Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
At the risk of showing my ignorance, I have a question.

I have a few shares that have grown over 100%. Only small bits so not retiring anytime soon

However, if I were to take some profits, what is best or usually done? Take out the original stake, or take out the total profit?

In particular I'm looking at Marstons. The share price went up when they announced the tie in with Carlsburg. Now recently it's gone up again due to a purchase offer. I'm wondering if they'll go much further. I'm considering buying some more RR shares so need to free up cash from some of the other shares I hold.

One thing I don't know is what happens if Marstons are bought? Will the Marstons shares still exist or will I get an equivalent number of shares in the new parent company?

Soldato
At the risk of showing my ignorance, I have a question.

One thing I don't know is what happens if Marstons are bought? Will the Marstons shares still exist or will I get an equivalent number of shares in the new parent company?

That is an unknown answer - it will depend on the deal that is struck - could be all cash, could be shares, could be anything inbetween

Associate
What is the general consensus about the best place to purchase crytocurrency?

I've started to look into trading212 for individual shares, is there a similar trusted playform for crypto? With zero commission etc. I'm guessing some will charge for deposits.

Soldato
What is the general consensus about the best place to purchase crytocurrency?

I've started to look into trading212 for individual shares, is there a similar trusted playform for crypto? With zero commission etc. I'm guessing some will charge for deposits.

There's a crypto forum for this. Would be nice to keep this thread to stocks.

Soldato
Withdraw the original capital and you've lost nothing but time if the worst happens.
At the extremes, a share can double in price and its the same value premium afterwards as before any rise because say an oil driller finds new oil that doubles reserves then the share price reflects that and its not any reason to sell exactly.
We cant exactly tell you what to do because it varies by the individual, if you bought anything on a credit card at 30% APR pay it back pronto appears good advice but I remember one of the dragons den guys mention he bought an entire retirement home that way. The fine detail there might be as part of that deal he received income making the debt serviceable, anything on the net you read they often skip the important detail and copying trades often ends badly due to this
I also argue reduce mortgage debt and some will say do the opposite. My reasoning is if I can remember fixing my ISA at 10% for five years because Uk was forced to raise rates that high and similarly variable rate housing debt was costing the same, dont assume it cant happen now; despite the tide appearing so far out we cant assume its a clear pass forever.
Last time I remember rates over 10% the EU in effect had chucked us out of the predecessor to the EURO, they refused to support us and certainly UK government doesn't get to choose always the nicest path so be cautious with any debt at all imo. If you feel rich reduce some debt is quite reasonable, doesnt have to be all or nothing.
The ultimate purpose of money is security, I presume we come back to fundamentals some day because thats the cycle history shows. 'this time its different' I love tech but we havent invalidated any larger effect that happened a hundred years ago

I'm not having big sums of money yet as I've just started to invest long term. I'm mainly focusing on funds as I don't have too much knowledge about shares or enough funds to invest properly in shares. I just want to make sure I don't have everything in the same markets.

Morningstar want you to enter all your funds to track progress, as a small paid service they offer X-ray on your holdings to try and give some insight including overlap between funds. Say I own miners global fund but also gold fund as well, easily Im overweight in some part. I did that but didnt mind for a period of 2019 onwards so I was aware but its probably a good site to raise awareness and general perspective internationally.
They arent like HL trying to sell the actual funds so it should be useful, Trustnet is another one and both are usa centric possibly but work fine here afaik. TBH all finance revolves around dollar a little too much, thats a theme for change possibly.

I noticed Barings Eastern fund did very well just because Asia is likely doing better then the west generally I guess. I didnt have full confidence on them but its like +30% since the Autumn. I believe Scottish mortgage maybe other funds are of the mind to center more on Asia for growth though its been a ongoing idea for decades it varies by dollar strength for appearance of performance just like sterling going up can make FTSE appear bad.
FTSE with so much commodity shouldnt falter too much is my guess if that sector is ok. Uk itself is an energy importer so is challenged imo

Who on earth is going to buy anything which such a volatile currency?

