DHL - Refused Delivery

Associate
Hi guys - I was supposed to receive a parcel today from Lenovo between 12:30 and 13:30. At 10am the DHL tracking showed "refused delivery". The same thing happened to me last week with another order and that order still hasn't arrived. Again, the same thing happened to me last December and the package eventually arrived one week late despite the tracking showing refused delivery. Searching online, this seems to be a common occurrence with DHL. If you ring customer service, all you get is an automated reply and goodbye.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might be how they cover late deliveries in their system due to covid or poor ability.
The go to button to give them a week get out of jail on their various advertised abilities.

Permabanned
I guess it's possible that they tried to deliver it to the wrong address and an honest homeowner declined it.

Soldato
Yup, I've had similar from DHL before, always dread getting that dispatch email when the courier turns out to be DHL or Hermes :(

Same.

I waited in all day for a DHL delivery from OCUK and the lying gits said they knocked on the door but no answer.

Funny they didn't leave a card either.

Oh I know why, because they never ******* knocked on my door!

Man of Honour
Home delivery is so chancy that where possible I don't use it. It's far more reliable and convenient for me to have stuff delivered to the Amazon lockers about 10 minutes travel from my home. I've bought stuff from Amazon in preference to other sellers specifically because of Amazon lockers. I've removed items from my order because they won't be delivered to a locker.

This. Just ring DHL on their sales line and confirm that they've got the right address and know how to find you.

It's the modern way of doing business - take the money up front and don't even pretend to give a damn what happens afterwards. So the only way to contact the business is to lie to them, pretending to be a source of more money to the business.

Soldato
I've had this with DHL before. It's happened when they've had to adjust something on their system. Like if it went to the wrong warehouse or similar. Normally it was delivered the next day or at least back on track for delivery.

Associate
DHL are the wish delivery company in my eyes. Do but touch with a barge pole. Lied to me about delivering a 2000 euro fishing pole with absolutely no evidence. Also claimed to have been at my house when I was fine all day with the little one being ill.

Joke company

Soldato
DHL are the wish delivery company in my eyes. Do but touch with a barge pole. Lied to me about delivering a 2000 euro fishing pole with absolutely no evidence. Also claimed to have been at my house when I was fine all day with the little one being ill.

Joke company

Delivered by brand new Daiwa Airity in 5000 pieces , that was fun sorting that one out .

Soldato
This is what the tracking says:

tz79QvX.jpg

How can you refuse delivery if there is no answer?

Is that pin on your address?

What's strange is that most delivery companies are now taking a photo of your front door, as proof of their presence. I would be asking for this, and if they don't have any, then they clearly don't have any proof of attempting delivery.

Soldato
I wonder if it is down to errors at the warehouse or courier company unable to meet the delivery schedules the companies pay for.

The other week I ordered something and paid for next day delivery. Everything seemed to go through fine, was given a scheduled delivery date etc. On the day/time the driver turned up he opened the van and spent 5 minutes searching. The package was a large box so not easily missed. He then drove off and marked as unable to delivery, no answer. It got rescheduled for the following day and delivered successfully.

So either someone didn't put it in the van or they were swamped at the Depot and couldn't process in time, so the delivery driver gets the delivery on their schedule but without the product, when the attempt is made to deliver and they can't find it, either they or the company get penalised if they mark it as not on the van, so they end up marking as the customers fault, just so they don't get any come back from the business they are delivering on behalf of?

No idea if that's how it works in practice however.

Soldato
I wonder if it is down to errors at the warehouse or courier company unable to meet the delivery schedules the companies pay for.

The other week I ordered something and paid for next day delivery. Everything seemed to go through fine, was given a scheduled delivery date etc. On the day/time the driver turned up he opened the van and spent 5 minutes searching. The package was a large box so not easily missed. He then drove off and marked as unable to delivery, no answer. It got rescheduled for the following day and delivered successfully.

So either someone didn't put it in the van or they were swamped at the Depot and couldn't process in time, so the delivery driver gets the delivery on their schedule but without the product, when the attempt is made to deliver and they can't find it, either they or the company get penalised if they mark it as not on the van, so they end up marking as the customers fault, just so they don't get any come back from the business they are delivering on behalf of?

No idea if that's how it works in practice however.

Almost certainly. The last one I had, I spoke to the retailer and asked if they would still have to pay even though no delivery was attempted. They said that because the driver had marked it as nobody being in, they would still have to. I'd be inclined to call that a scam, but I don't want to be sued :p

Soldato
Home delivery is so chancy that where possible I don't use it. It's far more reliable and convenient for me to have stuff delivered to the Amazon lockers about 10 minutes travel from my home. I've bought stuff from Amazon in preference to other sellers specifically because of Amazon lockers. I've removed items from my order because they won't be delivered to a locker.

Yeah delivery to a locker is way better than having to wait around all day for someone to come to your door, especially when it'll be anytime between 0900 and 1700 or whatever..

Caporegime
during covid most lockers probably aren't all that accessible.

I think the nearest ones to me are at some University building, I always wonder if it's accessible to members of the public or just students :S
the only other ones in a shopping centre AFAIK, no idea what their opening hours are during covid.

I think some petrol stations and shops also act as drop off points, if possible likely better than your "home" as they likely can't claim a shop refused delivery when its a drop off point

Man of Honour
during covid most lockers probably aren't all that accessible. [..]

It's worth checking because they might be. I don't know if Amazon keep track of any that aren't and won't allow you to chose the option of delivery to them. It's an obvious thing for them to do, but I don't know if they do.

The nearest ones to me are in a shopping centre that's currently open throughout the day. 0900-1700, I think. Something like that. Almost all the shops are closed and the centre is almost completely deserted, but it's open.

Back
Top Bottom