Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Or you could look at one of the many other mobile providers, Vodafone, EE, or O2. You can get unlimited 5G EE SIM for only £27 per month, falls back to 4G if no coverage, you also can get a decent price unlimited SIM from Vodafone (4G or 5G) and either only a 30 day contract or a 12 months if you prefer a bit longer and cheaper per month. The best thing to do is either buy some cheap PAYG SIMS with 1GB or more of data, and test them around your house to see who/what gives you the best coverage/speed.

There is no 5G in my area from EE,Three etc. I'll wait until Thursday and see if I get BB installed by Virgin.

Soldato
I wouldn't be able to work from home on 4G, it isn't the answer for everyone, not even sure I would rely on a 5G connection.

I have an FTTC line as well, if I need to use it.

I took the time and effort to investigate all of the wireless carriers and looked at the locality, and what masts were close or in LoS, and then find out which modem/routers would offer the best features and stability, and what benefits and drawbacks there would be. I have always previously used 4G as a failover WAN using a low quality USB modem, and that was a struggle if I had to use it, as it had terrible antenna's and wasn't in the best location for any sort of reception other than the most basic.

Other than a higher ping, and slightly bigger fluctuation in speed I can't tell the difference between 4G and FTTC for the most part now that I have decent gear, and I have spent time getting it in the correct location for the best signal reception.

I doubt most people have bothered to test all four major networks, and spent anytime at all figuring out where they get the best reception, most will just write it off since they go, "Meh only get 6Mbps on my phone, so can't use it"

Associate
I have just bought a Mikrotik chateau 12lte and even with the slower speed, higher latency and poor reception at times I have a better overall play experience than with my 200Mb VM connection, which will be disconnected in a couple of days. At the minute I don't need anything super fast as there is only me and the wife at home now.

b5tjKBK.png

Ah here we go, stable for a few months and now it's all gone to rat **** again.

Same symptoms as last time, soon as there's any load on the connection it falls over. Fixed it last time by rerunning coax and swapping to a new pair on the cab. Guess someone else complained and got swapped to my working pair and I got theirs. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
b5tjKBK.png

Ah here we go, stable for a few months and now it's all gone to rat **** again.

Same symptoms as last time, soon as there's any load on the connection it falls over. Fixed it last time by rerunning coax and swapping to a new pair on the cab. Guess someone else complained and got swapped to my working pair and I got theirs. :D

dear lord not seen that much packet loss since working at royal mail.

Caporegime
Need a little advice and I don't have much to go on. My friend at work doesn't enjoy the best of connections with her home WiFi (Virgin). It's getting quite bad now to the point of it's a 50/50 chance if she can join a Zoom call.

Trying to single out the issue. She says her partner is generally fine of their laptop, she seems to be fine on her phone and personal laptop though she obviously uses the work laptop a lot more, so the problems will be more apparent. I asked her to do a speed test on the work one and noted her upload speed was very low (0.67Mbps). Next to the router gave her an even worse result - 0.15. With speeds like that I assume reliable Zoom calls are tricky, but unsure why the upload would drop so much?

Any ideas or tips? Her partner got some additional results at other times which seem fine for the most part but there's another massive dip in the upload. The VPN we use to connect our laptop to the internet/work servers is a bit flaky and slow but none of us are experiencing it nearly as her so leaned towards, it was something on her end.

Caporegime
Set up a BQM and ensure pings from the WAN are allowed on the Virgin router, then come back in a few days. I'm going to guess loads of red lines and a heavily congested area.

Caporegime
Set up a BQM and ensure pings from the WAN are allowed on the Virgin router, then come back in a few days. I'm going to guess loads of red lines and a heavily congested area.
Thanks - reminds me I meant to do one for mine. So you just sign up, point it to your internet and check back later on results? Edit - never mind, just turned mine on :). Edit 2 - need to make sure pings are on on the SH3.
Has the use of something like torrents been ruled out? (something sapping all that upload) and what about latency?
I can safely say she isn't to torrents :D, and don't think her partner is :p.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Call up to cancel, you may not even need to talk to the now useless retentions, there is a random auto msg (not there all the time) to press X button to get that price hike stopped.

Soldato
Huh weird, I can't access my SH3 admin page. My history shows I used 192.168.100.1 as a previous attempt but it's not working. Have tried on WiFi and Ethernet, it's in modem mode.

Nope. I can get on my Unifi admin page with 192.168.1.1. Not sure what's changed to block the SH admin page.

Mine is 192.168.100.1 in modem mode but takes a while to connect, tried a reset?

Back
Top Bottom