Troubleshooting help: Asus X99-E WS

Man of Honour
I'd say it depends on the corruption, often it can, but the write process doesn't always write over everything, not all BIOS updates are done to the same level. If the whole BIOS is corrupted then it requires a hard flash or a replacement, I think.

If it switched on after the last flash, did you try clear CMOS again?

Associate
Out of interest, if a BIOS has corrupted (for whatever reason may have caused it), can that usually be fixed with an update (or in this case flashback)? Or can sometimes that be considered "it" for the life of the board?

Just wondering if some corruption has occurred.

My original guess going off of your description was that some kind of corruption had occurred and in theory, re flashing the bios would overcome that problem by completely overwriting the original. I'd be tempted to retry flashing once again followed by clearing the cmos just to see if it makes any change.

Associate
OP
I'd say it depends on the corruption, often it can, but the write process doesn't always write over everything, not all BIOS updates are done to the same level. If the whole BIOS is corrupted then it requires a hard flash or a replacement, I think.

If it switched on after the last flash, did you try clear CMOS again?

Idiot question: CLR_CMOS button on the board, how long should this be pressed to clear? Assume it has to be a number of seconds to avoid accidentally pressing?

Man of Honour
My original guess going off of your description was that some kind of corruption had occurred and in theory, re flashing the bios would overcome that problem by completely overwriting the original. I'd be tempted to retry flashing once again followed by clearing the cmos just to see if it makes any change.
To do a total re-write of the BIOS, usually there are additional commands needed, I'm not sure if that's possible with flashback. (Not saying this can't or hasn't worked without)

The CLR_CMOS button, I've no idea, I'd trust pulling the battery, or using the jumper more than the button, to be honest.

Associate
Idiot question: CLR_CMOS button on the board, how long should this be pressed to clear? Assume it has to be a number of seconds to avoid accidentally pressing?

Usually its recommended to be pressed for 5 seconds or so but no harm in holding it closed for longer just to be sure or pull the battery as Tetras says.

I noticed the bios chip is socketed on your board so it might even be worth the gamble of buying a preprogrammed replacement chip online. They aren't expensive and can be found for not much over £10 or so on the online marketplace site. I'd post a link but I'm not sure if it breaks the rules here.

Associate
OP
thanks guys - will head the above - don't think this board has a jumper to reset, but will remove battery and hit the button for an hour or so ;)

Associate
OP
Usually its recommended to be pressed for 5 seconds or so but no harm in holding it closed for longer just to be sure or pull the battery as Tetras says.

I'd post a link but I'm not sure if it breaks the rules here.

Not sure either, but happy for a DM?

Back
Top Bottom