• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen clock tuner 2.0

Soldato
OP
Up to you if you want to leave it at extreme or now. If you are using P1 and P2 those volts should be locked in and you can monitor those voltages in hwinfo see if you happy with the overshoot of volts.

Associate
There seems to be some misunderstanding in this thread about what CTR does. Unlike PBO which just increases power (and therefore heat which could throttle performance depending upon your cooling), clock tuner allows you to get more performance per volt by tuning the performance of each core.

The current public release of CTR has no per core control at all. It has per CCX control only, and some profile switching which is the 'magic' you don't get otherwise.

It's worth keeping in mind that Desktop Zen 3 doesn't even have separate voltages planes for each core. When multiple cores within a CCX request different voltages, the highest VID request wins and the rail is powered with that voltages and all cores get it regardless if they are in their C0 state.

Soldato
The current public release of CTR has no per core control at all. It has per CCX control only, and some profile switching which is the 'magic' you don't get otherwise.

It's worth keeping in mind that Desktop Zen 3 doesn't even have separate voltages planes for each core. When multiple cores within a CCX request different voltages, the highest VID request wins and the rail is powered with that voltages and all cores get it regardless if they are in their C0 state.
So basically if you have a single CCX chip then it's pointless using per core curve optimiser?.

Associate
So basically if you have a single CCX chip then it's pointless using per core curve optimiser?.

Not pointless, but how it actually operates isn't like most people expect. For low threaded workloads it's a fair win to tweak each/the best core. For multithread workloads the performance is dictated by the weakest core(s).

If you ran a load and PB2/PBO decided that 1.25V was the maximum safe voltage based on temps/power, and your cores had a performance profile like this:

Core 0: 4600 MHz 1.20 V
Core 1: 4600 MHz 1.25 V
Core 2: 4600 MHz 1.15 V
Core 3: 4600 MHz 1.20 V

You'd get 4600 MHz @ 1.25 V supplied to all cores. If you then applied some curve optimiser to cores 0, 2 and 3 nothing would happen. You'd still get 4600 MHz @ 1.25 V. If you applied curve optimiser to core 1 only performance would improve.

if you want to improve loads like gaming that comes from optimising your best cores, and the multicore load from the worse cores. You'll still want to find the limit for all cores for the best overall performance, it's just that for some loads curve optimiser may not actually be doing anything depending on the load applied and it's worth keeping that in mind.

Your performance is always set by the weakest core online at any given moment. It's why things like the 5950X can have a higher boost. While there will be some binning, a lot of it comes from the fact that with 16 cores you spend a lot of time with the 'weak' cores turned off/power gated. On a 5600X there's far less opportunity to power gate a significant number of cores so the peak boost clocks just naturally have to be more conservative.

Soldato
I just loaded this and hit diagnostics with CB20 disabled - its running tests at 4375mhz on my 5600x - is this ok? normal? Am I supposed to change something ? no idea what im doing and guru 3D guide made no sense tbh! :D

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I just loaded this and hit diagnostics with CB20 disabled - its running tests at 4375mhz on my 5600x - is this ok? normal? Am I supposed to change something ? no idea what im doing and guru 3D guide made no sense tbh! :D
Yip that’s normal.

Playing with it again this morning. It’s passed 4875mhz @ 1.35v. 4900mhz will need a another voltage bump, but I’m not particularly happy doing that.

CB23 results incoming.

*edit*

Reeeeeeeboot

Last edited:
Soldato
Yip that’s normal.

Playing with it again this morning. It’s passed 4875mhz @ 1.35v. 4900mhz will need a another voltage bump, but I’m not particularly happy doing that.

CB23 results incoming.

*edit*

Reeeeeeeboot

great!

ok so it’s tuning at the moment, how do I save it and make it work all the time? P2 save or something?

so far it’s at 4825mhz 1.3v

Associate
https://www.igorslab.de/en/clock-tu...en-5000-hybrid-oc-phoenix-mode-and-much-more/

This guide is much clearer than the one on Guru 3d. Re: DarkBahamut - It clearly states that in P0 and P2 profile CTR is able to put cores into a sleep state to prioritise the 1 or 2 best performing cores. The program switches between purely single threaded P0, heavily multi-threaded P1 and partially multi-threaded (gaming) P2 according to the CCX load. I am not sure if they or you are right about the individual cores but the way it adjusts load to optimise where the power goes seems intelligent

Soldato
https://www.igorslab.de/en/clock-tu...en-5000-hybrid-oc-phoenix-mode-and-much-more/

This guide is much clearer than the one on Guru 3d. Re: DarkBahamut - It clearly states that in P0 and P2 profile CTR is able to put cores into a sleep state to prioritise the 1 or 2 best performing cores. The program switches between purely single threaded P0, heavily multi-threaded P1 and partially multi-threaded (gaming) P2 according to the CCX load. I am not sure if they or you are right about the individual cores but the way it adjusts load to optimise where the power goes seems intelligent

Thanks ill read more of that in abit.

