Sued for a bad Trustpilot review???

Man of Honour
I take the other side.
I'm involved all year round in working on cases where my Lawyer boss then goes to court (at the moment all on Microsoft Teams) and it has cost £1000s to get all the evidence in the right legal format all paid by the taxpayer.
We then go to court and the defendant doesn't turn up or can't be bothered to turn their laptop on because their dog is ill.
The defendant isn't fined like the bloke above but all of us have had our tax wasted.
If he had turned up he could have at least explained why he called them scam and provided his letter and their reply.

No sympathy.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Terrible firm, hope they get shut down after all this bad PR. He is allowed to express his opinion that it was a scam, it's still his opinion. If the company disagree they could have got possibly got the review removed.

Caporegime
Terrible firm, hope they get shut down after all this bad PR. He is allowed to express his opinion that it was a scam, it's still his opinion. If the company disagree they could have got possibly got the review removed.

You're wrong. One of the defences was "honest opinion" which the judge struck out.

Soldato
I also don't think anyone would be taking the guy's side if it weren't for the fact they sued him for £25k - that's a ridiculously disproportionate amount for a single review from basically a "nobody".
Does the court not decide how much to fine him?

And in 5 years, anyone doing a google search for reviews about the company will still find a BBC article about how they sued a customer for a bad review popping up in their search results :p
Celebs sue the media for defamation, slander and libel all the time. It's no big deal...

He is allowed to express his opinion that it was a scam, it's still his opinion.
The court decided that is was not mere opinion, but full-on libel, though.

I hope more people get sued. It's quite tiresome looking for reviews, only to find petty bitching and vehement slating of a perfectly good company just because the DPD man delivering their stuff was a minute late, or whatever!

Man of Honour
I also don't think anyone would be taking the guy's side if it weren't for the fact they sued him for £25k - that's a ridiculously disproportionate amount for a single review from basically a "nobody".

I explained above that as soon as they knew they were going to court they would have put a small team behind it to go to court so it isn't just people not using them, it's their costs.
My boss is on a very big wage, I estimate around £80,000 and he can spend weeks on one case and it will also involve other staff members.

Caporegime
I explained above that as soon as they knew they were going to court they would have put a small team behind it to go to court so it isn't just people not using them, it's their costs.
My boss is on a very big wage, I estimate around £80,000 and he can spend weeks on one case and it will also involve other staff members.

£25k is the award of damages, costs are on top.

Man of Honour
If you're selling legal services, take a fee up front and perform no actual legal work but merely repackage information then that is dishonest and could be described as a scam in my opinion.

Surely a large part of legal work is repackaging information? Everything about the law is right out there in the open, but it takes a lawyer to understand what is relevant and what is not. And at the end of the day, their main output is advice, not action.

Soldato
Thing is there seems to be a lot of these "scammy" solicitors around who really do FA and have dubious business practices.

One a friend used when buying a house a few years back was storing credit card information, unencrypted in plain text files and emails. He worked for the government at the time, pushed the details to the right people and took them to the cleaners lol. I think they ended up closing down.

Back
Top Bottom