What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Associate
31 here. Currently playing:
Evil Within 2 - First time as skipped it on release
Forza Horizon 2 - Only a couple of races in
Valhalla - 70 Hours in
GTA V - First time since PS3 and enjoying with the Natural Vision mod (Looks stunning)

Associate
I have been trying to catch up with my Steam Library and have just finished Watchdogs.

Clunky in controls and has its flaws. But the city design, the content, and the story are superb. Some of the side missions and glimpses into peoples lives are proper dark.
Watchdogs 2 in contrast looks a bit cartoony and lazy. I would have liked another Aiden Pearce versus Dedsec who sold out to the corporate world to frame Pearce as head of Dedsec or something.

Currently playing watchdogs 2 and from memory I dont feel the difference between the first one and this bar the added gadgets etc. The gameplay does not feel massively different. I do find the randomly spawned online missions quite annoying, when someone tries to hack my character etc. Not sure if there is a way to turn them off (except disconnecting from internet). Some missions are extremely easy to do once you unlock further skills.

Associate
30 here, mostly singleplayer and co-op games now I just don't have the reactions I use to for COD.

Currently getting round to finishing up the Telltale TWD games and then going to jump into the medium and Mafia 1 remastered.

Associate
Wasn't overly impressed with watchdogs to be fair, was playing it just before Valhalla then stopped until I finished Valhalla and popped back to it London looks fantastic it has to be said it just feels a little clunky/janky and the character details and language combos can be hilarious, I have an Indian guy who's a spy yet he has inherited a 16 year old gangster's voice with beauty's as "Yeah we got this on Lock" very James Bond !, hoping for a little more from online in the coming weeks/months.

Associate
Sorry to hijack, but this game has piqued my interest. I have been debating to take the plunge and purchase. It looks pretty hardcore. I loved Day of Defeat with friendly fire as you had to be really careful and had some standoffs when players were working out whether friend or foe. Lobbing a grenade blind always went down well. :D

Arma was similar. This looks a decent game but if its a bit elitist, kind of puts me off. Worth a newbie giving it a go?
I don't really know if it's elitist or not. If your willing to understand that game and learn the different roles. I would recommend to join an alliance, there are always people around you who you can jump on with.

Associate
Anyone who was a fan of point and click adventure games (Monkey Island etc) will probably like Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive by Scriptwelder
I think its the best one I have ever played. Well worth the full £10.99 asking price on Steam IMO.
His previous games are worth a look too, not as good but some do tie into DE4 in small ways, not required to enjoy DE4 though.

Associate
Anyone who was a fan of point and click adventure games (Monkey Island etc) will probably like Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive by Scriptwelder
I think its the best one I have ever played. Well worth the full £10.99 asking price on Steam IMO.
His previous games are worth a look too, not as good but some do tie into DE4 in small ways, not required to enjoy DE4 though.
I was a mahoosive fan of Guybrush and his antics. Played the hell out of all of them. I was first in line at my local WHsmith (there was no line) the day MI2 came out back in ....1992 I think. Paid £40! on 11 disks too, no idea where I got 40quid from.

Associate
I find as I've gotten older (the last 5 years especially) I just don't have the patience for certain games or game mechanics. Also my reaction times are trash, I was kicking ass and taking names at COD 10 years, now I'd have my soul crushed by some 14 year old.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
36 here. Currently playing through Gears Tactics on Xbox for my single player fix, and also got back into Rocket League after a few of my mates who are on Xbox downloaded it. Not had so many laughs for a long time!

Associate
51 and still gaming, primarily Warzone and racing.
Played COD for years, favourite was COD 4 Modern Warfare which I think was the last one you got to choose your server. I've played in clans competitively and raced in leagues but now it's just Warzone getting my @$$ handed to me by the younger, more alert players.
From the days of TOCA race driver 3 (14 or 15 years ago I think) I have an online mate of similar age (slightly older) who I still play with now. We both still love gaming and come from completely different backgrounds but there is still an urge to jump into a game and have some fun.
It would normally be a limited amount of hours in the week and then Friday and Saturday nights but with lockdowns it's been more!

Man of Honour
I find as I've gotten older (the last 5 years especially) I just don't have the patience for certain games or game mechanics. Also my reaction times are trash, I was kicking ass and taking names at COD 10 years, now I'd have my soul crushed by some 14 year old.

Take solace in the fact that the 14 year old owes us. If it wasnt for our generation spending our pocket money on cassette games for the Spectrum and Commodores back in the 80s, the gaming industry would never have taken off and they wouldnt be able to even play things like COD today, so he may kill you repeatedly but he only gets to play because you've allowed it :D

Associate
I've always liked the Total War games albeit with some reservations. What are the Total War Warhammer ones like - similar? Is it worth starting with 1 - or should I go straight to 2?

Soldato
33, started playing the division 2 again.

NY expansion was £7 on sale and i never even finished the first lot of story but REALLY enjoying it again

I was really annoyed with the division 2, and i don't know why. Because I allowed myself to be done by the same scam that got me with the first one...... The games amazing from start until you do each mission once to unlock the next "tier" (which isn't a great deal of game play to be honest) then as soon as i started playing the next tier and it was a case of "oh, we're playing the same content again but with a higher difficulty i felt incredibly let down. I've not returned to the game since. Graphically it's wonderful and a joy to wander around (albeit, i felt it was a bit more soulless than the first as a city goes) but ultimately the typical ubisoft game design of "make 20% good content, copy and paste" lets it down.

As for what this oldie is playing, 5 stack Valorant games right now. Finally given up my csgo addiction :D

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I've always liked the Total War games albeit with some reservations. What are the Total War Warhammer ones like - similar? Is it worth starting with 1 - or should I go straight to 2?

Personally I love them, but I like warhammer before the games, so it'll depend on whether you are into Warhammer or not.

If you do, then getting both lets you play the races from TW1 in TW2 and merges the two maps into the larger mortal empires free for all map.

Associate
49! Crap, where did that go?!?

Was bang into Divinity Original Sin 2 but put it aside to play the lacklustre recent games,... Assassins Creed Valhalla, Immortals: Fenyx Rising, Cyberpunk, Disappointed with them all!

Just had my first play though of Hitman 3, enjoyed it but will leave it a while before replaying. I want to go back to finish DOS2 but they’ve only gone and released Yakuza 3, 4 & 5 on pc. Love that series, played all the rest of them (a couple on PS4). I’ll maybe get Yakuza 3 done, apparently, it’s quite short by Yakuza standards.

I’ll definitely get back to DOS2 before Baldur’s Gate 3 drops, played the beta and loved it.

Man of Honour
Rather oddly, I've just started playing Morrowind for the first time. I bought it many years ago (still have the box+disc somewhere) but never got around to it for some reason. Bought the GOTY verson from GOG a couple of years ago...and never got around to it.

Started playing it yesterday after applying the code patch and purist patch (only fixes bugs, nothing else) and a hi res fonts and UI mod so it's not all a blobby mess at higher res and I'm enjoying it a lot. No hand holding, no level scaling, a bazillion words to read. Lovely! Go anywhere at any time...and get slaughtered immediately because there's no level scaling. Good!

Back
Top Bottom