*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Man of Honour
Guess we will have to wait for the next Deus Ex to do half of this stuff properly.

I hope if they make another Deus Ex they improve on a few areas - I really find MD not much fun to play due to a few issues including UI and basic mechanics just not being great. While CP2077 isn't amazing on that front especially due to the horrid key binding situation at least once I'd fiddled with a few config files, etc. it is mostly seamless during combat and so on - though the whole cyberware situation could do with a ton of work.

There are moment when the game is great, but I feel sorry for anyone who upgraded their rigs just for this.

I was getting a 3070 anyhow but one of my bigger disappointments was how little RT really adds to the game.

Associate
I'm genuinely curious why anyone likes 3rd person view. I know it's popular, but I don't know why. Your view of the gameworld is obstructed by your character, the viewing angle is constantly changing and rarely right, sometimes you can't see anything at all because the viewing position is from inside a building, hill or whatever. On the plus side...what? It would have to be a massive benefit to offset the drawbacks. You can see what your character is wearing. Nowhere near enough of a benefit.

The only time I want 3rd person is for drifting in a car game, for driving when the 1st person and/or driving is very badly implemented (Cyberpunk 2077, for example) and isometric 3D games (where it's a required part of the game).

Third person view was almost a barrier for entry for me with The Witcher 3, but after my stepson told me to get over it and try it, I was surprised to find it didn't really impede me at all. In fact, for enjoying the environments, I preferred it to first person.

I don't think third person would be particularly appropriate for Cyberpunk as it's mainly a shooter, and first feels more immersive, but with TW3 third person is essential given the "Tekken" style combat system, with combos that attack in all directions. A Skyrim-style "Press A and see your sword just swipe across the screen" just wouldn't have worked.

Soldato
It's almost a metter of preference, 3rd person works better for games like skyrim and witcher3, partly so you can see you wepons and costume etc, 1st person better for pure shooters, IMO.

But I can't see why there cant be an option in settings to switch between the two according to preference.

Man of Honour
It's almost a metter of preference, 3rd person works better for games like skyrim and witcher3, partly so you can see you wepons and costume etc, 1st person better for pure shooters, IMO.

But I can't see why there cant be an option in settings to switch between the two according to preference.

I played Skyrim in 1st person. 3rd person did not work better. If it had been 3rd person only I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have repeatedly tried 3rd person only games and stopped playing them because of the numerous disadvantages of 3rd person view.

Yes, it's a matter of preference. I asked why anyone would prefer 3rd person. For games in which 3rd person isn't necessary, obviously.

So far, there's been one person mentioning specific combat systems that work better in 3rd person, one person mentioning wanting to watch their character's clothing constantly while playing and one person mentioning both.

Soldato
I think I prefer the 3rd person systems that are more "over the shoulder" e.g. Dead Space, Resident Evil, Battlefront - the view being off centre makes it so you don't have the weird problem that whatever you're pointing the camera at gets obscured by the player model

Associate
I played Skyrim in 1st person. 3rd person did not work better. If it had been 3rd person only I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have repeatedly tried 3rd person only games and stopped playing them because of the numerous disadvantages of 3rd person view.

Yes, it's a matter of preference. I asked why anyone would prefer 3rd person. For games in which 3rd person isn't necessary, obviously.

So far, there's been one person mentioning specific combat systems that work better in 3rd person, one person mentioning wanting to watch their character's clothing constantly while playing and one person mentioning both.

I think the reasons are already mentioned- you get to see your character and the actions they're performing, in context with the world around them. Also you get the feeling of controlling an avatar rather than actually being the protagonist, and a wider view of the environment including things happening immediately behind you. Done correctly, like in GTA5, I've never noticed the avatar actually interfering with the view. Same with Ghost Recon wildlands, where it was seamless enough that I actually had to check for a moment whether it was third person or not.

For me, preference isn't a factor- I'm sure there are plenty, but I'm actually struggling to think of any games where I've had a choice of first or third person....

Man of Honour
I think the reasons are already mentioned- you get to see your character and the actions they're performing, in context with the world around them. Also you get the feeling of controlling an avatar rather than actually being the protagonist, and a wider view of the environment including things happening immediately behind you. Done correctly, like in GTA5, I've never noticed the avatar actually interfering with the view. Same with Ghost Recon wildlands, where it was seamless enough that I actually had to check for a moment whether it was third person or not.

For me, preference isn't a factor- I'm sure there are plenty, but I'm actually struggling to think of any games where I've had a choice of first or third person....

I think in many cases the game design will be for one or the other. It would be nice to have a choice, though. It used to be very common to allow players a choice. Now it's not and it's almost always 3rd person that is forced on players (which is why Cyberpunk being 1st person only has stood out).

I've been considering buying GTA5 for several reasons, mainly as a result of this thread. This bit of this thread has added another reason - it's been mentioned a couple of times as an example of 3rd person perspective done well. Maybe I'll get it partly as yet another go at 3rd person to see if it's less annoying to me than the other 3rd person games I've tried (that weren't isometric 3D and thus requiring 3rd person).

Man of Honour
Have to say I really hated the cell phone situation with GTA5 (bit annoying but always felt super clunky and unintuitive to work with) and a few other interface aspects like that but what put me right off (which will depend person to person) was the default mouse implementation has split X/Y sensitivities and no way to adjust it :( and I can't be dealing with that it messes too much with my muscle memory when drawing a physical circle with the mouse results in an oval shape in game.

EDIT: Googling suggests they released a patch with changes to mouse sensitivity at some point after I last tried the game but whether that changes anything or not I dunno.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Guess I'd better change my GOG password and hope CDPR hasn't stored my cards details in an insecure way. They shouldn't be storing them at all, but that doesn't mean they aren't.

Yes, I know CDPR says no personal data on customers was accessed. To the best of their knowledge...how good is their knowledge? It might have happened and they just don't know about it. I also know that lying about that sort of thing is common practice and CDPR has ample form for lying recently.

Soldato
Guess I'd better change my GOG password and hope CDPR hasn't stored my cards details in an insecure way. They shouldn't be storing them at all, but that doesn't mean they aren't.

Yes, I know CDPR says no personal data on customers was accessed. To the best of their knowledge...how good is their knowledge? It might have happened and they just don't know about it. I also know that lying about that sort of thing is common practice and CDPR has ample form for lying recently.

I've changed all mine, just in case. Better to err on the side of caution imo.

Soldato

I believe CDPR, they're not known to lie.

...Oh wait.

Man of Honour
I've changed all mine, just in case. Better to err on the side of caution imo.

I keep meaning to get around to using a password manager because the risk of having a password compromised from a company's servers is greater than the risk of someone physically accessing my PC and my password manager. Unfortunately, I use Pale Moon and I'm very used to it and generally like it. It's not considered standard any more, so finding stuff that works with it is chancy. For example, NordPass just crashes within a few seconds if Pale Moon is running.

Caporegime
Lets face it though they aren't short of cash after the heist they pulled on the general public and they've probably made quite a few enemies through their own actions.

Back
Top Bottom