In market for new car, let's talk diagnostic software

Associate
Hi,
I am closing on car change date, currently Skoda Superb and I have VCDS to monitor, diagnose and reconfigure car features etc.

What is equivalent software name for BMW, Hyundai, Lexus, Toyota..?
I can stay with VW group as car range there is plenty, but if ocassion happens I am open to other brands and want to be knolwedgeable on that front as well..

For those who don't know what VCDS is: for almost all VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat car I can read ODBC codes and can clear them, but on top of that I can access every controller in car and have it modified to enable or reconfigure features of car.
For example I have enabled rain sensor activated windows closing feature, hill hold and XDC, turned on needle sweep (reserved usualy for higher VW models) and few other which I now can't remember - and all of it for mere 300 pounds..

Soldato
For ford and Mazda you can use Forscan.
On my current car I've enabled and disabled all sorts and changed colours and layout of the dash.

Associate
OP
Exactly what I asked for, thanks guys.. Any other names for other brands?

As old polish idiom read: I don't plan to buy cars that names start with F: Ford, Fiat, french..

Soldato
For Volvo, VIDA is the official Software used by the dealers for diagnostics, coding features, resetting service light etc. DiCE is the interface hardware (Chinese clones are available). There’s also vdash which is a 3rd party tool that can do some unofficial config via the DiCE hardware.

Soldato
Hyundai and Kia’s equivalent is software called GDS (by GIT) with the supplied VCI tool, of which there are plenty of clones. This was superseded in 2016-2017 (I believe) by a wireless dongle that connects to a Samsung android tablet running a newer version of GDS.

I have a older Hyundai and the keyless system failed. I tried everything, including dealer diagnostic, and took a gamble by purchasing one of these clone kits at £82. I’m so glad I did as I was able to see all modules within my vehicle and prove the Hyundai dealers diagnostics were incorrect. I was able to buy a used Smartkey module and pair it with my car thanks to this software. Had I decided to get the module replaced and programmed by a dealership I would’ve needed to pay out £1600..

Associate
OP
Hyundai and Kia’s equivalent is software called GDS (by GIT) with the supplied VCI tool, of which there are plenty of clones. This was superseded in 2016-2017 (I believe) by a wireless dongle that connects to a Samsung android tablet running a newer version of GDS.
...I was able to buy a used Smartkey module and pair it with my car thanks to this software. Had I decided to get the module replaced and programmed by a dealership I would’ve needed to pay out £1600..

Exact reason for VCDS - don't like stealerships and am fairly computer-literate to make my own decision in most cases..
Thanks for your software names, appreciate.

Soldato
Toyota/Lexus use Techstream. You can find it online easily. Does diagnostics, coding, key programming, everything really.

Soldato
I think all of the manufacturers have varying degrees of software depending on what functionality you need. BMW have ISTA+ for dealer friendliness then E-Sys for more advanced stuff. The more advanced software can do a lot of damage to coding though if not used correctly. E-Sys for example within a few clicks you can erase the coding out of a module to the point where the car won't start anymore! Although the interface itself is in English, the coding values in E-Sys are also all in German.

Also depends on the age of the car as well. For example ISTA+ is aimed more at F and G Series - ISTA/D and ISTA-P or INPA is better for E-Series backwards but needs matching Psdzdata.

I've used VCDS when I had my Audi and it's very user friendly - although there's lots of guides on E-Sys, it's most definitely not!

For ISTA to offer all the features you also need access to a dealership AOS account.

Back
Top Bottom