Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Man of Honour
I've had the Noblechair Hero ST that was on offer for a month now and I'm regretting the purchase.
It is one of the uncomfiest chairs I've sat on and I'm having to use a proper orthopaedic cushion and a nice pillow behind me. The separate Noblechair pillow behind my head is good.
If I lean on the right arm it starts to bend over so I have to be very careful to only use it for resting and not lifting myself up.
The good point is that it does seem rather solid than other chairs I've had.

Caporegime
I am looking for a new chair and there is no way in hell I will buy a gaming chair. For a start, anything made from faux-leather (which gaming chairs generally are) is an absolute nightmare in breathability so when it gets hot you WILL get sweaty and sticky. Secondly, they are just not ergonomically well-designed, as the majority of the companies that make them have little to no experience or pedigree with making ergonomic office chairs. Lack of real adjustability is common among gaming chairs.

If you want to be comfortable at your desk for long hours, then buy a good office chair with fully adjustable features that you can tailor to your body requirements. It's what they are specifically designed for.

Soldato
I think this sub forum should be renamed anyhow, to something like Chairs & Desks. Otherwise it just feels like it was created to promote the sale of the chairs sold here, which are predominantly overpriced gaming chairs.

Soldato
I think this sub forum should be renamed anyhow, to something like Chairs & Desks. Otherwise it just feels like it was created to promote the sale of the chairs sold here, which are predominantly overpriced gaming chairs.

Agree, would benefit the discussion as well to have desks included imo

Associate
I work for organisation with 10000+ employees and I am part of moves & accommodation team. During my 15 years we have trialed, purchased and used hundreds of different chairs. From Herman Miller, Boss Design to Posturite.
The most wanted/requested/sought after office chair even up to this day is "Orangebox Do" chair. I found it to be the most comfortable office chair I ever used too. I own one and game on it too.
The most requested to be swapped by something else is Herman Miller Aeron. Large, bulky and most uncomfortable so far.
EDIT: Nearly forgot about Herman Miller Mirra which is in same situation as Aeron. People constantly asking them to be swapped with something else.

Last edited:
Soldato
I work for organisation with 10000+ employees and I am part of moves & accommodation team. During my 15 years we have trialed, purchased and used hundreds of different chairs. From Herman Miller, Boss Design to Posturite.
The most wanted/requested/sought after office chair even up to this day is "Orangebox Do" chair. I found it to be the most comfortable office chair I ever used too. I own one and game on it too.
The most requested to be swapped by something else is Herman Miller Aeron. Large, bulky and most uncomfortable so far.
EDIT: Nearly forgot about Herman Miller Mirra which is in same situation as Aeron. People constantly asking them to be swapped with something else.

Also fitting that it fits with a classic game collection :D

I owned a gaming chair. It was horrible. I had awful shoulder pain. On the advice of someone on this forum I bought a Steelcase Leap v2. Second hand and re-upholstered. From https://www.2ndhnd.com/

I would never buy a 'gaming chair' again. There is a reason that good office chairs cost what they do brand new.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Interesting...never heard of Orangebox before. Can you please say a bit more about it... what are its strengths and weaknesses? Is the headrest worth it?

Associate
Interesting...never heard of Orangebox before. Can you please say a bit more about it... what are its strengths and weaknesses? Is the headrest worth it?

It does not have to be just Orangebox, I am sure there are a lot of other brands that do something similar. But why me and my colleagues like this type of chair though?
Its back to basics, simple to adjust but modern looking high quality chair with edgeless flat seat that has generous 10cm depth adjustment. To be honest not that different from madindehead Steelcase Leav v2 that he posted.

Edgeless flat seat its where it is to be honest. I have noticed a lot people like to sit with legs spread out and feet on the wheel base. Some cross around ankles with one knee facing outwards. I like to tuck one of my legs under the thigh.
You cant do any of this with Mirra, Aeron or any other chair with curved hard frame, it constantly cuts into your legs or butt. It confines you to the small seating area and after long hours it becomes uncomfortable.

Same is with "gaming" chairs that most are designed around racing car "bucket" seats. "Bucket" seats by design are to restrict drivers body movement and provide some protection in case of crash. Why would somebody want this as an office chair where you want as much movement as possible? What are those raised sides for, not to fall out of your chair when taking a corner in Dirt Rally? Whats next, a seat belt while gaming? :D

Underboss
I'm weighing up an HM Aeron vs HM Embody at the moment.

Gaming chairs are a false economy. The amount of reports on here about how uncomfy one of the expensive branded gaming chairs are is pretty staggering tbh.

