Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Why are you annoyed? The cap (note this is a cap, lots of people pay far less) is driven by wholesale costs which are in the short term, outside the control of the regulator.

If you spend 3 minutes a year switching your supplier you’ll pay a good 20% less than the cap price.

Edit: forgot to add, the wholesale cost tends to rise and fall with the prices of oil and gas. The link is less strong these days but given how much of our energy comes from gas, it has a big impact.

Surely renewables are now the main source of energy in the UK now. Where have these increased wholesale costs come from all of a sudden?

Soldato
No, the largest source of our electricity is gas fired power stations and I already said why the costs are going up.

The wholesale price of gas and electricity tanked after the first lock down kicked in as economic activity and therefore demand decreased.

It’s been on the rise since.

Associate
Yeah of course. Guess I'll just pay that one off payment then, I just bet it will happen again in a few months :D

If you only joined 2 or 3 months ago you will be using more energy than is covered by your payments. Fairly standard stuff but the energy company want you ideally to come out of the winter not owing them any money, then over the warmer months you pay more than you are using a build up a nice credit in your account ready for the winter.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
At our new home the electricity bill is £192 per month. House is all electric built in 1990, efficiency rating of C. We just use loads of juice.
Out of interest, what type of setup do you have?

We went to all electric from oil, at the time both the boiler and tank, as well as associated pipework would all have required replacement due to age, plus the tank was massive as you'd expect plus the hassle of oil deliveries and keeping an eye on the level etc, i couldnt be bothered with it all - i changed out to an electric system boiler and it is just fantastic by comparison, but with the obvious heavy electric usage.

I keep meaning to supplement it with a large ASHP which run up to 400-500% efficiency and would manage in about 95% of conditions so i understand - but with another property going through which ultimately we'll move to, i have never pushed the button to commit as they are extremely expensive.

Soldato
Out of interest, what type of setup do you have?

We went to all electric from oil, at the time both the boiler and tank, as well as associated pipework would all have required replacement due to age, plus the tank was massive as you'd expect plus the hassle of oil deliveries and keeping an eye on the level etc, i couldnt be bothered with it all - i changed out to an electric system boiler and it is just fantastic by comparison, but with the obvious heavy electric usage.

I keep meaning to supplement it with a large ASHP which run up to 400-500% efficiency and would manage in about 95% of conditions so i understand - but with another property going through which ultimately we'll move to, i have never pushed the button to commit as they are extremely expensive.

Everything is as we bought it at the moment:

2 large e7 storage heaters downstairs, 1 in the living room and 1 in the hallway.

Hot water tank with twin elements, 1 on e7 and the other is a booster.

Convectors in the bedrooms which we don't use.

It's all quite old, were going to look at getting something more modern in the future.

Soldato
It's supposed to show you pretty much everything the IHD shows you (usage). It's on my wifi, I've entered the GUID and the 4 words and it connects but instantly says service removed. Then it just sits in the app as offline.
so is the app now working , and, any good

hadn't reallised bulb had had a free smathings hub+2 plugs joining option ... that would have been sweet.

--------

another energy source link - just the nuclears status

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
so is the app now working , and, any good

Couldn't get it to work, will try again when I have time. It's not really that important as the meter readings are sending every 30 minutes to bulb and you can see the usage there.

It does show how crazy our usage is at the moment. I blame the hot tub, electric heater, dehumidifier and tumble dryer.

w3FnmMG.png

Man of Honour
There's no reason why you can't dry clothes in the house, especially in winter when the heating is normally on. We only use our tumble drier for linen and towels.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There's no reason why you can't dry clothes in the house, especially in winter when the heating is normally on. We only use our tumble drier for linen and towels.

Yea we only tumble dry towels and bedding really, it's not on every day. There's constantly an airer out fully stocked. Running the hot tub pumps for 30 minutes isn't cheap, I've seen the IHD show £0.64/hr. Then you have the heater running after the hot tub is finished to get it back up to 38c.

Soldato
Drying clothes indoors isn't a great idea unless you have a dehumidifier or Windows open.
We have the drier going at least 3-4 times a week.

Soldato
Lie, ours is around that daily. WFH and home school doesn’t help either. Hot tub user here plus an EV. We re on the octopus go tariff, charge ev overnight and ensure hot tub cycle comes on overnight.

We tumble dry all of our clothes. Time is more important to us than a couple of quid a month which is what our heat pump dryer uses.

Commissario
That time again when I'm looking for a new deal, question - if I've been with Bulb before, can I switch to them again for the referral bonus?

Soldato
Running the hot tub pumps for 30 minutes isn't cheap, I've seen the IHD show £0.64/hr. Then you have the heater running after the hot tub is finished to get it back up to 38c.

It is a luxury purchase though - with, it sounds, a daily maintenance energy consumption, even if you don't use it everyday.

Soldato
After 3 cancelled appts to have a smart meter fitted because of covid, the engineer turned up today. The meter is outside in a box and as soon as he looked inside he said he couldn't fit a meter as there wasn't enough space. Said he gets this all the time and that they are looking at making something smaller to fit into the box but no idea when. Oh well, back to monthly readings.

Back
Top Bottom