Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Gosh this thread moves quick.

Ended up selling my GME at a small profit after buying in around the 230 mark from memory. Glad I did now.

Upped my holdings of BB to 300 shares and will leave it now for a few years.

Been looking at marijuana stocks recently and might do a small flutter there.

Otherwise, just been feeding the index trackers as per usual

Associate
Out of curiosity, excluding pensions and stuff, what are peoples thoughts on a core investment. For me its a blend between the Lifestrategy 100%, and a HSBC FTSE All World Index tracker fund.

I generally follow the rule most investors cant beat an index long term, so only have about maybe 10% of my other investments in self picked funds, and stocks.

Associate
I'm sitting here and exploring possible future funds to invest in to diversify my risks. At the moment I have 2 funds aimed at technology and 1 Baillie Gifford American fund.

What should I look at to diversify a bit more? I'm thinking about some funds towards renewable/sustainable energy and health care. I'm also thinking about adding a fund aimed at China. Any suggestions or ideas otherwise?

Soldato
Out of curiosity, excluding pensions and stuff, what are peoples thoughts on a core investment. For me its a blend between the Lifestrategy 100%, and a HSBC FTSE All World Index tracker fund.

I generally follow the rule most investors cant beat an index long term, so only have about maybe 10% of my other investments in self picked funds, and stocks.
I am pretty 'vanilla', FTSE All Cap and Ballie Gifford Positive Change :)

Soldato
I'm sitting here and exploring possible future funds to invest in to diversify my risks. At the moment I have 2 funds aimed at technology and 1 Baillie Gifford American fund.

What should I look at to diversify a bit more? I'm thinking about some funds towards renewable/sustainable energy and health care. I'm also thinking about adding a fund aimed at China. Any suggestions or ideas otherwise?

It's fine to diversify, but a lot of it depends on how much you have invested.

Honestly no point in diversifying £5/10k or something in reality.....two/three funds is enough to spread around. Larger sums yes - but sometimes people diversify too much. I have a client who had around 200k in ISA's - he'd self managed them for years himself - but got to the point he wanted some advice/help with them. After getting the details and reviewing his investments, turned out he had 32 funds and 18 individual shares. Diversifying had been rammed down his throat by press/Sunday Times etc but he'd gone way over the top.

My SIPP has around 11 funds and 1 individual share (Firstgroup)

ISA has 7 funds, similar to SIPP.

I do my 6 monthly review around the end of this month. Don't chop/change much as it's all long term holdings/growth I'm after.

If I buy individual shares, it's for long term holding - I rarely "trade" them (apart from GME situation)

Soldato

Here's mine, I was about to type them out and realised it's basically all of them:

1nFhQfF.jpg

As you can see it's my UK-focused funds that have been dire, so if I was to cull any it'd be those. I'm sure there's some overlap too but running HL's portfolio analysis it's pretty diverse; discounting Tesla my weightings are 2-8% each in 14 sectors with every underlying share holding under 1% (top 10 are Unilever, Diageo, LSE, Apple, Nintendo, Heineken, Microsoft, Amazon and Disney).

Associate

I tend to agree. I hold both as my core along with an L&G variant...however Vanguard 100% is more UK heavy allocation, so has been a bit of a drag on performance (will UK continue to drag?). The HSBC FTSE All World is still U.S. / tech heavy (so you may consider looking at a small Emerging Markets index fund?). On another note I've split between platform and fund company too.

Sold small ARGO last week + and now Musk tweets - :rolleyes: Interesting that Tesla and Bitcoin may now be linked - the future...but risky? hmmm

Caporegime
Well, so far i think im going to rent myself out as a Stock predictor to the hedge funds, because if a stock is going up, you can garauntee that as soon as i buy it, that is the high point and then it goes back down.

Like...almost to an uncanny level :p

Caporegime
kinda funny ELON promoted doge so much then buys BTC.

it's like he knew people would convert BTC to doge and drop the BTC price a little so he could try to buy at a discount :O

Soldato
Well, so far i think im going to rent myself out as a Stock predictor to the hedge funds, because if a stock is going up, you can garauntee that as soon as i buy it, that is the high point and then it goes back down.

Like...almost to an uncanny level :p

Stick to Buffet's advice, if you like the stock, at least wait until it has a red day before you buy it....usually avoids the risk of an immediate reversal!

Back
Top Bottom