Road Cycling

Associate
What do others do for eating after rides??

Up until Xmas I would just drink and eat as normal. I’m now down to a normal weight having lost 18kg and I now feel absolutely awful after a ride (~900 calories burnt). I had some chicken and rice today and felt a lot better than the last few weeks.

*edit*
Canyon - but I prefer the stealth as I don’t generally like white bikes

Soldato

Up until Xmas I would just drink and eat as normal. I’m now down to a normal weight having lost 18kg and I now feel absolutely awful after a ride (~900 calories burnt). I had some chicken and rice today and felt a lot better than the last few weeks.

*edit*
Canyon - but I prefer the stealth as I don’t generally like white bikes

Either have a regular meal followed by a snack or a snack followed by a regular meal depending on what time I finish.

Soldato
It's possibly just as important (if not more so?) what you eat before and during. I'm guessing at 900 cals it's only an hour to an hour and a half you're riding for, so fuelling while riding isn't so crucial? When you say you feel awful, how so?

Associate
It's possibly just as important (if not more so?) what you eat before and during. I'm guessing at 900 cals it's only an hour to an hour and a half you're riding for, so fuelling while riding isn't so crucial? When you say you feel awful, how so?

Yep 60-65 minutes normally and I don’t eat while riding. Feeling tired and hungry. I have been dieting for my main meals so maybe I need to eat more generally.

Soldato
Feeling tired and hungry.

Honestly I have just assumed that's how I should feel after a hard cycle? Actually, having said that, I find cycling can sometimes suppress my hunger (shorter rides, like an hour anyway). Definitely after a 3 hour ride I'm tired and hungry... but that's normal, right? If I was full of energy, I've not tried hard enough?

Soldato
What’s making you think that over a regular turbo?
I had a Tacx Neo for about 3 years and it was very good. The only issue was connecting the bike up to it every time I used it. It's risks scratching the frame, different levels of cassette wear impact gear changes and it took a little effort & time to setup.

With a solid bike setup I can dial in the measurements and its ready to go each time. I could buy a separate spare bike and Neo again but that's almost the cost of the Bike Smart.

Soldato
I had a Tacx Neo for about 3 years and it was very good. The only issue was connecting the bike up to it every time I used it. It's risks scratching the frame, different levels of cassette wear impact gear changes and it took a little effort & time to setup.

With a solid bike setup I can dial in the measurements and its ready to go each time. I could buy a separate spare bike and Neo again but that's almost the cost of the Bike Smart.

The latter was going to be my suggestion, because then you have a trainer and a spare bike. Stick the nice bike on the turbo in winter and the spare bike on the turbo in summer, win-win.

Soldato
Today's ride was biting. I need better gloves!
Three pairs of gloves for me!

The now quite old assos setup, a liner, a reasonable winter glove and the lobster over the top.

2 hours no problem. Think I’d have got cold arms/legs first. Just in standard winter bibs not extreme deep winters. Only did 60km and feeling tired now!

Soldato
Your thoughts on these two bikes

2021 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 DISC eTap

50915789751_b826118f37_b.jpg

Or

2021 Trek Madone SLR 7 Disc eTap

50915920717_ece56bbe04_b.jpg
They're both gorgeous popular and fast bikes so there really is no 'bad choice', that's the problem! What's the price difference, or is that not a huge concern?

For me it would be the Madone - that frameset is getting better and better, it's one of the more comfortable aero bikes. Also ProjectOne? So get the colours you want (see some gorgeous combinations). The Aeroad is being replaced soon I think? So quite an old design, it's also known to be quite a harsh ride compared to many others, also probably has less tyre clearance (although can't be that bad with the new 404's on there).

Depends on the kind of ride. If it's a solo 'power hour' type ride I'll generally have a snack before heading out or have had something 'more' (than normal) the meal before. So for a morning where I'd normally have a slice or two of toast with my morning coffee, I'll also have a bowl of cereal/porridge. That generally gives me enough fuel in the tank to not even be hungry when I get home. A protein shake is a great way of having something 'good' immediately afterwards.

The times I've been caught out (and pretty much bonked on the way home!), the immediate things I'll eat are usually sugar based to get something back in the system - a coffee with an extra sugar or an energy drink, couple of biscuits and a chocolate bar. It's very easy to become a 'snack black hole' after a ride, but the best thing (as mentioned) is a proper meal. So usually getting enough in to get rid of the hunger pangs and 'keep going' until then should be your aim. If you're not bonking and just hangry after riding then grains are good (as you've found). They'll generally make you feel full and slow release carbs will help you continue to feel 'less-empty' (why they're also good before a ride).

Some of the 2-3 hour group rides I do/did are so variable on pace I'd tend to take food with me, knowing if a normal pace I wouldn't normally need it. But if a couple of fast guys show up, or we go further/harder than usual I'll be snacking in that second/third hour. So usually just taking a couple of muesli bars with me is an easy thing to do (recent favourite NAKD).

