E92 335i

Soldato
I loved my E92 335i but I ran a BMW warranty and ended up just paying less overall for the warranty than I would have for repairs, so it's hard to think what one may cost to run now without the warranty. I replaced it with a M240i and it's been far more reliable, I've kept the warranty.

Associate
I'm still running an N54 with a BMW warranty, I was expecting SOME maintenance, but the current list of:
Waterpump & Thermostat, HPFP and fuel sender, 2 X New Turbos, New coil packs, New Radio and a Wheel bearing (Which I was really surprised was covered by the warranty) is becoming ridiculous. Especially since I haven't owned the car 2 years yet :rolleyes:

Associate
I'm still running an N54 with a BMW warranty, I was expecting SOME maintenance, but the current list of:
Waterpump & Thermostat, HPFP and fuel sender, 2 X New Turbos, New coil packs, New Radio and a Wheel bearing (Which I was really surprised was covered by the warranty) is becoming ridiculous. Especially since I haven't owned the car 2 years yet :rolleyes:
Sound's about right. Have you done your injectors yet? What index are they

Associate
Sound's about right. Have you done your injectors yet? What index are they
Same as they were from new in 2008, so they'll be very early models, could even be index #1's.

The price of injectors has gotten silly now, you're looking at £200 per injector - and the 'secret' BMW part number that let you get them for half price has been found and stopped.

Just have to see what the warranty renewal is this year. Was £411 last year for the year but I've just gone over 60k, so I gather that may have some impact. What I will say is the warranty has been fantastic and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Associate

I have had my 135i coupe (N54) for 10 years now. It has been quite reliable. It has needed coils, injectors, walnut blast of the valves and some new vacuum hoses. Had a failed bearing in the diff @23k miles and BMW just replaced the whole diff :)
Clutch was replaced shortly after mapping to Sage2 @50k miles (~390bhp) now running a 550i clutch
1m coupe lower control arms added for more negative camber

Now at 80k miles it will have a few preventative maintenance items and a couple of upgrades :)
Water pump
thermostat
Pullies/tensioners & belt
Oil filter housing seal
Valve cover gasket seal
front main seal
Polybush all rear bushes
Quaife LSD :D
16mm rear anti roll bar

should then be good for another 5 years. Only thing that could let go is the Fuel pump and the wastegates on the turbos, which are a known weak point of the Mitsubishi turbos..

Soldato

To be honest, on a 10-15 year old car which probably hasn't had the easiest of lives - that's not that bad at all.

Water pump/thermostats can be considered as a service item after 10 years, coil packs are very common to be replaced in almost every old petrol car, same as wheel bearings. The only thing that's out of the ordinary on that is the HPFP, but that *is* a well known N54 thing and the parts cost a fraction of what they did before (£175 for a Bosch HPFP), and the turbos. And, admittedly, without knowing the details, I'd question if that was strictly necessary do replace the turbos and if they had failed. Back when I had one, BMW dealers would frequently replace the turbos just for the common "wastegate rattle" which was just the actuator rod rattling against the turbo housing and nothing more than a "quality issue".

I'd happily own another 335i. There are so many online resources covering this car and the N54 and so many spare parts that they are a good purchase. Gone are the days where you need a BMW warranty on these IMO.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, at least you've got an oxy-acetylene set to get you started with repairs :D

(Lovely car though, still one of the best looking BMWs made, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the black kidneys actually look fantastic)

Soldato
i had an E92 330i and loved it, had to get rid in the end as my back couldnt take putting a baby in the back, replaced with an new octavia vrs, love it but still miss the BMW.

I certainly got my money out of the BMW warranty.

Back
Top Bottom