Long commute to kickstart career - good idea?

Soldato
Post covid I'll be looking at doing 2 hours driving each way for 1-2 days a week and wfh the rest. It may end up not much more expensive to grab a cheap hotel for a night. Certainly preferable to another 4 hours of driving.

Man of Honour
Not worth it for a trainee position IMO. And this is coming from someone who traded in a 25min walk for a 4.5hr commute - I only did that because it meant a large pay increase in addition to the career opportunity.
In short, I'm not against long commutes, but only for the right opportunities.

Soldato
Two downsides is the 2 hour commute

Two hours both directions? I'd be looking to move. Think about the effect on your relationship. You are going to be working a 12-hour day. Yes, driving is work. Your partner is the one who is going to be doing all the housework. You're not going to have time with young children because they'll be in bed asleep when you get home. Etc.

Man of Honour
He(?) doesn't have any kids at the moment. I'd imagine their lives would change if they decided to have children given the partner is working 12hr shifts as they would need someone for early evening childcare.

nam

nam

Soldato
Got offered a gig for £500 pd in Edinburgh on-site is required, problem is i live in London and stay at home is the current guidance :confused:

Soldato
They won't pay for any travel or accommodation costs so i would be out of pocket

You're earning £500 pd. £2500 a week. That's more than enough to afford a long term b&b. And since you're undoubtedly a contractor it gets classed as a business expense. You may have to return home at weekends.

Soldato
They won't pay for any travel or accommodation costs so i would be out of pocket

Contract presumably, as it's day rates....why would you ever expect them to pay it?

I took a contract in Newcastle for that sort of money when I was living in London. Train or fly up Monday morning, back Friday afternoon, rent a room during the week. Quite enjoyed it tbh, for six months.

Caporegime
I'm about to turn down a job because of the commute. It's really tempting. But if you value your time. I wouldn't.

If it's a temporary thing. Maybe. But it's exhausting. I've done it before. Basically you get 2 days out of 7 to yourself (no evenings)
And let's say you're awake for 16 hours a day.

In a week you basically have 32 hours out of 168 to yourself (probably got house work in those too)

Not a good trade off! You can't get time back

Back
Top Bottom