• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800XT or RTX 3080

Associate
If the relative cost is low, sure, sell the old one and get a new one. I'd consider it. My choice right now is to ignore the whole thing and go through my Steam backlog. A 980Ti with a top end Ryzen goes quite far!

Man of Honour
If you can get close to 4 figures for last gen cards, then why not? and/or if you have loads of spare cash due to nothing else being open!

I would say the market is good at the moment, just not if you have to buy all new parts due to high demand.
The latter is demoralising though as you think great, im right on this alert... then no stock for the hundredth time.

Also, I see no point at all pre ordering as pre orders are a total waste of time. They take your money then no card until there is stock, which could be months

In short, if you have the money and want either card they are easily found. You'll just have to pay 50% more. Both cards are about equal

This ^

Better to hang onto your money and grab one of the better specced cards when they are available. In some cases people are getting these before launch day pre orders are filled.

Caporegime
Still haven't seen a fe 3000 series for sale. Especially the 3080 miners dream card ATM. Not sure how you can compare OEM to Fe choice, good luck getting either ATM.
Get signed up to stock alerts on dc and you have a pretty good chance of getting a nvidia 3080 fe, they are back in stock every 2 weeks for a couple of minutes.

The uk etailer selling them has a lot more anti bot measures in place than likes of amazon so "humans" actually stand a good chance granted, you need to be quick and be ready.

- already signed into said etailer
- have your card details added
- make sure the link you click on in discord is the add to basket or take you to item, not elsewhere

Whilst it was easier for me since I work from home so could sit with discord open all day, you could also use your phone, a couple of people from here got theirs from using their phone when out and about.

In my 1-2 months of "watch", I seen far more 3080 of all kinds coming in to stock and sweet f all 6800xt, 6800 were more common but then £700+ at a min.

No surprise though given AMD have stated consoles supply is their priority and most of their hardware, iirc 80%(?) has gone to the consoles....

Last edited:
Associate
I'm waiting for the 3080Ti as I have triple Odyssey G7 (1440p 240Hz) monitors and would like the single screen FPS game performance (all the way up to 240Hz GSync) as well as triple screen framerates better than 60 (up to around 100, based on 3090 tests) for driving games.

Soldato
I'm waiting for the 3080Ti as I have triple Odyssey G7 (1440p 240Hz) monitors and would like the single screen FPS game performance (all the way up to 240Hz GSync) as well as triple screen framerates better than 60 (up to around 100, based on 3090 tests) for driving games.
Its daft IMO waiting for a 3080 Ti.
Even if rumors are correct and it lands this April with 12gb vram, it will likely have an RRP of ~£900 and the chance of getting one at this price will be VERY slim. It will of course be sold by scalpers at ~£1400. At this point, you may aswell buy a 3090 which there are a few around at this price. Nvidia wont make the 3080Ti any faster than the 3090

HRL

HRL

Soldato

At this rate if they don’t release a 3080Ti FE and it’s AIB only then it’ll end up costing more than a 3090FE currently does.

Even if they do release an FE card it’ll be barely any cheaper than the 3090FE and you won’t be able to find one for the next 6 months.

I know what I’d try to do in your situation, and that’s grab a 3090FE instead.

Soldato
I have a 6800 since last year and it pains me to say that I would now with hindsight have preferred to have a 3080 as I have experienced several issues that I didn't have with my GTX 970. I bought at launch pricing so it doesn't make much sense for me to shift now.

I'm not a fanboy, and actually want AMD to take the fight to Nvidia, but not a particularly happy owner here.

Caporegime
I have a 6800 since last year and it pains me to say that I would now with hindsight have preferred to have a 3080 as I have experienced several issues that I didn't have with my GTX 970. I bought at launch pricing so it doesn't make much sense for me to shift now.

I'm not a fanboy, and actually want AMD to take the fight to Nvidia, but not a particularly happy owner here.

What are the issues? Could be a dodgy card or something system related causing them.

Soldato

Bad luck getting a dodgy card, if that's what the problem is. However that can happen with anyone with any card so just bad luck and obviously you feel you wish you bought the 3080 but that wouldn't change anything, you could be stating the reverse.

Soldato
I don't particularly want to drag the thread off topic, but essentially:

Not an exhaustive list but:
1.) The overlay is bugged and does not work. I cannot record my screen, instant replay etc. The overlay does not respond when called and my mouse cursor flickers and has an 'activity' part that flashes every few seconds or so . Numerous driver cleanings and driver versions have had no effect.
2.) Every driver update causes three black screens on restart until I unplug and replug in the three monitors. Doing this every month is tedious.
3.) I get micro/full stutters in a few games. FPS dives momentarily and can even hang for a second. Not all games, but typically the games I play most often with friends. I didn't get this with my prior and inferior card.

Could be a dodgy card but not all the above are likely caused by just the card - also drivers/software.

