Getting up earlier as you get older

Soldato
53. Go to bed normally between 12 and 1am. Always used to sleep until either my alarm went off or about 10/11am on a lie in day.

Recently, I've been cursed by waking at 3/4am regardless of bedtime. Want to sleep, can't sleep then feel tired later in the day only to wake up in the evening.

Sigh.

Soldato
As an alternative, I'm mid-40's and staying up later. During one of the lockdowns/work-from-home periods we had out in here Saudi I found that I was going to bed later and later until I equalised at going to bed from 4am and up at noon. As a plus I was waking up "naturally" with no alarm clocks etc so I felt very refreshed most of the time, unless some "daytime noise" (bin-men, neighbours etc) woke me early.

Capodecina
Soldato
I don't think this is just about age but lifestyle. When I was an undergrad I could easily sleep 12 hours a night, and when I graduated 8-9 hours easily. But now, being a working person, I generally get about 6-7 hours sleep every night.

However, it's dawned on me recently that this is largely because of work commitments, deciding to stay up a little later that I should, having more responsibilities that make me think more and occupy my mind. So for ages I thought "I am a little older so I need less sleep" but I don't think this is the whole case.

I've been on leave in the last week and every night I've slept between 8-10 hours, which is normally unheard of for me. And that's because I've been eating dinner a little earlier, going to bed earlier and getting up later because I don't have to go into work. So I think lifestyle plays more of a part than we realise, we just get used to things and don't realise that the small changes we integrate can make big differences.

Soldato
45 here and I could sleep 24/7 if the wife and kids would ‘f’ off snd give me peace!

can’t complain too much though, today is sleep in day for me and if it wasn’t for the need to pee I’d not have woke 15 mins ago :D

Permabanned
Until I owned cats, I would lie in till at least 10am when not working or had other commitments. Now I got woken up by 8am and its become a habit.

I had that problem. Regrettably I had to shut to the door to stop them waking me up at 5AM.

Soldato
At 44 I'm often going to bed at 10pm and waking up at 5am feeling refreshed, but last night I felt like turning in for the night at 9:30 and I awoke at 4:30 waiting to start the day!

What's going on? Is this a sign of getting old?

Oh yeah and I get up in the night for a wee most nights now!

Welcome to my world! :D I'm 55 & I'm tucked up in bed most nights at 8pm & up at 4am! This is due to my job, but weekends I find it difficult to have a lie in! Loo trips in the night, yep. I put it down to caffeine based drinks & my Friday night beer with dinner. You've still got to come:

Aches & pains.
2 pairs of glasses.
Most being able to lose weight as easily as you once did.
Much shedding of head & body hair with most of what's left turning grey.
Most of your hair growth is out of your nose & ears :mad:
Not getting as 'excited' as much :(

Man of Honour
Up until November last year I was getting up for a wee around 6 times a night putting it down to diabetes.
I'd also wake up as though I hadn't been asleep.
Last year I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea so now have to use a CPAP machine and life is much better.

Soldato
56 here and hate getting up early!

Same here I basically got the teenager habit of not getting up until lunch and it never really left me. Probably helps I work shifts so don't leave home till late afternoon/early evening but given a choice I wouldn't be up early I'm definitely not a morning person.

Associate
I aim for 7 hours sleep during the week and for as long as possible at the weekend. I can get through the day on 6 hours sleep but prefer 7. 8 at the weekend is often achievable as I've no alarm going off.

Soldato
The past couple of days we've gone to bed at around 1am and got up at 10am. My cousin who's 38 didnt get up until 3pm yesterday :D

Back
Top Bottom