Associate

Is this not just because people inherently have bad posture and feel uncomfortable when sitting correctly? Look around any office and you see all manner of slouching, crossed legs and other unfavourable, anti-ergonomic positions. It's no wonder people want a more simple chair that is comfy even when sitting badly. If you sit in an Aeron, Mirra or Steelcase Leap, you have to sit properly and it's not very comfortable at first because you're not used to it. Most people have no idea how to set up their desk properly either. People seem to love having their monitors off to one side so they're sitting diagonally!

I would have thought OCUK might have partnered with Herman Miller by now for their new "gaming" range which is just the old chairs painted black or with a Logitech logo on them. Proper money making scheme.

Associate
Is this not just because people inherently have bad posture and feel uncomfortable when sitting correctly? Look around any office and you see all manner of slouching, crossed legs and other unfavourable, anti-ergonomic positions. It's no wonder people want a more simple chair that is comfy even when sitting badly. If you sit in an Aeron, Mirra or Steelcase Leap, you have to sit properly and it's not very comfortable at first because you're not used to it. Most people have no idea how to set up their desk properly either. People seem to love having their monitors off to one side so they're sitting diagonally!

I would have thought OCUK might have partnered with Herman Miller by now for their new "gaming" range which is just the old chairs painted black or with a Logitech logo on them. Proper money making scheme.

I agree, bad postures are everywhere. But I was "forced" to sit on Mirra chair for over a year before we started purchasing something else and it was very uncomfortable. My colleagues one by one started swapping them too. You go to our funiture stores and only spare chairs are Mirra and Aeron ones... Its definitely not for someone who sits for 8 hours. For a swanky look in the meeting rooms or directors office who pops into the office for 2 hours is fantastic.

There is no way to have proper posture and sit in the office chair for 8 hours. Its just not sutainable and it cant be done. There is a good book called "Deskbound" that talks how deskbound jobs affect your body.

Associate
I'm weighing up an HM Aeron vs HM Embody at the moment.

Gaming chairs are a false economy. The amount of reports on here about how uncomfy one of the expensive branded gaming chairs are is pretty staggering tbh.

If you have to then its defo Embody.

EDIT: I have just checked our fav website were we all buy random stuff and there is lots of Aerons on offer from home users. You can have one for as little as £200 while uncle John L sells one for £1000+! Why such contrast? Because its an aweful aweful chair.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
I just can't take these gamer chairs seriously when their primary design feature is bloody great bolsters....plainly I'm not 'gaming' right because I never have to deal with any lateral G forces when I'm sat at my desk :D

Maybe someone finds a use for the holes for a 5-point harness? I just find them all a bit silly tbh.

I'll stick to desk chairs that are first and foremost designed to be desk chairs, not look like racing car seats.

Caporegime
Well guys, last week on Friday morning picked up my Giroflex 64 3578. A Giroflex 64 (they have cheaper chairs but this is really the best all rounder), fully specced, costs around £800. I got mine, slightly less than fully specced (only 2D height adjustable arms, though they are by no means 'bad'), used for around £160. It's almost like new. I plan to upgrade it to the 4D adjustable arms to finish it and am in contact with Giroflex to buy them separately.

Anyway after having had 3 days to try it out at home I can confirm that the Giroflex 64 is SUPER COMFORTABLE TO SIT IN FOR LONG PERIODS, 8-10 hours per day so far and it is just like I remember it from the workplace. Great integrated lumbar support, adjustable tilt and tilt resistance, adjustable back height and adjustable seat depth. Comfortable yet firm cushion and importantly there is no cutting off leg circulation as the seat curves down with no plastic edges. It's also big enough to cross a leg on.

I can really recommend this chair, although if you are over 6ft 2" then make sure you get the right size or try before you buy. :)

Caporegime
Well guys, last week on Friday morning picked up my Giroflex 64 3578. A Giroflex 64 (they have cheaper chairs but this is really the best all rounder), fully specced, costs around £800. I got mine, slightly less than fully specced (only 2D height adjustable arms, though they are by no means 'bad'), used for around £160. It's almost like new. I plan to upgrade it to the 4D adjustable arms to finish it and am in contact with Giroflex to buy them separately.

Anyway after having had 3 days to try it out at home I can confirm that the Giroflex 64 is SUPER COMFORTABLE TO SIT IN FOR LONG PERIODS, 8-10 hours per day so far and it is just like I remember it from the workplace. Great integrated lumbar support, adjustable tilt and tilt resistance, adjustable back height and adjustable seat depth. Comfortable yet firm cushion and importantly there is no cutting off leg circulation as the seat curves down with no plastic edges. It's also big enough to cross a leg on.

I can really recommend this chair, although if you are over 6ft 2" then make sure you get the right size or try before you buy. :)

Tempting. Refurbished high end office chairs look decent value. Hard to choose one though as know little about them.

Back
Top Bottom