Does anyone on here have the Tacx Neo Bike Smart? Any user feedback?
Better asking in the Turbo/Indoor thread, but I don't recall anyone here saying they had one. So could be worth checking elsewhere online at user feedback.

Of the groups I'm in I hear of lots of people with issues on their SB's, usually shifter related, although at least 2 currently going through belt tension/flywheel issues too. I recall quite a few with button problems when steering came out, but unsure if that was Neo bike/Kickr bike/Stages bike related. Know a few guys who went for new bikes, had a bunch of issues and generally ended up back on Wattbikes. But if it was me I'd go Kickr/Neo bike as the trainer parts of them are well regarded (as they're almost the same as the Kickr & Neo).

Last edited:
Soldato
They're both gorgeous popular and fast bikes so there really is no 'bad choice', that's the problem! What's the price difference, or is that not a huge concern?

For me it would be the Madone - that frameset is getting better and better, it's one of the more comfortable aero bikes. Also ProjectOne? So get the colours you want (see some gorgeous combinations). The Aeroad is being replaced soon I think? So quite an old design, it's also known to be quite a harsh ride compared to many others, also probably has less tyre clearance (although can't be that bad with the new 404's on there).

I've been researching bike information over the weekend with a view of buying another aero bike later in the year. I need to get my fitness back first, so have ordered a Tacx Neo 2, to start up on Zwift again.

Firstly, bike prices have gone crazy high. I don't mind spending money on bikes but currently :eek:
  • Trek Madone
    I love the looks of this, the colours choice is great with custom options too. Only problem is the bike weight, mid 8kg's just feels too much for an all round bike. Also, a good spec is over £10k but still comes with generic wheels.

• Specialized Tarmac SL7
    Wow at the S-Works price : £12k, where did that come from ?!?!
    The lower priced (£7.2k) eTep version is 1x up front. Saves weight but adds big jumps between gears and the colour is plain white :(

• Canyon Aeroad - New model launched October 2020
    So this is nearly the perfect bike. I had the previous gen disc brake version, covering over 18k miles in 3 years and it was great. This latest version improves on the weak points on that by having integrated cables to clean up the look. However, the seat post design is very flawed. The internet is full of owners having slip and carbon wear issues, so that clearly needs a fix. Also, the colours are dull with the choice being all black or black and white :(
Canyon seat post - You can image what Durian Rider has said about this design :p

50921877552_34d363feeb_z.jpg
50921879697_c32b0cdcd5_z.jpg

Associate
Your thoughts on these two bikes

2021 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 DISC eTap

50915789751_b826118f37_b.jpg

Or

2021 Trek Madone SLR 7 Disc eTap

50915920717_ece56bbe04_b.jpg

madone by a mile. I may be bias though

only problem with the madone is the bottom bracket grooves are built into the frame. If you don’t keep an eye on it you can actually total the frame.

I clean mine out once a year, change the bearings and re lube. No way I take it out on wet winters days but I’ve been caught in bad weather before and it’s survived that.

Also, if you get it pre built make sure whoever did it used the right size bearings, I know of two people that had the wrong sizes fitted.

Last edited:
Associate
For 10k, a bike you'd need to nurse everywhere and are scared of getting wet, seems good value :p

it’s not that bad I’ve done some pretty wet rides on it and never had an issue but I maintain all my bikes on a regular basis. I’ve read a few horror stories where the bottom bracket has locked up on people during a ride but they tend to get slated for spending that kind of money but not cleaning a bike let alone stripping it for a deep clean.

tbh if you’re spending 10k on a bike you should have a winter bike anyways. Heavier the better I say... winter miles = summer smiles as they.

Ps they can be a lot cheaper if you buy the frame set then build yourself.

Soldato
For 10k, a bike you'd need to nurse everywhere and are scared of getting wet, seems good value :p
My last bike was used all through the year, including on an indoor trainer and it was fine after 3 years and over 18 thousand miles. Sure it needed regular servicing and maintenance but no issues with the frame, brakes or bearings. No point buying a bike to keep it in the garage :)

Soldato
Now just doesn't appear to be the right time to buy a bike.
- Costs are crazy high; doubtful they will they come down in price but they may stabilise for a couple of years. Looking at the Canyon Aeroad range, the Di2 8 model has increased in price by 25% in 3 years. That is a big increase, for a like-for-like spec comparison.
- There is a major lack of stock
- Club rides aren't happening

Sad times :(

Associate
My last bike was used all through the year, including on an indoor trainer and it was fine after 3 years and over 18 thousand miles. Sure it needed regular servicing and maintenance but no issues with the frame, brakes or bearings. No point buying a bike to keep it in the garage :)

see you get it, you actually maintain your bikes. I probably made the madone issue sound worse than it is. The problem is when they get wet for prolonged periods of time (or in windy sandy countries) the dirt gets built up in the bottom bracket then strips the inner frame section.

It's not the main reason for me not using it in the winter, it's just the cost of the thing. I got away with a big come off in Switzerland last summer so i'm even more cautious now.

Back
Top Bottom