Sony Xperia 5 II

Man of Honour
I've had it two weeks now so a little review.

What I really like:
1) The height, I didn't want it to be bigger than my Moto G8 Plus and it's the same height
2) It's easier to hold in the hand because it's 6mm less wide than the Moto G8 Plus.
3) The audio sound through my Cambridge Melomania 1s is awesome, as good as my DAP with expensive in-ears and I'm constantly in awe (I've tried friends Samsung Galaxy 20 & Huawei P30 Pro and the sound was nowhere near this).
4) Every phone camera I've used I always take 3 pictures and hope one of them is OK for editing, this camera is a superb picture with the first shot.
I also like how it has got it's own side button for the camera and you press it from a lockdown phone to start the camera up and take an immediate picture.
It hasn't got Macro but it does an emulation of Macro which I use a lot.
5) It is very fast

What I don't like:
1) Nothing

Still to use a lot of features, I don't play games but I've had a go at Call of Duty & Real Racing and the graphics were stunning and fast.

Associate
One feature Ive been using lately is multi-window. Mobile game along with a web browser/relay app works great.

Easy to setup too. Just double tap side sense and select multi window

Man of Honour
Free headphones arrived

www.dmpoole.co.uk/pics/sonyheadphones.JPG

sonyheadphones.JPG

Associate
I installed android 11 today.

I haven't played around much but I can't see much difference to be honest.

What is it that people are complaining about?

Soldato
Really not liking android 11. The chat bubbles are a pain as they always reset to the top left and notifications stay on my look screen even when I've read them.

Associate
I've installed 11 on my 5ii. Backed up on 10 and factory reset after installing 11. It did not find a backup and I had to restore from scratch. I'd suggest backing up to the cloud after installing 11 and then factory resetting.

No issues with notifications sticking or not appearing on my lock screen, though I do enable "Keep notifications" within any of the three places it is at in settings!

It fixed the issues with all video calling apps (Duo, WhatsApp etc) audio and video freeze and lag, and also fixed WiFi calling being inaudible.

Apparently it has fixed the issues with Netflix and other platforms videos not starting, requiring a reboot to solve (Never used these so can't confirm).

The Bluetooth in my car now acts as though the phone is far away, audio breaking up. It is fine with two different sets of Bluetooth headphones though, even if I leave my phone and wander around the house. There have been Bluetooth issues brought up on the Pixel too so this isn't entirely Sony's fault.

All in all I am very happy with the update. The fact it has fixed being able to use my phone as...a phone, now means I'll be keeping it rather than getting rid in favour of a Samsung of some kind, probably S20 FE or S21, or a Pixel 5...even considered going crazy and getting an iPhone 12 Pro!

Last edited:
Soldato
Might be a long shot, but anyone come from a Note 9/10 or even the 20?

Struggling to find a decent replacement for my Note 9.

I buckled and bought a Note 20 Ultra, but 2 months later sold it, as it just isn't good enough. I'm back on my Note 9.

This Sony seems to tick a lot of boxes, apart from wireless charging.

Soldato
Might be a long shot, but anyone come from a Note 9/10 or even the 20?

Struggling to find a decent replacement for my Note 9.

I buckled and bought a Note 20 Ultra, but 2 months later sold it, as it just isn't good enough. I'm back on my Note 9.

This Sony seems to tick a lot of boxes, apart from wireless charging.

I personally don't think the cameras are as good as Samsung

Associate
Yea, I find the the regular camera app slow to take photos compared to Samsung. The 'pro' apps are nice but not so easy for point and shoot.

Im still on the fence about android 11. Others seem to have no issues with it while some have big issues in notifications, ambient display, etc.

Man of Honour
Yea, I find the the regular camera app slow to take photos compared to Samsung

Using the dedicated camera button on the side I was able to pick the phone up and take a photo of Man City scoring about 2 seconds after they scored.
How much faster do you want it?

This is also the best camera I've ever had on a phone but it is my first expensive phone.

Back
Top Bottom