USA has very cheap energy, they should be using all the fracking gas spare they have. It works great in cars and trucks if distribution network is there. Instead people are likely going for electric cars, there is easily an overlap between those in crypto and those who want a Tesla so its justifiable imo.
How do they pay their bills, if they can use BTC to pay for any of the costs to making the car then Im impressed. If there is any incorporation of BTC into payment systems perhaps that would be something.
If its purely just accepted then exchanged to dollar then its not much use beyond free advertising or hype but I presume there's some plan.
For BTC itself they need the network to become more efficient there is some drive to LN use for less cost. ETH may use POS rather then POW which helps its efficiency, if they dont improve cost to transact they lose to other digital networks in the majority as not all FIAT is unreliable and in decline.

Best reference to BTC might be via DXY which has relevance everywhere, it needs to be trading over 92 to really threaten any strength and its just weakened overnight again so if thats the peak its broke. 45k and below with a 4hr bar would be worth noting

Soldato
I'm in on AML ahead of their earnings announcement, improvements now that Stroll is leading with decent AMG leadership underneath and China rumours.

Cheap shares atm and if China decide they want to buy it could be a good investment.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Does anyone know if I can invest in Nintendo (or something that tracks it) on Aj Bell? I’ve had a look and can’t find anything, but I might be searching the wrong thing.... :(

Soldato
I'm in on AML ahead of their earnings announcement, improvements now that Stroll is leading with decent AMG leadership underneath and China rumours.

Cheap shares atm and if China decide they want to buy it could be a good investment.

Cheap shares, lol, I've been into AML for a year nearly now and I'm up over 100%...

Soldato
Cheap shares, lol, I've been into AML for a year nearly now and I'm up over 100%...

I got out pre consolidation - didn't fancy it. Looks like they have gone up quite a bit since then. My post consolidation price would have been c1600 - small amount of money though in, so not really lost out.

Good to see IAG, NWG and Hyve doing well / going right direction. I do feel IAG or other airlines in particular aren't a bad long term play right now. IAG has been steady at this price for some time, even with the impact of good and bad covid news. Be interesting to how it does over the next 12 months :)

Soldato
I got out pre consolidation - didn't fancy it. Looks like they have gone up quite a bit since then. My post consolidation price would have been c1600 - small amount of money though in, so not really lost out.

Good to see IAG, NWG and Hyve doing well / going right direction. I do feel IAG or other airlines in particular aren't a bad long term play right now. IAG has been steady at this price for some time, even with the impact of good and bad covid news. Be interesting to how it does over the next 12 months :)

Yeah, i'm tempted to top up on Hyve when i next load some cash into my ISA.

Soldato

I toyed with the idea, but decided to stick with it, its gone up a bit since then...

Associate
Does anyone know if I can invest in Nintendo (or something that tracks it) on Aj Bell? I’ve had a look and can’t find anything, but I might be searching the wrong thing.... :(
Try the international dealing section? You can deal in the Japanese market over the phone but the minimum investment is £10,000. Nintendo also seems to be listed on NYSE (NTDOY or NTDOF) and LSE (0R1E)

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Try the international dealing section? You can deal in the Japanese market over the phone but the minimum investment is £10,000. Nintendo also seems to be listed on NYSE (NTDOY or NTDOF) and LSE (0R1E)

Yea I tried to find those NTDOY & NTDOF to no avail, oh well! Don't fancy doing 10k so will have to swerve the idea I think, or revisit it in April and switch my ISA elsewhere.

Associate
So I've been using etorro for a week now and have been dipping my toe in buying shares with NIO and Lloyds which have risen this week. Noticed etorro doesnt get mentioned much in this thread so is there somthing that I'm missing out on by not using other platforms? I like the interface and ease of buying and selling.

Also where do people source their info from? I've been using thesharecenter for last 6 months with a practise account.

Soldato
So I've been using etorro for a week now and have been dipping my toe in buying shares with NIO and Lloyds which have risen this week. Noticed etorro doesnt get mentioned much in this thread so is there somthing that I'm missing out on by not using other platforms? I like the interface and ease of buying and selling.

Also where do people source their info from? I've been using thesharecenter for last 6 months with a practise account.

It's probably because they don't offer an ISA. Not having a dig at you, but I found the interface the worst of any broker platform. Too much flashing nonsense, and too lacking in detail.

For most it makes sense if you can to trade within an ISA, but of course that will depend on your individual circumstances and the amounts you planning in to put in.

Associate
Anyone know why Shopify is popping off this morning? I can't find any new news on it. I sold at $1244 to take some money out for a mortgage but it seems to keep going and going, almost tempted to put something back in on the next dip.

Back
Top Bottom