Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve (1500R) 34” 1440 144Hz VA panel FreeSync Premium Pro

Associate
Associate
Hey guys,

new member here. Thanks for the read and opinions, since I struggled with this monitor, wether I should keep it or not.

I'm on my second one now, the first one I received still had the old firmware. I had massive flickering, it started with Assassins Creed Origins and didn't go away from there on.
Even turning off Freesync didn't help.

I ordered an Acer Predator Z35p for comparison, since it has GSync and I'm using an RTX3080. There was no flickering at all with this monitor, although I read that GSync-flicker is also possible.
Two weeks later my second Iiyma with the new Firmware arrived, and the flickering is only present in loading screens in AC Origins and Battlefront 2. I had one flash ingame so far, nothing more.
I also tried Cyberpunk 2077 and chose the graphics settings so it would always drop in and out of the freesync range at approx. 48 hz. No flickering there. It only happens if you get a frametime
spike at high refresh rates (more than 100 Hz for me), what happens in 2 games so far in loading screens.

I also ordered a Vesa-certified DP cable from Club3d as recommended, but it didn't change anything for me.

Adaptive sync aside, the Iiyama's image quality in my opinion is far superior to the Acer. The colors on the Acer look washed out, and changing the settings heavily could only bring them close to
the Iiyama, but never the same. It looks like the Predator is missing some color shades, it's especially noticeable in skies (in AC Origins).

The Acer has massive bezels, it looks kinda clunky next to the sleek Iiyama. Also, the Iiyama seems to be sharper.
I just attribute that to the 34 inch panel compared to the 35 inch of the Acer at the same resolution.

The price increase over the Iiyama (ca 300 € over here) wasn't worth it for me, since I'm not bothered that much by a loading screen that flickers one or two times. Also, I'm bound to NVidia with
GSync, and with AMD back in the game and me keeping my monitors longer than my GPU, Freesync is the better choice for the future.

The next screen that was interesting for me is the LG 34GN850, but it's nearly double the price, the IPS Panel has lower contrast and I'm starting to love the blacks that VA gives me.
I'm not bothered by the VA ghosting, but I don't play competitive shooters, so maybe I'm insensitive to this problem.

TL,DR: Flickering is much less with the new firmware, but still present. If you can't stand it, you have to go up in price and probably have to deal with worse image quality until you get to real expensive screens.

Associate
Hi.
I tried to play with CRU and timing and I was able to reduce flickering, but not completely remove.
The monitor use reduced blanking to achieve 144Hz with 767MHz Pixel clock. So I set in CRU 138Hz and standard LCD tiiming. With this settings it looks for me toflicker less and also you remove problem with VRAM clock is still on max, even in IDLE.

Last edited:
Associate
I looks like I finally found a settings to get rid of the flickering! :)
First, in CRU set timing to "Exact" and 144Hz (Pixel clock will be slightly higher, but don't worry). This help too with "bug", that on some video-cards VRAM clock stick on max.
Then set FreeSync range to 140Hz.
In Remrant from the Ashes I don't have any flickering (this game was very sensitive to this and 100% reproducible) even in loading screens! I tested also Unravel 2, Sniper Elite 4 and Cyberpunk successfully.
I use RivaTuner to cap FPS to 138, but even on 144 I didn't see any tearing.
yxQ4vp.jpg

DjxUGu.jpg

Associate
Does someone also have the problem with short blackouts? Especially at 100 Hz, the screen sometimes goes dark for around 1-2 seconds. I've also had blackouts at 144 Hz, though only on desktop so far, and really short, so you just could notice it has blacked out but is instantly on again.

Could be related to my second monitor though, as it runs on 60 Hz.

LRT

LRT

Associate
Interesting, perhaps (as I suggested some time ago), the brightness flickering has been acknowledged by AMD?
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.1 Highlights:
Known Issues:
Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games or applications when Radeon™ FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen.

Soldato
Hi, interested in this monitor as it is such good value for the money, two questions though. 1) How deep is it from the rear of the stand to the front of the monitor, if someone could kindly measure this for me please, and 2) where are the firmware updates sourced from, I can't see any links on the website.
Cheers...