Of course I could have had the same experience with an 3080 but I also might not. The fact of the matter is, every Nvidia card i've had worked out of the box with no real issues to report. Maybe i've just been fortunate with samples, but I'm answering the OP's question based on the experience i've had with one of them (6800).

I know how partisan this sub forum can be - but I have no preference and no axe to grind. As mentioned, I want AMD to do well. A competitive market is a good one.

Last edited:
Soldato
For the first time since around 2008 (ATI / AMD 4870) I bought an AMD card, a 6800XT, a Red Devil Limited Edition card, mine was number 454 out of 1000. I was really looking forward to changing to such a card, altho I have been a contended owner of several NVidia GPU's over the years, they just worked.
I used DDU as recommended and installed the card with the latest drivers.
I was initially very impressed with the drivers, their layout and functionality.
When running some of the AAA titles that I had previously seen on YT it seemed ok with my overclocked 9900k - at 5Ghz.
I have power limit raised, core and memory overclocked and it seemed ok, initially.
But then flipping over to certain Indie type games and I found it worse than the 1080Ti it replaced or barely better. Those type of games seem to be the more typical of what I play these days.
I ended up using a spare NVME and installed just Windows and Steam etc, got the same results.
Posting about some of the issues on the AMD graphics forum didn't really offer a solution but I did note some other titles where performance / stutters were occurring.
Overall I didn't feel that I wishes to keep the card, kinda risky it seemed pinning a hope that it might or might not improve, especially considering the cost. The same LE card I have seen now priced just south of £1k, when they do appear...!
I ended up returning the card for a full refund and will now look out for a 3080.
I really wanted that card to work for me, perhaps more so having installed the drivers. But overall in the short time that I had it the performance concerns meant that I felt it had to go back.

Soldato
Had a 6800 (non XT) that went faulty and had to be RMAd, during the 2 week wait for my replacement GPU I got lucky with a 3080FE at MSRP. Overall the 3080 is about 15% faster at 4K in modern games So I sold the replacement 6800 when it arrived.

I have to be honest the 3080 is a better GPU but only marginally and in previous generation AMD were nowhere near this close to Nvidia's top tier GPUs. So both GPUs are a great choice unless you have rare use cases such as unknown indie games, or older games that prefer Nvidia.

AMD have a far superior driver suite, modern UI and more options.
If AMD can get their super resolution thing out and it works on all games, then that would be amazing. Though this would benefit Nvidia as well as it is not a proprietary solution. It could in fact mean an end to Nvidia's current DLSS in new games.

Right now if someone offered me a choice between a 6800XT or a 3080 FE, I would take the 3080FE but only on a technicality. The 3080 FE just does everything the 6800XT does and more right now. Had AMD had super resolution ready, then the choice would be much harder.

Soldato

AMD's driver fine wine including stability takes about 12 months after each product launch, it's a bit of a beta test till the fine wine driver at the end of this year arrives

Associate
3080, RT isn't that important but DLSS is... AMD will be releasing their version later this year but we have no idea how it will compare or how many games will use it.

Not that you can buy either...

Caporegime
AMD's driver fine wine including stability takes about 12 months after each product launch, it's a bit of a beta test till the fine wine driver at the end of this year arrives
I know there were some issues at 5700 XT launch, but the Big Navi drivers have been great for stability and performance in comparison.

1.) The overlay is bugged and does not work. I cannot record my screen, instant replay etc. The overlay does not respond when called and my mouse cursor flickers and has an 'activity' part that flashes every few seconds or so . Numerous driver cleanings and driver versions have had no effect.
2.) Every driver update causes three black screens on restart until I unplug and replug in the three monitors. Doing this every month is tedious.
3.) I get micro/full stutters in a few games. FPS dives momentarily and can even hang for a second. Not all games, but typically the games I play most often with friends. I didn't get this with my prior and inferior card.

Could be a dodgy card but not all the above are likely caused by just the card - also drivers/software.

Of course I could have had the same experience with an 3080 but I also might not. The fact of the matter is, every Nvidia card i've had worked out of the box with no real issues to report. Maybe i've just been fortunate with samples, but I'm answering the OP's question based on the experience i've had with one of them (6800).

I know how partisan this sub forum can be - but I have no preference and no axe to grind. As mentioned, I want AMD to do well. A competitive market is a good one.
Sorry to hear that, will send you a DM to direct you to AMD Support.

Last edited:
Soldato

+1

But not because of issues, it's been almost impeccable on that front, just because of performance & as you say in other areas than pure gaming (recording, for me - topaz etc) Nvidia just wipes the floor with AMD and the latter seems to be content to just kick back and relax because it has no production capacity anyway.

Soldato

I’ve had no issues moving to AMD it will more than likely be a dodgy card or something else incompatible. I had a 3070 for a bit and having issue with it no realising I was trying to run the card at pciex4 on a pciex3 riser card and was convinced for a bit the card was broke.

Back
Top Bottom