ordered a new heatset from Steelseries on Tuesday. Didn't realise that they are shipping from Denmark Via UPS.
Steelseries reckoned a 3-5 day shipping time, now UPS are telling me Next Friday and the tracking page just says "delayed". If they hit me with extra fee's I'll just refuse delivery and tell them to jog on.

Caporegime
Had something from Amazon France last week which took longer than you would expect (in the past stuff ordered from the EU has taken a few days, but this took a week +)

Associate
My CH parcel Ordered on 17th November arrived yesterday, and..... it was the wrong item doh!

I've also been waiting from Nov for several items from one supplier, a few have turned up and one was wrong item.
Odly the item had another address underneath mine with the right description (not sure what it is exactly "Doll") it's something cloth like with a squeaker in it.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Mine isn't stuck, return to amazon.de

Item in original box with all accessories then into an amazon box and gaffer taped to ****
Well and truly waterproofed haha

Had my postage refunded (14 quid or so) had my refund processed and back on my card.
Pretty much 2 weeks after they received the watch they've now emailed me asking why I sent an empty box back.

I've asked them for pics of how it was received, if it was opened by customs, if they video opening of returns so that I can lodge a claim with the courier.

I've had multiple emails back from Amazon from seemingly completely different people/teams apologising for not giving me my refund and saying that they will dispose of the packaging.
Not a single real response to what I've asked for haha

Are amazon front loading the import duty and tax on stuff from EU like they do with stuff purchased from the US?

Ordered a PC part from a Hong Kong seller on ebay early December, arrival between "2nd Jan and 11th Feb". No sign of it yet, last update to shipping was 30th December "Left origin country".

...well that's something I guess?

Soldato
Ordered a PC part from a Hong Kong seller on ebay early December, arrival between "2nd Jan and 11th Feb". No sign of it yet, last update to shipping was 30th December "Left origin country".

...well that's something I guess?

I had something from HK recently, left HK on the 28th December (having been posted on the 14th, arrived 28th January.

Back
Top Bottom