Edit: been through this thread in it's entirety and found the answer to my firmware question.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just received mine and set it up, excellent PQ in windows just needs some tweaking so I'll go through this thread to have a look at other owners setups. The Powertoys FancyZone really works well with a ultra wide screen as I have to have several windows open whilst I provide my remote support to school staff.
This monitor is a bargain at £409 although was prolly cheaper before christmas.

Edit: So far. no dead pixels, no flickering, although not had a chance to try a game yet as working from. Scrolling seems fine and when I enable HDR in the actual monitor settings I get a very good picture. VRR and 144hz all enabled.

Last edited:
Associate
Just bought this monitor tonight. I asked them last night about the flickering issue and this is the reply I got.

"Good morning, Thank you for your email. I can confirm that there was a firmware issue back in September-time of last year. Iiyama recalled all of the units from this particular batch. Since then, iiyama have updated the firmware and there are no issues with flickering. I hope this is reassuring regarding the problem."

Their after sale sales seems great if you had this issue they either picked it up, flashed the new firmware and returned it or sent an engineer round to do it straight away. Sounds like good after sales service to me. Hopefully being delivered on Wednesday. Currently have two 24" LG 1080p monitors, a 27"1080p monitor used by my son, a 27" 1440p 60hz on my Mac Mini and an Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz on my gaming monitor. Even if I need the firmware flashed I'll survive.

Soldato
I don't think I have ever been so impressed with a monitor straight out of it's box. No IPS drawbacks and just all of their good parts plus the attributes of it being a VA panel...

Associate
Well mine's left the depot and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow although it would suit me best if it was delivered on Thursday. I'm going into work tomorrow to do some stuff I can't do at home and I've warned my son he better get his rear end out of bed if the bell goes or they'll be big trouble.

Associate
How is browsing the web on this panel ? Could someone take a pic and show me any webpage ?
Has anybody not had any issues with the provided display port cable ? Or did you have to use aftermarket ones ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
How is browsing the web on this panel ? Could someone take a pic and show me any webpage ?
Has anybody not had any issues with the provided display port cable ? Or did you have to use aftermarket ones ?
Thanks
I used an aftermarket cable, the stock one gave me more flickering for some reason. Switched to DP 1.4 and used a 1.4 cable as well which seemed to help with the flickering. Tbh ive not used freesync in awhile... switched it off and forgot about it.

Soldato
Thanks
The only issue, if you could actually call it that, is that white text on a black background fades when scrolling. Not a big deal really.
I am using a snowkids braided 2m dp cable from a alternative source, no flickering at all...

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Asking Iiyama if they can sort a few units to send out to you guys for reviews to post back here your findings for everyone's benefit. Seems like a lot of interest in this one but a lot of mixed messages and feedback.

If I manage to sort it how I want it: 3 winners will each receive a GB3466WQSU-B1 each on the understanding they post a review to the forums when they receive it.

The competition will also be open to those who already have one of these.

The competition will be "Review your current setup!" - if anyone wants to get a head start.

My favorite 3 reviews will win (my decision final). Max 1000 words (images in spoiler tags). Will make a seperate thread to post it officially so keep an eye out in Latest News and Monitors threads.

We'll send out the monitors to our 3 chosen winners (how I'll choose you I don't know yet). They will then have to post reviews of the monitor back in the thread

Of those 3 whichever I think is the best review will win a £100 OCUK voucher.

(This is what I've propsed to Iiiyama, waiting for confirmation - no promises).

Soldato
Asking Iiyama if they can sort a few units to send out to you guys for reviews to post back here your findings for everyone's benefit. Seems like a lot of interest in this one but a lot of mixed messages and feedback.

If I manage to sort it how I want it: 3 winners will each receive a GB3466WQSU-B1 each on the understanding they post a review to the forums when they receive it.

The competition will also be open to those who already have one of these.

The competition will be "Review your current setup!" - if anyone wants to get a head start.

My favorite 3 reviews will win (my decision final). Max 1000 words (images in spoiler tags). Will make a seperate thread to post it officially so keep an eye out in Latest News and Monitors threads.

We'll send out the monitors to our 3 chosen winners (how I'll choose you I don't know yet). They will then have to post reviews of the monitor back in the thread

Of those 3 whichever I think is the best review will win a £100 OCUK voucher.

(This is what I've propsed to Iiiyama, waiting for confirmation - no promises).

Any update on this?

Back
Top Bottom