Sued for a bad Trustpilot review???

Capodecina
Soldato
Sounds rather like a Phyrric Victory - I guess that time will tell.

Stick to the facts in a review and you won't have a problem . . .
If I visit a restaurant, feel that the food is mediocre and the service is slow and/or poor and leave a negative review on TripAdvisor, expressing my subjective "opinion", can I be sued?

If so, what is the point of any review of a product or service, of any sort?

ps - I only ever look at negative Amazon reviews on the basis that they have probably not been submitted by the manufacturer or seller ;)

Last edited:
Associate
If you're selling legal services, take a fee up front and perform no actual legal work but merely repackage information then that is dishonest and could be described as a scam in my opinion.

Well, a court decided that it was libel because it was not a scam, and with a lot more info than we have about the case.

Soldato
Well, a court decided that it was libel because it was not a scam, and with a lot more info than we have about the case.
Agreed...

Once again OCUK believes it is judge, jury and executioner... even when a literal judge has decided the case on the balance of facts and proven guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

Soldato
Not true at all. The judge assesses the actual evidence, they don't rule based on whether you show up or not.

Only if you agree with "Judgement on papers" which there's nothing to indicate he engaged in the process at all. If there is no Judgement on papers stipulation then they will rule against you if you don't even show up to defend yourself. So True

Man of Honour
Not sure how that happened. Trustpilot is just opinions and you cant sue an individual for an opinion. [..]

Nowadays you can have an individual jailed for an opinion if you are assigned a higher status group identity than them.

But in this case he apparently accused the law firm of fraud, of committing a crime for financial benefit. If he did, that's not just an opinion.

Associate
The firm should have gave him his £200 back. They might have won the court case but the negative PR will just destroy the company in the long term.

Won the battle but lost the war.

Soldato
The firm should have gave him his £200 back. They might have won the court case but the negative PR will just destroy the company in the long term.

Won the battle but lost the war.
ITT legal firm successfully wins legal battle. Why wouldn't I go with them? :D

Soldato
Provide the evidence of the half arsed work he paid for?

Half arsed work doesnt make them a scam firm which is what he claimed. He lost because he didn't have any evidence to back up his claims. He refused to engage with the companies complaints process. Its nothing to do with an opinion when he is making statements like 'another scam firm'. That is not an opinion it is an accusation, false in this case hence he lost.

Capodecina
Soldato
ITT legal firm successfully wins legal battle. . . .
Diversified manufacturer of highly engineered critical components and customised technology solutions for the transportation, industrial, and oil and gas markets diversifies into providing legal advice and wins a staggering £25k after David and Goliath legal battle - AMAZING ;)

Associate
Provide the evidence of the half arsed work he paid for?

The court wasn't there to assess the quality of work carried out, it was there to assess whether the allegations the firm were scammers was defamatory or not. It was therefore he lost.

Permabanned
I don't think it sets a bad precedent at all. I think people really have to put their anger aside when they post reviews and be accurate, especially dealing with legal firms. You just can not go making comments like "another scam solicitor", that is certainly bound to bring their wrath down on you. You have to be precise and say in non emotional ways exactly what they did wrong.

Back
Top Bottom