Phanteks Revolt X issue

Associate
Having a small problem with my Revolt X 1200. When the ITX system is running, and I press the ATX system power button, the PSU terminates power completely. This only occurs in this order, not in reverse where the ATX system is running and I power up the ITX system. It also does not happen every time.

The system is totally dead and power cannot be restored for a short period of time, but it isn't a fuse as later it all powers up fine.

I am using the dual system capabilities, but with the 1200W PSU, don't think the specification is anywhere close to pushing the power limits:

ATX spec:

AMD 5800X
MSI X570 Tomahawk
32GB RAM
Gigabyte 3080 (2x 8pin model)
2x m.2 & 2x SATA SSDs
Full loop with D5 & 14 PWM fans off an Aquaero 6

ITX spec:

AMD 4750G
Asrock B450 ITX
32GB RAM
1x SATA SSD

I haven't been using the main ATX system as much as I would like but haven't encountered any stability issues so far (touch wood). Reluctant to take apart for proper troubleshooting given time and the loop so wondering if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers
Ian

Soldato
Wild stab in the dark - Anything in the PSU instructions about this? I've never owned a Dual system PSU or built a Dual system rig (been tempted though) so my gut tells me the PSU could have an intermittent fault.

There's no way BOTH rigs running at the same time is going to overload that PSU. At a guess the ATX will use 6-700w at full chat tops, the itx about 100.

Checked for short circuits?

Soldato
Support of Phanteks would be the best place to ask about precise function of dual system functionality.
Available documentation isn't exactly big on explaining how it works.

Soldato
If one system just wasnt working then i would suggest checking connections are correct for sys 1 and sys 2. I Have the 1000w Revolt X and have had no issues with it, acts like you have 2 separate PSUs. Double check that all the cables are fully seated both ends.

The only thing i would say is that both systems share the peripheral connections, PCIE , SATA, so they are all powered on if only 1 PC is on. You could try unplugging as much of these as possible to make sure any peripheral devices aren't the issue

For Ref my system is.

System 1
i7 8700k OC 5ghz, 32GB, 2x M.2, 1x SATA SSD, RTX2060 Super, Antec 360 AIO

System 2
Ryzen 1500x 16gb, 1x M.2, Radeon RX550

plus 11 case fans

oh and second the contact phanteks customer support, they are pretty good at replying

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions all, will certainly contact Phanteks so they can hopefully narrow it down. Checked all connections and seem good.

Need to swap around the cooler on the ITX at some point so my try removing that from the case entirely and testing to see if that helps as it would indicate a probable short if it resolves it.

I don't generally use the 2 systems at once so not s major issue but definitely something but right.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions all, will certainly contact Phanteks so they can hopefully narrow it down. Checked all connections and seem good.

Need to swap around the cooler on the ITX at some point so my try removing that from the case entirely and testing to see if that helps as it would indicate a probable short if it resolves it.

I don't generally use the 2 systems at once so not s major issue but definitely something but right.

Mine are always on both at same time, its a premium product and you shouldnt have these issue

Associate
OP
Small update - hopefully only temporary due to the current challenges, but Phanteks support were less than helpful telling me to take it up with the retailer without a hint of technical input other than "make sure all the PSU are fully seated".

Disappointing as my previous experience with them was good.

Associate
Same issue here. I wonder if my sata ssd's could be the source of problems (as in they cause the psu to freak out). My ITX runs of a single m2 ssd and I never encountered an issue where powering itx as second would kill everything.

Associate
I just discussed with phanteks on phone and described the issue to them. Their response was "well, the psu is designed in a way, that system nr. 1 should be powered on first since the circuit there is more sensitive to power surges, so we recommend, that you turn on primary system and then secondary system". I gotta say that's a bit of important info, that they didn't mention anywhere in manual or ads... I requested to have engineering team answer the question of HDD or SSD powered through sata cable.

Associate
Having this same issue, did anyone manage to find a fix for it? I have an inkling that it may be something to do with the sata connections, but haven't been able to test it as of yet. Any help would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom