My house causing me health issues?

Soldato
Over the past year I’ve developed allergy-like symptoms, sneezing, coughing, runny nose which have progressively worsened to the stage its unbearable.

Doctors just prescribe antihistamines which make you drowsy and aren’t getting to the route of the cause.

Changed everything from shampoos, washing detergent, surface cleaners, stopped using aftershaves. Have a dog but thats not the cause as he’s with me everywhere i go. House is also spotless and dust free.

I’m reaching the conclusion that it must be something relating to the house.

Theory 1: Mould/dampness? Its a victorian villa, although nicely presented and decorated, it may have hidden dampness or something? Theres a high level of condensation and the extension(built by previous owner) isn’t exactly exemplary construction. No black mould showing.

Theory 2: A specific type of tree in the garden? I say this as i originally thought it was hay fever last summer. I could visit any country park and be fine but when restrictions eased i went to my other half’s parents, every time without fail, id be sitting in the garden sneezing with snotters streaming down my face! They have similar trees to my neighbours. Surely this would be seasonal though?

Has anyone experienced similar? With the house specifically, is there anything i can do to detect potential harmful dampness? As i write this, I’m lying with strepsils, pack of tissues, taken an antihistamine and sudafed just to sleep after waking up to a coughing/sneezing fit. Its pathetic but I’m miserable!

Caporegime
Bed allergies could be a possibility. Pillow / mattress.

The issue presenting at the other half's parents could be a red herring; something else also causing a reaction, like dust.

I have this thing where something in my in-laws's sitting room always sets me off - I suspect dust from their fireplace - but I don't really get the problem anywhere else.

If you haven't already, perhaps try changing your pillow. Maybe treating your mattress for mites.

Another theory (conjecture) I have is that immune systems haven't had to work as hard recently due to lack of social contact with others, and when restrictions are lifted everyone will get more sick than before with all kinds of things.

Medicine wise, back when I suffered with allergies I used to be prescribed fexofenadine-based antihistamines. I don't remember them making me drowsy, so perhaps check with your GP if there are any with less of a drowsy side effect.

I also seem to remember taking a steroidal nasal spray that helped with nasal and sinus inflammation.

Of course if there's an underlying issue with your house, like damp or mites, then medicine is only to keep you sane until you fix it.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can develop allergies later in life. You mention that it can't be the dog, but then you say he goes everywhere with you... What are you like when you are away from him?

Permabanned
How far are you from a road?

Symptoms like this can develop at any time in life, even if they are a reaction to so something. For example you may have been using the same soap for years then suddenly develop a reaction to it. So it may not be something new, it may be something you have been in contact with all your life, including something as simple as car exhaust.

Soldato
I’ve experienced the same sort of thing in the last year. The allergy season we normally have has been massively protracted and I think it’s just because we’re spending so much time in our homes.

Soldato
Trees, grass and flowers are chucking pollen out at different times for most of the year. I know personally I often start with hay fever for specific early tree pollen then it dies off for a bit until the grass starts. The dig will also probably be starting to milt about now as well.

Man of Honour
Any substantial mould type conditions enough to result in health issues like that you should smell fairly plainly - especially if you are elsewhere for a day or two and come back it should hit you as you walk into the house or room.

Might be worth checking down the back of anything especially furniture wise that is up against a wall though.

In some cases mould can be endemic in the walls i.e. previous occupant just papered over it and can still cause issues even when not visible.

Soldato
Have you looked at an air purifier/something that uses a hepa filter? That should help remove pollutants etc from the air.

Soldato
When I was 17 I ended up hospitalised with asthma because the landlord finally got round to addressing some of the damp issues in the house. Turns out that I'd been sleeping in a room at the epicentre of a massive dry rot problem all my life, which is why I'd had asthma and nasal allergy issues all that time.

So, er... it's possible there are hidden issues, even if that's 'just' the residue from previously treated damp issues. Pain in the backside to investigate, but what you're describing sounds like a lot more than just a change in local pollen types. Good luck tracking down the problems; allergies are seriously debilitating.

