• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 1700x

Associate
I have currently got a 1700x and a MSI x370 xpower titanium motherboard with 32GB DDR4 3000MHz and an RX580.

My motherboard is giving issues using slots 1 and 3 on the ram, which I have troubleshooted down to not being the motherboard cpu or the ram. All my sticks of ram can pass a memory test in slots 2 and 4. A different cpu (2200g) exhibits the same issue so it's not the CPU IMC.

Pc is used mainly for graphic design (Adobe illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop etc) and sometimes for gaming by be. The existing CPU is pretty good in terms of horsepower however seems like with how the motherboards are segmented, I need to spend money on a new CPU and board to future proof or give myself limited upgrade options if I want to stay on my 1700x. Budget wise I guess under £500 of I have to do motherboard and CPU. Or do I stick in a b450 board and run it until it's too slow?

Last edited:
Soldato
A 3900X should be a decent upgrade without changing the board, the IMC is better on this CPU also so should be able to get a bit more out of your ram.

Soldato
could be just first gen ryzen chipset issues. thats why i went 4 series insted of 3. a x470 chipset board would be cheapo to get.
you said your issue is not mobo related. but you said you also tried a different cpu and same problem which then must be the mobo.

Associate
OP
A 3900X should be a decent upgrade without changing the board, the IMC is better on this CPU also so should be able to get a bit more out of your ram.
I think the current board is the issue, I can use any of my 4 ram sticks in slots 2 and 4. If i put just 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3, I get bluescreens or it fails to boot. I tried a 2200g and this shows the same behaviour on slots 1 and 3.

Soldato
I think the current board is the issue, I can use any of my 4 ram sticks in slots 2 and 4. If i put just 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3, I get bluescreens or it fails to boot. I tried a 2200g and this shows the same behaviour on slots 1 and 3.

Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks especially older ryzen which includes both the 1700X and 2200g, the new 3000/5000 series are much improved and shouldn't have much issue in running 4 dimms at 3000mhz.

Soldato
i read a lot of this about people saying cpu x or mobo x doesnt like 4 sticks etc but then why is a mobo made with 4 ram slots if they cant all be used at once? these boards and cpus would have in house testing done to make sure they work with all ram slots populated. sure you may need to check the qualified vendor list thingy to see whats compatible but if not over clocking it should work.
here is ryzen ram speed:
ddr4-memory-support.jpg

Soldato
Zen was incredibly picky when it came to memory and much of this was down to the CPUs memory controller, drop in a new CPU and memory support is much better.

Back
Top Bottom