Poll: Toast: Hot or cold?

Toast: Hot or cold?

• Hot

Votes: 162 86.6%
  • Cold

Votes: 25 13.4%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Hot toast for me... never occurred to me why some may like it cold..

Do you heat all the bread you eat? Toast isn't cooked bread as such - bread is already cooked. Toast is just changing the composition and moisture content of bread, usually only on the surface. Originally as a way to make stale bread more palatable and maybe to delay bread going stale (the bread inside the toasted outer crust would go stale more slowly).

i always thought it was unusual putting bread in a toaster only to wait for it to go cold and eat it after... thats like warming up a curry then waiting till it goes cold to eat it.

Putting butter (or anything else) on toast is equally strange when viewed in isolation - why dry out the surface of bread and then make it much wetter than it was before? That makes no sense - if you don't want the surface of the bread dry, why did you deliberately dry it out?

The answer to all the apparent inconsistencies is the same - it's how the person eating it likes it. Taste is highly subjective. For example, I find cooked cheese repulsive. Literally so - the smell of it forces me to leave the area because otherwise I will vomit in disgust. The sight of it isn't much better. Does that make eating cooked cheese wrong? No. It makes eating cooked cheese wrong for me. Or beer. Some people claim there's a single right temperature for drinking beer. Some of them will argue about it. The right temperature is 20C! The right temperature is 5C! No. The right temperature is whatever the person drinking it likes, whatever that temperature is.

Having said that i'm not one to criticize since i like to drink coffee cold (obviously hot before.. not pouring cold water initially)

A surprising number of customers at my workplace like tea and/or coffee made hot and then left to cool to room temperature. You're not all that strange in that respect. Iced tea and coffee is a thing too, quite popular in some places.

Each to their own. If someone likes their toast soaked in cold coffee and covered in custard, roast beef and apple peel, well, have at it. As long as I don't have to eat it, why should I care?

Caporegime
For those who like cold toast:

tenor.gif

Soldato
I used to ridicule him for it because it made a mess and seemed ridiculous.

He also said crumpets are rubbish then I found out he didn't know you had to toast them and ate one raw.

Associate
Cold cold cold
I wake up, I take my lunch out of the fridge, I put the kettle on and I put the toaster on then I go shower and get dressed
By the time I come back to it my toast is nice and cool. I can't stand butter melted into my toast. I want it ON the toast not bloody in it

I have also been known to put my toast in the freezer

Commissario
Just a slight bump to this thread to show how it should be done :D

Two slices of toast made with thick freshly home baked bread.

Buttered straight out of the toaster so that the butter soaks in but the toast is so thick that you get both textures, slightly soft on top but crunchy below (almost like a Double Decker but more excellent). They were buttered right to the edge but the edges soaked in more than the centre. The butter is both on the toast AND in it!
A quick twist of salt on top and eaten hot. The butter is stored outside the fridge so it's spreadable.

Om nom nom.

7bQGvZ8.jpeg

Caporegime
OP
Just a slight bump to this thread to show how it should be done :D

Two slices of toast made with thick freshly home baked bread.

Buttered straight out of the toaster so that the butter soaks in but the toast is so thick that you get both textures, slightly soft on top but crunchy below (almost like a Double Decker but more excellent). They were buttered right to the edge but the edges soaked in more than the centre. The butter is both on the toast AND in it!
A quick twist of salt on top and eaten hot. The butter is stored outside the fridge so it's spreadable.

Om nom nom.

7bQGvZ8.jpeg

I feel a meet is on the cards in our future. You are a man of the people :)

Associate
Now that we've established that hot toast is best toast, how do we feel about drunk toast vs hangover toast vs sober toast? Please note that the time that I'm posting this has nothing to do with the kind of toast I enjoy :D

Back
Top Bottom