Soldato
I developed a real nasty cough due to the damp in a rented house. Actually had to move out, they just painted over it and rented it straight back out. Lovely bunch.

Soldato
I've had similar since July/August 2019. Doesn't sound as bad as yours but it's still pretty frustrating.

I've had several blood tests which suggest it is an allergy of some sort but yet to get any further as even with private referrals COVID is causing all sorts of issues with getting appointments plus I don't really want to be going in to a hospital for something so "minor" and taking the chance.

I'm thinking it could well be something house related. I bought in October 2017 and it had quite high moisture readings and some damp issues on the ground floor but I thought I found the root cause which was a completely blocked air vent in the bricked up chimney.

Condensation gets really bad on my bedroom window during winter but no mould build up visible anywhere. No wallpaper anywhere in the house as I stripped it all when I moved in so any mould would be visible if it was bad enough to cause issues I'm sure and I've checked.

Ultimately I'm waiting for another ENT referral and allergy testing (which will probably say I'm allergic to everything as they are meant to be pretty unreliable I think?) appointments

Soldato
Have you looked at an air purifier/something that uses a hepa filter? That should help remove pollutants etc from the air.
This is what I bought, it helps on days when wood burner fumes drift my way (rare but happens occasionally)
Also got a dehumidifier, one I set to stop at 55 rh, used to be a vague musty smell before but fine now and as its not running all the time the usage is peanuts, got one of the wisper quiet ones

Soldato
OP
You can develop allergies later in life. You mention that it can't be the dog, but then you say he goes everywhere with you... What are you like when you are away from him?

Take the dog to the office, sits in the car on the way to the park, even when he's being looked after during the day, when I collect him, I don't get any symptoms until I'm home.

How far are you from a road?

It's funny you should mention that; I'm set back from a main road. Traffic levels have been quieter this past year due to lockdowns though.

Could be hayfever, I’ve started really early this year and I normally start around May
That's why I thought I'd mention the tree scenario. Very unusual that I don't get any symptoms at parks with all manner of variety, though. The ones in the garden/inlaws are fir/arborvitae type things the size of the houses.
Do these actually work? Always sceptical.
When I was 17 I ended up hospitalised with asthma because the landlord finally got round to addressing some of the damp issues in the house. Turns out that I'd been sleeping in a room at the epicentre of a massive dry rot problem all my life, which is why I'd had asthma and nasal allergy issues all that time.

So, er... it's possible there are hidden issues, even if that's 'just' the residue from previously treated damp issues. Pain in the backside to investigate, but what you're describing sounds like a lot more than just a change in local pollen types. Good luck tracking down the problems; allergies are seriously debilitating.

That sounds horrendous! I'm going to get a damp meter to get some readings along with a dehumidifier.

Caporegime
Get a decent air purifier and see what happens they can remove multiple allergens including mould, pet hair, pollen, smoke, fumes,etc.

Phillips make some really good ones and don't cheap out spend decent money on it £200+

The £100 ones are only good enough to clean a single room.

Soldato
How often do you vacuum the bed/mattress? Dust mite dust allergy is often overlooked and the average mattress is crawling with them. Pollen isn't an issue at this time of year unless you have a lot of flowers in your house.

Soldato
OP
Get a decent air purifier and see what happens they can remove multiple allergens including mould, pet hair, pollen, smoke, fumes,etc.

Phillips make some really good ones and don't cheap out spend decent money on it £200+

The £100 ones are only good enough to clean a single room.

Ok, I'll check them out. :)

How often do you vacuum the bed/mattress? Dust mite dust allergy is often overlooked and the average mattress is crawling with them.
Once a week. I start sneezing and coughing in any room of the house, mostly the hallway which is an open space leading to the extension. I could as easily be sat in the living room or cooking dinner in the kitchen and it starts.

Soldato
OP
How often do you vacuum the bed/mattress? Dust mite dust allergy is often overlooked and the average mattress is crawling with them. Pollen isn't an issue at this time of year unless you have a lot of flowers in your house.
I've just realised, on thing I've never done is dust the chandelier. Although, the symptoms I'm experiencing seem far too extreme to be a bit of dust on the lighting?

Back
Top Bottom