BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Taxed my M3 today. £580 this year. It’s starting to get painful
I'm spreading my payment over 12 months :p

50912104651_1b7c237b5d_o.jpg

Associate
Hi all, any recommendations on an eBay store or approach (other than main dealer) to get a replacement cover for a towing eye? Found a couple in Lithuania that offer aftermarket versions with supposed BMW paint (£20)

It would be for F31 LCI M Sport front bumper in Sapphire Black.

Soldato
You probably already know this but the OEM part is cheap but comes only primed not painted. So 20GBP for a painted part sounds worth a gamble to me, chances of it being perfect are slim, but I doubt anything without a blend will get you a perfect match anyways so probably this is a good way to get a decent result.
I once had a replacement for an E91 painted by the BMW dealer for £50 I think. Seemed a perfect colour match.

Soldato
You probably already know this but the OEM part is cheap but comes only primed not painted. So 20GBP for a painted part sounds worth a gamble to me, chances of it being perfect are slim, but I doubt anything without a blend will get you a perfect match anyways so probably this is a good way to get a decent result.

Quite a few people have them delivered painted from the main dealer and they're spot on. Not sure I'd trust some random ebay seller in Lithuania though.

Why wouldn't you just go to the main dealer for this part? They probably sell about 5 of these a day. There are several main dealers on eBay that if you message them will give you a quote for a fully painted one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/stratstonehull99?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/marshallbmw_no1partsaccessories?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/listers_bmw-mini?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

...to name a few

Last edited:
Associate
Quite a few people have them delivered painted from the main dealer and they're spot on. Not sure I'd trust some random ebay seller in Lithuania though.

Why wouldn't you just go to the main dealer for this part? They probably sell about 5 of these a day. There are several main dealers on eBay that if you message them will give you a quote for a fully painted one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/stratstonehull99?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/marshallbmw_no1partsaccessories?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/listers_bmw-mini?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

...to name a few

Just trying to keep cost down and my local dealer has not been very helpful.

Glad I asked though, thank you. Will drop one of them a note and see.

Associate
Duplicate from Show us Your Motors:

Possibly not to everyones taste, but collected this yesterday BMW M340i - and I like it (although it's possible that at some point I may change the wheel colour, I did with my previous 340i as black isn't my favourite colour, but they aren't gloss black).

Was an impulse purchase as was offered an ok p-ex for the 340i and what I thought was a fair price (after some discussions) for this that was stock with a reasonable spec + kit.

Currently dirty and covered in some snow after the drive back + current weather, I will take some proper photos when it clears up and I give it a wash, Dealer phone photos below.

M340i xDrive Saloon
Portimao Blue with Black Vernasca Leather (Blue Stitching)
Comfort Pack
Visibility Pack
Technology Pack
Full BMW Performance bodykit and wheels

20210208222126-a215aab0-xx.jpg

20210208222057-ff6d0472-xx.jpg

20210208222148-231e7655-xx.jpg

Caporegime
Stunning, probably the last decent-fronted BMW.

I'd be tempted by a Touring once life starts returning to some semblance of normal.

That said, I think it would look far better with "normal" exhausts. Those dented trapezoidal things are vile.

Associate
That’s lovely, really nice colour. The wheels almost work....

EDIT:

General question - for those that have driven both, how much better do you find Adaptive over standard M Sport? Is it one of those must haves on a G Series car with a bit of performance? i.e 30d/40i/40d models.

Really irritates me how it's part of the M Sport Pack on some models, standard on others. I don't want big alloys and ugly seatbelts.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
General question - for those that have driven both, how much better do you find Adaptive over standard M Sport? Is it one of those must haves on a G Series car with a bit of performance? i.e 30d/40i/40d models.

I think the benefit of is very over stated. Provided you get the wheel size right the ride is fine with the conventional suspension.

Soldato
I don't know about the 3 series cars, but in the 5 series the adaptive suspension you mostly just get a watered down version. Only the M550i gets the fully fledged adaptive drive system with active anti-roll bars. The scumbag version only has variable dampers. I find it is a nice option to have, different drive modes give the ride a distinctly different feel. The actual adaptive mode I find to be pants though, it's meant to alter the suspension depending on where and how you are driving but honestly I find it doesn't do anything. The car rides like a magic carpet even with the 20" wheels and runflats so that's really nice.

Soldato
That’s lovely, really nice colour. The wheels almost work....

EDIT:

Really irritates me how it's part of the M Sport Pack on some models, standard on others. I don't want big alloys and ugly seatbelts.

After having a car with/without it I do think it is worth while as it smooths off the ride when in comfort. What is doesn't do is give you a SE ride in comfort it sits between SE and M Sport. I wouldn't dismiss another otherwise perfect spec car for not having it but it is a nice option to have.

It's standard on the M340i/d

Associate
I think the benefit of is very over stated. Provided you get the wheel size right the ride is fine with the conventional suspension.

I don't know about the 3 series cars, but in the 5 series the adaptive suspension you mostly just get a watered down version. Only the M550i gets the fully fledged adaptive drive system with active anti-roll bars. The scumbag version only has variable dampers. I find it is a nice option to have, different drive modes give the ride a distinctly different feel. The actual adaptive mode I find to be pants though, it's meant to alter the suspension depending on where and how you are driving but honestly I find it doesn't do anything. The car rides like a magic carpet even with the 20" wheels and runflats so that's really nice.

After having a car with/without it I do think it is worth while as it smooths off the ride when in comfort. What is doesn't do is give you a SE ride in comfort it sits between SE and M Sport. I wouldn't dismiss another otherwise perfect spec car for not having it but it is a nice option to have.

It's standard on the M340i/d

I just be-grudge spending c. £2k on a pack (X3) that gives me a raft of other things I do not want. eg. Ugly seatbelts and 21" wheels with runflats.
I'd rather 20" wheels, normal tyres and standard seatbelts - spend the money on Active Cruise Control and a sunroof or towbar.

That said, if adaptive was leaps ahead then would have to really think about it.

Soldato
Are you saying the M sport costs 2k over an SE? I'm not sure if that's what you are saying but if that is right then definitely go for it. Residuals are much stronger on M sport BMWs.

Associate
Are you saying the M sport costs 2k over an SE? I'm not sure if that's what you are saying but if that is right then definitely go for it. Residuals are much stronger on M sport BMWs.

No, more that the M Sport Pro pack costs £2,400 (gives adaptive, M Sport Seats, Seatbelts, 21" wheels and weirdly, lumbar support)

Back
Top Bottom