Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
It’s a lot when you have 1.5b worth !

Think you have to put the investment decisions Elon Musk makes into context.

If I had nearly 200 billion dollars to my name, I'd probably punt 1.5 billion on BTC, particularly as I know doing so will immediately move the market upwards.

Soldato
Here's mine, I was about to type them out and realised it's basically all of them:

As you can see it's my UK-focused funds that have been dire, so if I was to cull any it'd be those. I'm sure there's some overlap too but running HL's portfolio analysis it's pretty diverse; discounting Tesla my weightings are 2-8% each in 14 sectors with every underlying share holding under 1% (top 10 are Unilever, Diageo, LSE, Apple, Nintendo, Heineken, Microsoft, Amazon and Disney).

Your in a similar position to me. It's depressing seeing so little gains on UK funds compared to the US. Im giving it another six months before I close on the UK mainly because a) Im looking to see growth once covid starts to cool down in the summer and b) feel the US markets are so ridiculous at the moment that a crash is almost inevitable.

Caporegime
Think you have to put the investment decisions Elon Musk makes into context.

If I had nearly 200 billion dollars to my name, I'd probably punt 1.5 billion on BTC, particularly as I know doing so will immediately move the market upwards.

Tesla purchased it not Elon? Tesla is worth a boat load more than 200 billion.

1.5 billion is almost an insignificant amount of money to them.

Caporegime
Also, wasn't the purchase in Jan?
he tweeted the words "doge" in december though ;)

but yes it's tesla buying them not elon personally, seems they will soon start accepting bitcoins for cars

I'd imagine he privately owns some anyway though when he knows tesla plan to accept it as a payment.

Soldato
Tesla purchased it not Elon? Tesla is worth a boat load more than 200 billion.

1.5 billion is almost an insignificant amount of money to them.

Well, 'worth' is a difficult thing when you're talking about stocks...but yeah. Tesla bought them, at Elon's direction.

They have vast amounts of cash on hand, it's usual to invest it. He's just decided to punt it on BTC.

Soldato
As a Tesla owner myself (sadly not stock) I would not put a great deal of faith in what Elon says vs what actually happens.

I find it hard to see this as anything other than market manipulation? It's not a regulated market, sure, but that doesn't mean it's immune from manipulation - if anything it's more vulnerable to it because of the lack of oversight. Tesla made ~$200m, maybe more at this point, just from making that announcement. I don't expect we'll see an announcement when they liquidate their position.

Soldato
Yeh still really strange thou, as they have debt of like 14 billion, and cash equivalent of like 8 billion, so still like 5+ billion in debt, if i was a shareholder, or debtor i would not like it myself.

Edit: i might add that is from a article oct 2020 from what i read online.

According to the Tesla’s most recent financial statement as reported on July 28, 2020, total debt is at $14.10 billion, with $10.42 billion in long-term debt and $3.68 billion in current debt. Adjusting for $8.62 billion in cash-equivalents, the company has a net debt of $5.48 billion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pretty shrewed move. He knows that big companies like tesla buying into it and allowing it for purchases will only make the price go up. I bet other big companies follow their lead now.

Caporegime
I don't get why they need to buy $1.5b of it though to accept it as payment. If i was a regular investor in Tesla, i've be wondering why they're buying it.
if they plan to accept it as payment they are probably required to hold a certain amount or some such I'd imagine to cover volatility with refunds or whatever

Associate
It's fine to diversify, but a lot of it depends on how much you have invested.

Honestly no point in diversifying £5/10k or something in reality.....two/three funds is enough to spread around. Larger sums yes - but sometimes people diversify too much. I have a client who had around 200k in ISA's - he'd self managed them for years himself - but got to the point he wanted some advice/help with them. After getting the details and reviewing his investments, turned out he had 32 funds and 18 individual shares. Diversifying had been rammed down his throat by press/Sunday Times etc but he'd gone way over the top.

My SIPP has around 11 funds and 1 individual share (Firstgroup)

ISA has 7 funds, similar to SIPP.

I do my 6 monthly review around the end of this month. Don't chop/change much as it's all long term holdings/growth I'm after.

If I buy individual shares, it's for long term holding - I rarely "trade" them (apart from GME situation)

I'm not having big sums of money yet as I've just started to invest long term. I'm mainly focusing on funds as I don't have too much knowledge about shares or enough funds to invest properly in shares. I just want to make sure I don't have everything in the same markets.

Back
Top Bottom