Still struggling to decide on what to buy 5-6k

Soldato
I think with Type R's they are marmite so you either enjoy the revs or you want better low/mid range power and don't enjoy it at all. I had an FN2 and loved the thing, but my friend who is also into his cars wasn't so keen.

Since you have a golf gti mk5 on your list, what about the R32 of that era? It's better sounding than any of the cars on your list except maybe the alfas.
Yeah we used to habe the FN2, was fantastic never needed a single thing fixing, was incredble and I prefeer them to the EP3, but then I'm in a serious minority... I think the EP3 is looking badly dated now tbh... but that's just me. Love the VTEC engines of old though...

Associate
OP
I think with Type R's they are marmite so you either enjoy the revs or you want better low/mid range power and don't enjoy it at all. I had an FN2 and loved the thing, but my friend who is also into his cars wasn't so keen.

Since you have a golf gti mk5 on your list, what about the R32 of that era? It's better sounding than any of the cars on your list except maybe the alfas.

Yeah R32 would be a good shout.

I seem to had added to my options rather than narrowed them down haha. :p:)

Caporegime
Yeah R32 would be a good shout.

I seem to had added to my options rather than narrowed them down haha. :p:)

They do make a superb noise. The main reason I've held onto my TT for this long is because I adore the sound it makes. Really need to get it MOT'd and back on the road, but I just don't see me driving it until the weather improves.

Soldato
R32 certainly sounds better than the BMW N52 engine. The latter is still a great sound anyhow.

Dynamically and fuel economy wise the 130i is better though :p

I think best thing will be for you to test drive the list now when it’s safe/possible to do so

Last edited:
Associate
Having previously owning an EP3 CTR and currently owning a 130i, I'd recommend the latter.

My EP3 was a great car when I was in the mood for going for a hard drive. It was the first car I owned that I'd jump in at 7am at the weekends and go out and attack some b-roads. When you wanted to use it as a "normal" car it wasn't quite so special though. Gear synchros where also an issue back when I had mine 12yrs ago so can only imagine that most will need looking at now if they haven't been changed.

My current car is a 2007 E87 130i and I can't see me getting rid anytime soon. The engine is great and makes good power all the way through the rev range. Handling wise it's decent, however I expect it to be a lot better when I swap out the stock runflats for some decent tyres and get the wheel alignment set up. It's rewarding to drive hard, but equally as good to drive "normally" and it's a nice place to be*

* Prior to my 130i I had an R26 Megane which is a pretty dire place to be. The engine (was played with and mapped to 300hp/300ftlbs) was great and the chassis was sublime. On a hard drive it never failed to impress, however it couldn't distract me from the horrible interior and build quality so it had to go.

Soldato
I’ve had a few ‘fun’ cars in this prove range, and the Mazda 3 MPS wins IMO with the E46 being a good contender too.

Mazda 3 MPS has a cracking Bose sound system as standard, too!
MPS is a great shout if it is in that price range. Always admired these. Aren't they the old Ford ranger unit, so pretty reliable to boot?

Soldato
MPS is a great shout if it is in that price range. Always admired these. Aren't they the old Ford ranger unit, so pretty reliable to boot?
I love my zoom zoom, but they seem to suffer badly with rust, least mine has rusted away nearly and won't make it through another mot :(

Soldato
I have a high mileage 08 plate 130i that I bought for under £4k and have been spending money on to improve it. It has:
  • A full set of E92 M3 suspension arms
  • Bilstein B12 Pro Kit suspension
  • Rear subframe bush inserts
  • Front camber plates for more negative camber
  • Alutec Drive alloys
  • Brembo brakes from the F2x generation
  • A modded N55 135i backbox
I primarily bought the car because of the engine. My dad had a few NA straight 6 BMWs when I was growing up and I wanted to experience one whilst I still could. The engine makes it from a mundane, everyday car into something interesting.

It is a decent enough car and sounds great. It drives decently, but is not as sharp and responsive as the RS Megane 265 Cup I had previously.

If I had your budget I would be tempted by an RS Clio 200 Cup. I drove one before buying my Megane and it was great fun. I think it would be great as an occasional car.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, the MPS is worth a look for sure, not too keen on the Clio idea though, mainly because of the same reasons I'm moving away from the civic.

Associate
OP
Lol, thanks, they would've been on my shortlist if I didn't need the seats though!

I haven't thought much about the TT, I know a couple of people who have them, one has the MK1 3.2 manual and the other has the MK1 1.8T manual, which has had a remap. Both assure me that their respective versions are the best :D.

There seem to be a few MK2's about within budget, would that be preferable over the MK1?

Caporegime
Having had a 1.8T (granted a Leon Cupra R, not a TT) and a 3.2 V6 MK1 TT, the 3.2 is the one to have, regardless of what people say to the contrary. The Mk1 TT isn't a sharpened scalpel in the handling dept, so the small weight disadvantage up front doesn't really make a difference (I managed to track mine round the tight and twisty Curborough sprint course just fine), but the noise and power delivery are nicer in the V6.

Unless you specifically WANT a MK1 TT though (I did) then the Mk2 is a better all-rounder, and slightly larger inside as well.

Be warned though, the back seats in either MK1 or MK2 coupés are essentially only usable by toddlers or adults without legs.

Soldato
I love my zoom zoom, but they seem to suffer badly with rust, least mine has rusted away nearly and won't make it through another mot :(
Got rid of mine last night. Had it 7 years. Was quite good fun but just not really using it enough to justify the running costs.

I also got an advisory for underside rust on last MOT though I checked it and doesn't look horrific. I did have the front wing replaced some years back because it had started bubbling just over the arch. Not sure if the mk2 is better rust wise?

Soldato
For some reason Mazda dont think rust protection is needed. Even on new ones there are areas with none. On our salty roads its going to disolve quickly :\

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom