The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I am in Training for smashing the 80,90 maybe 100 age group hr records pending medical advances. Pre planning of 30years ahead of the first one.

It's my only chance of holding a cycling world record.

Tea Drinker
Don
Afternoon looking for the cheapest way to run zwift with a tacx flux. Was on my laptop but that’s now at work and now currently on my phone but that’s too small. Don’t fancy spending lol££££ on a iPad.

Soldato
Guessing it's not right version of android. Probably best to go on zwift site to see. As you say it plays on phones,so assume it works on android tablets too.

Associate
Afternoon looking for the cheapest way to run zwift with a tacx flux. Was on my laptop but that’s now at work and now currently on my phone but that’s too small. Don’t fancy spending lol££££ on a iPad.

I've got a Samsung Tab A and annoyingly found it wasn't compatible. There's a useful list here that I found: https://forums.zwift.com/t/android-supported-devices-updated-dec-22-2019/44902.

I was starting to look at the S5e or S6 but it seemed daft to spend that much when I already have a decent laptop, so I ended up getting a 22" touchscreen monitor to use with it (being short-sighted I need the screen quite close and didn't want to drip all over the laptop). If your phone runs Zwift OK, would a touchscreen monitor to use with it be a fairly cheap option for you?

Associate
I'm starting to slowly get back into it after having a virus and chest infection for about 3-4 weeks. It's scuppered having a go at TDZ, and comparing yesterday's ride with one from before Christmas with a similar average heart rate, it seems I've lost about 60W. Garmin is telling me that my Vo2max is dropping too :(

Caporegime
I've got a PC I could give you if you can cover shipping? You'd need a monitor though and I'll have to double check the graphics card but I used to run zwift on it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I am envious of people who can watch videos and movies even on Z2 rides it just makes the rides go so much slower for me. Needs to much brain power

I just talk to the voices in my head or music. Might try a few podcasts from this thread. Basically anything longer than 1.5 hrs is purgatory for me. Give me VO2 max session or intervals any day.

Associate
I am envious of people who can watch videos and movies even on Z2 rides it just makes the rides go so much slower for me. Needs to much brain power

I just talk to the voices in my head or music. Might try a few podcasts from this thread. Basically anything longer than 1.5 hrs is purgatory for me. Give me VO2 max session or intervals any day.
Do you think? I've had my laptop on in the side running Zwift and been re-watching Stranger Things on the TV as I'm riding, certainly helps with the hill climbs as I swear that % incline number gets in my head :p.

Soldato
I think I get trial periods of most of the trainer programs, but what would people recommend? Trainer Road seems to be the one most talked about? I know Zwift has some built in. What are the pros and cons?

For example, I'm worried I will get board on TR, where at least Zwift looks nicer. Also, it's not like I'm looking to compete, just might as well put some structure to my indoor cycling. Thoughts?

**EDIT** Maybe the more important question is, will I really gain much by paying for yet another service, given that I already pay for Zwift, which has training programs?

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve not used TR for ages but I found it very dull as a training platform compared to Zwift. I’d give one of the training plans on Zwift a shot if you’re after some structure and go from there. The main thing is being consistent.

Soldato
Did the TDZ Stage 7 this morning. Picked the MTB for it. Quite happy with 11th because I got interrupted by the door knocking 3 times. I ignored them but was kinda hard as it's right next to me with the window open... they knocked during final sprint so I got off and answered. Turns out it was Corona surge testing... and I answered huffing and puffing, dripping with sweat!

Soldato

Only way to get through it for me. Found motorsport and CX takes my mind off dull tedium, but if i'm doing efforts or a race i'm barely concentrating on the tv and more listening, usually find something that is more comedy to put on. Currently binging Office US, been good as 2 eps = pre work z2 first thing in the morning.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I think I get trial periods of most of the trainer programs, but what would people recommend? Trainer Road seems to be the one most talked about? I know Zwift has some built in. What are the pros and cons?

For example, I'm worried I will get board on TR, where at least Zwift looks nicer. Also, it's not like I'm looking to compete, just might as well put some structure to my indoor cycling. Thoughts?

**EDIT** Maybe the more important question is, will I really gain much by paying for yet another service, given that I already pay for Zwift, which has training programs?

TR is not for everyone, I will say though if your are doing some real world events its the way to go and cheaper than coach as the plan builder is very good and specific to your needs. I am using it for Staffordshire 70.3 and Nottingham Outlaw after doing the 80/20 for a number of years.

Oh hats off to RGT as well, personally I think its better than Zwift but its also more demanding in terms of hardware, the user base is really growing now as well, always something to attend unlike 6 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom