How to get this bulb out?

Soldato
I can’t get this bulb out of the holder. I’ve no idea if it’s a bayonet bulb or a screw in one but whatever I do it’s not moving. Is there something I need to do with the plastic housing in order to detach the bulb?

Associate
Looks like the glass may have detached from the metal bit. Don't believe the plastic is part of the light bulb.
I assume that's a bathroom/outdoor light, due to the casing, so maybe rust may have it attached. Job for a plier and very, very, very thick gloves and eye protection.

Caporegime
from the spiral pattern on the plastic I'd guess it's supposed to screw in/out but it's been there so long it's almost fused in there.
if you have to use force the glass will either break in your hand or detach from the metal base.

might be easier to smash the glass into a bag then get the rest out with some pliers, but I'm not an expert

Associate
Looks unusual, looks to me like it pulls out with a retaining clasp visible at the front. I'm assuming theres another on the other side that isn't engaged properly which is why the bulb isn't sitting flush?!?! Good luck finding a replacement, like the others I'd be tempted to get something more standard.

Soldato
Looks unusual, looks to me like it pulls out with a retaining clasp visible at the front. I'm assuming theres another on the other side that isn't engaged properly which is why the bulb isn't sitting flush?!?! Good luck finding a replacement, like the others I'd be tempted to get something more standard.

thats just the lamp holder.

its a normal screw type lamp

Soldato
OP

Well spotted. I’ve already had a go at unclipping it. It’s wired in to the section that unclips though and I couldn’t see a way to unscrew the wiring. I’m going to try the WD40 first then unclipping it if that doesn’t work. Smashing the bulb is a final resort... The good news is that it’s just a standard candle bulb.

Caporegime
Can't you pry a flat head into that top part of the plastic that (opposite the one thats detached?), looks funky as hell.

Theres one screw in the casing, just un-do that and remove the whole lot tbh., if you can.

Soldato
OP
Can't you pry a flat head into that top part of the plastic that (opposite the one thats detached?), looks funky as hell.

Theres one screw in the casing, just un-do that and remove the whole lot tbh., if you can.

Yes you can detach the plastic holder but as I said there are wires attached to it and I couldn't see a way to get the out. A firm pull probably but of course only after I've flipped the fuse...

Associate
Im pretty sure that plastic holder is part of the fitting and shouldn't be removed... Its almost certainly an SES bulb thats just become seized. Some WD40 and a firm grip should let you just unscrew it. Failing that break the glass and unscrew with some pliers. Make sure you turn off the circuit at the fuse board first though!

/Salsa

Soldato
OP
I can only work on it when it’s daylight which is why I’ve not done anything yet (I don’t work from home) however, there’s a good chance I’ll be snowed in tomorrow so I’ll report back sometime tomorrow.

Man of Honour
I assume you've tried pushing it backwards into the casing slightly before twist as per bayonet style? and not just tried twisting it out.

Back
Top Bottom