• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Associate
The PSU front is quite interesting. Though I wouldn't say that just 3090s are to blame. While I was still sourcing parts I ran a 3090 with a 2700k @ 4.7 Ghz for a while. On an AX760 it ran perfectly even with the power limit maxed out. No problems pulling 400 W all day long.

I then fitted a 5950X once I got hold of one. Time spy extreme tripped OCP within 30 seconds and shut down.

The spikey nature of modern CPUs turbo also seems to contribute noticeable to what will and will not work. Since upgraded to an AX1000 and no further issues.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
The PSU front is quite interesting. Though I wouldn't say that just 3090s are to blame. While I was still sourcing parts I ran a 3090 with a 2700k @ 4.7 Ghz for a while. On an AX760 it ran perfectly even with the power limit maxed out. No problems pulling 400 W all day long.

I then fitted a 5950X once I got hold of one. Time spy extreme tripped OCP within 30 seconds and shut down.

The spikey nature of modern CPUs turbo also seems to contribute noticeable to what will and will not work. Since upgraded to an AX1000 and no further issues.

Well that’s sort of reassuring seeing as I have a 5950X inbound soon and I’ve just upgraded to a 1KW PSU. Honestly thought an 850W would be sufficient but better safe than sorry.

Soldato
I have my PC insured as a special item as I have a total cover cost of 4.5K but thought it would only cover accidental damage, not power surges/failures etc.

how do they test for surges? Just say there was a lot of lighting that day and your pc just shut down during the storm

Caporegime
Not sure who would want a blower version, would almost certainly be a lot louder than the fe to try and maintain the clock speeds of the better fe cooler.

Associate
OK, ive not long owned this card, the MSI Suprim X version. I did a bog standard bench in timepsy to see what I was looking at results wise. I set dragon center to "Extreme performance" and my combined result came out around 17.5k, temp reached about 72 degrees. What can i tweak with not much temp headroom, can undervolting get a better result with these cards?

Also, it looks like my 2 x NVMe drives are causing my GPU to run in PCIe 3.0 x8 mode rather than x16. Will I be sacrificing much performance by doing this?

Last edited:
Associate
Just flashed the bios from the oc gamerock to my normal gamerock on the second (slow) bios. Works like a charm, 420-470w unlocked. Has anyone here done that to?

Temps are almost identical, but more constant and higher boost.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Just flashed the bios from the oc gamerock to my normal gamerock on the second (slow) bios. Works like a charm, 420-470w unlocked. Has anyone here done that to?

Temps are almost identical, but more constant and higher boost.

Nope, but I’d do the same if mine wasn’t an FE.

Did it with my Zotac 2080Ti though, with a similar power boost. Always more potential there if you can keep the card cool enough with significantly more power.

Good luck to you. :D

Soldato
Anyone know how many watts are required for the card to literally NEVER drop below 2000mhz? I'm running 450watts now on a Suprem-X Bios and still under heaviest load in 3d mark it's possible to hit power limit and clock down to 1950mhz at 100% usage.

Actually I'm thinking this might simply be temperature doing this. Hmm gotta keep card under 59c somehow...........Going to retry that exact test with 100% fan speed.

Soldato
Anyone know how many watts are required for the card to literally NEVER drop below 2000mhz? I'm running 450watts now on a Suprem-X Bios and still under heaviest load in 3d mark it's possible to hit power limit and clock down to 1950mhz at 100% usage.

Actually I'm thinking this might simply be temperature doing this. Hmm gotta keep card under 59c somehow...........Going to retry that exact test with 100% fan speed.

Try also undervolting slightly. I find that if you smash the voltage, the card will bounce off the power limit and dip harder. Usually lowering voltage means you won't peak as high, but will not hit the power limit and dip up and down as much.
Overall in games does not matter as you don't draw full power (bar a few RT games)

OK, ive not long owned this card, the MSI Suprim X version. I did a bog standard bench in timepsy to see what I was looking at results wise. I set dragon center to "Extreme performance" and my combined result came out around 17.5k, temp reached about 72 degrees. What can i tweak with not much temp headroom, can undervolting get a better result with these cards?

Also, it looks like my 2 x NVMe drives are causing my GPU to run in PCIe 3.0 x8 mode rather than x16. Will I be sacrificing much performance by doing this?

Crank up the fan speed. Also try messing with the voltage curve. Can sometimes get better results by not trying to go absolutely all out in performance and smash off the power limit.

Back
Top Bottom