Customs Form Question for RMA

Associate
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping somebody might be able to answer this for me as I can't find a clear answer anywhere :(

One of two EVGA GTX 670 4GB Superclocked+ cards that I bought from OcUK in 2012 died a couple of months ago and I'd purchased the 10-year warranty on them. EVGA have agreed to replace it and I have an RMA number, but as their UK RMA centre is closed now, it needs to go to Germany.

I've already got a quote to do this through Royal Mail and I know I need to attach a CN22 customs declaration form and tick 'Returned Goods', but I'm not sure what to put under 'Value (GBP)'. In its current state, it's worthless, but Royal Mail said it needs to have some form of value in there otherwise it'll be rejected by customs despite a couple of posts I've read on forums where somebody said that a faulty returned item has no commercial value.

Everything I can find online only covers commercial companies sending gifts or items for sale and I'm just an individual trying to return a faulty product. I'm hoping that somebody on the OcUK forums might have an idea on what to do since Brexit as I don't really want to have to pay duty or other taxes as well as the shipping costs to send back a faulty product.

If it has to have a value written in there, do I just go by an approximate 2nd hand value? I'm going to pay to have Royal Mail compensation cover / their insurance up to a certain amount in case it gets lost, but haven't worked out how much to do that for yet, (up to £50 or up to £250 are the two options).

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice if anyone has experience with this or knows what to put on the CN22 form.

Thanks!

Can't type for toffee
Don
I'd go by the original purchase price, if they ask for proof of value you can always give them a copy of the invoice :)

I recently returned my huawei GT watch to Amazon and just put down the original invoice price.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback :)

Have they not provided you with a collection?
No, since EVGA's UK return centre has closed, they've asked for it to be returned to them in Germany at my cost. It's not ideal but understandable given that it's being covered under the extended warranty I purchased when I first got the card.

I'd go by the original purchase price, if they ask for proof of value you can always give them a copy of the invoice :)
I've had responses back from a couple of local post offices today and both of them said that as it's a faulty item to be returned, I should use 'No commercial value' and put 'NCV' in the 'Value' area. I'd spent ages looking into this before and couldn't find anything official for individuals about sending faulty items back to a manufacturer. Everything seems to be written either for businesses selling outside of their own countries or for new, unwanted goods that need to be returned and a lot of websites seemed inconsistent with their advice on RMAs needing a CN22 form. I found some online retailers saying that if they're asked to pay any duty or taxes on a returned item, it'll be refused, so I'm wondering if that's why it was suggested to use 'NCV'. I hope it's right as I also read that customs don't like seeing forms without a specific value and I also want to be able to make a claim if the parcel it lost.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I mean I'd really be putting the purchase price that's how much the item cost you, that's how much the invoice will be for.

I suppose the other way of looking at it would be asking evga what they plan to replace them with. Then put down the cost to purchase those?

The only problem with that is if things do go wrong you might have a bit of a battle with the courier.

Have you asked evga what they suggest?

Id believe that unless evga receive the cards back then they won't provide you with new ones, that being the case this ncv malarkey could come back and bite ye in the ass

Associate
OP
Thanks ~Divine~Wind~. I got in contact with EVGA and it took a while for them to come back to me but they suggested the same as you and put it as the MSRP of £363.30. They couldn't tell me what I'd receive back.

It's only one of the cards that has failed and is going back. As it's over 8 years old, using the MSRP would mean having to fill out the more detailed CN23 form and paying more to send it. In the end, after checking with a few other places and the Royal Mail helpline, (as they're much, much cheaper than the other couriers), they all seemed to suggest using a value that the card is worth today. That way, it'll be cheaper to send and still insured up to £250. I also noticed that EVGA said on their email that any duties or fees will need to be handled by me. I'm guessing they're talking about the card they send back, but didn't want them to refuse my RMA if there's a large duty cost associated with them receiving it.

So, I've sent it off via Royal Mail yesterday and I'll see how I get on.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions with this - especially with not using 'NCV'!

Back
Top Bottom