Been playing and it keeps crashing around 4825mhz as the volts get dropped lower and lower so put it at 4775mhz 1.3v for now and seems stable and running stability testing now - i want to play games now so gone a notch 'safer' than what CTR thinks just to make sure it doesnt crash.

Associate
you can see it in the log - no need to rerun - its all there :D CTRLOGS subfolder

cheers

C

This was from my log:

DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
Max temperature: 42.9°
Energy efficient: 4.07
Your CPU is GOLDEN SAMPLE
Recomended CCX delta: 150
Theoretical maximum CCX delta: 175
Recomended values for overclocking (P1 profile):
Reference voltage: 1100 mV
Reference frequency: 4400 MHz
Recomended values for overclocking (P2 profile):
Reference voltage: 1250 mV
Reference frequency: 4625 MHz
Recomended values for undervolting:
Reference voltage: 1000 mV
Reference frequency: 4175 MHz

Looks like it was a Golden sample after all.

Soldato
Can anyone help just explain if I've used the tool correctly? :) I'm a bit lost.

So I ran diagnostic first, that came back with the following:

DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
Max temperature: 69.4°
Energy efficient: 3.88
Your CPU is SILVER SAMPLE
Recomended values for overclocking (P1 profile):
Reference voltage: 1250 mV
Reference frequency: 4550 MHz
Recomended values for overclocking (P2 profile):
Reference voltage: 1325 mV
Reference frequency: 4625 MHz
Recomended values for undervolting:
Reference voltage: 1125 mV
Reference frequency: 4300 MHz

So I then ran "Tune" and I think it used the undervolting settings. Benchmark results below:

P1-Tuned.jpg

I then clicked into "Profile Management" and did "Fill P1" and then "Save P1". I then went back to the "Tuner" page and plumbed in the P2 profile info from above and pressed "Tune" again. New Benchmark results below:

P2-Tuned.jpg

I then finally went back into "Profile Management" and did "Fill P2" and then "Save P2". Then back to "Tuner" page where I enabled "CTR Hybrid OC" and "Autoload Profile with OS". I finally went back and did "Apply P0 Profile".

Profiles.jpg

Is that all there is to it? :) Just I'm not seeing in CPU-Z my CPU run at the P1 profile speed of 4250Mhz. Am I missing something?

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh I think I understand it now. So CPU behaves as normal until usage is anywhere between 25-85% (i.e. Gaming) and so you get improved performance from the P2 profile. If stressing the entire CPU over 80%, it'll use P1 profile. Which for me I've undervolted. Just took a while for me to understand the usage figures helped. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems your getting further than me - mine lowers the volts gradually then eventually it crashes, but this Phoenix malarky doesn't seem to work ? It doesn't seem to remember what it did before it crashed? Very annoying.

EDIT: Seems to have done it now

P1 which I assume is the lower power state is 4550 1150mv

and its let me save that as P1 now.

Now running P2 which is 4775mhz at 1300mv, hopefully if that works it will let me save as p2 and ill have a faster system ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't get this to start with OS at all. No entries in Task Scheduler.

Guess I'm going to have to manually add something. Can someone screenshot the Task Scheduler entry for their app so I can see any load parameters etc.

Associate
Mine is not exactly going great: after updating bios to Agesa 1.2.0.0, installing the new am4 x570 chipset drivers and enabling all the required BIOS settings, I ran diagnostic (bronze on 1st run then silver on second) then tune. I got higher voltage and PPT when tuned for basically the same cinebench score. Not exactly the more efficient outcome I was hoping for. Am trying again with tune before having a go at the P2 settings but unless I see 5-10% improvement when I benchmark in games I will go back to stock.

I also found previously that PBO didn't help vs stock and just raised temperatures for the same performance. Could be due to my cooler being relatively small due to my thin case.

Back
Top Bottom