Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I got in on the ballot for last year, but on recalling the costs for travel and hotels decided not to go ahead. I Also said in 2018 that I would never do one again, but that changed within about 2 days :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Entered the ballot 3 times and haven't been successful. Didn't know they even opened it up this year and doubt it'll go ahead. Doubt Manchester will go ahead in October, I have a deferred place for that though due to it being cancelled last year.

I just can't be bothered to enter anything else this year with such uncertainty. Makes motivation tough as I'm just running the same old routes with nothing to look forward to but I've been getting out a lot since the new year. My old boss is on a 400+ day running streak, git!

I had some funny looks today from people dressed for Everest in the snow while I was out in shorts and t-shirt :D

Soldato
Entered the ballot 3 times and haven't been successful. Didn't know they even opened it up this year and doubt it'll go ahead. Doubt Manchester will go ahead in October, I have a deferred place for that though due to it being cancelled last year.

I just can't be bothered to enter anything else this year with such uncertainty. Makes motivation tough as I'm just running the same old routes with nothing to look forward to but I've been getting out a lot since the new year. My old boss is on a 400+ day running streak, git!

I had some funny looks today from people dressed for Everest in the snow while I was out in shorts and t-shirt :D

Haha yeah, i had that yesterday too. It's amazing how quickly you warm up though and running in this weather is lovely as it's bright and crisp. I'll take it over wet and grey anyday.

Had another session with a PT this morning. Definitely seem to be getting stronger so i'm hoping that extra muscle in my legs/glutes/core helps to fix a lot of the issues i've been having eventually.

I'm also debating changing trainers. I bought the Mizuno ones which someone (@neoboy?) posted in here. I've only done around 150 miles or so in them and they feel the same, but i think mentally i'm wondering whether or not those are causing some of my issues because they're not "quite" right and i bought them because they were cheap and reasonably suited me more than anything else.

@SPG Which ON trainers did you go for by the way? I'm quite tempted to go with the CloudStratus. They seem well cushioned which is good for me, whilst still offering a Neutral shoe. Although Runners Need suggest it's a stability shoe, which goes against the ON website. Why can't details just be consistent. I seem to notice this a lot!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I ended up taking your fashion advice (god help me :) ) and ordered a pair of Cloudflyers. Should be with me a in weeks time due to custom shenanigans. If I cant get on with these is back to the Brooks GTS.

Associate
It is, I presume it is because the common sizes sell really well and the weird outlier ones end up sitting in the warehouse all year long.

I am a UK11 (ish) and it can sometimes be tricky to find sensibly priced trainers (I am a cheapskate and don't like paying the £100+ that some stuff seems to be :D )

Associate
I feel your pain, I'm UK12 so very rarely are they on offer.

Do many of you change around brand/model? Once I found "the one", despite being about £90 a time, I don't really want to try anything else for the risk of wreaking my feet or being an expensive mistake. It's why, despite really needing them for winter, I've yet to pick up trail shoes. Guess I need to find someone with a "no questions asked"/"Test them out for a few miles" returns policy so I can try some other shoes out rather than being locked in like I am currently.

Soldato
I’ve spent most of the last few years trying different brands as I wanted to find the best fit for me.

I think Asics have probably been best for me so far. My Brooks (2 pairs) didn’t seem to last very long.

Haven’t tried Nike. I really liked the feel of Hokas but they were a little too narrow. I am considering trying Saucony road shoes though as I really like my Peregrine trail shoes.

Soldato
I'm also debating changing trainers. I bought the Mizuno ones which someone (@neoboy?) posted in here. I've only done around 150 miles or so in them and they feel the same, but i think mentally i'm wondering whether or not those are causing some of my issues because they're not "quite" right and i bought them because they were cheap and reasonably suited me

Mizuno Wave Rider 24? Only got them myself because they were cheap, kinda feel similar about them. Nothing particularly wrong but just don't quite feel right on my feet. I'm poor though so getting my mileage out of them before switching over to Asics I got in the sale.

Associate
I feel your pain, I'm UK12 so very rarely are they on offer.

Do many of you change around brand/model? Once I found "the one", despite being about £90 a time, I don't really want to try anything else for the risk of wreaking my feet or being an expensive mistake. It's why, despite really needing them for winter, I've yet to pick up trail shoes. Guess I need to find someone with a "no questions asked"/"Test them out for a few miles" returns policy so I can try some other shoes out rather than being locked in like I am currently.

Both brooks and hoka offer this. 90 days for brooks and 30 days for hoka. Haven't had an issue with either returning shoes that I've tested outside. I think Adidas do the same as I had some that I took out for 7k or so and they were way too narrow in the end and they gave a full refund too.

Any company that doesn't offer this really puts me off trying their shoes.

Soldato
Both brooks and hoka offer this. 90 days for brooks and 30 days for hoka. Haven't had an issue with either returning shoes that I've tested outside. I think Adidas do the same as I had some that I took out for 7k or so and they were way too narrow in the end and they gave a full refund too.

Any company that doesn't offer this really puts me off trying their shoes.

It's something i'm tempted to try. I'd like to try some more Hokas as i liked the Speedgoat trail shoes, they were just a little too narrow, but i liked that bouncey feel. I believe they do some that are wider though. I did try their Clifton one's but i barely got them on my feet!

I think my issue is i get 50% off from Runners Need so it's difficult to justify trying from anywhere else, and i'd rather not be one of those people who tries them direct then return them and go elsewhere to actually buy once i'm happy with them!

Out of interest, what do they do with the returned shoes? I'm surprised at Adidas as you'd think that might be abused by a more general population, whereas i guess Brooks/Hoka are more dedicated running shoes where the customers wouldn't buy/return just to have new trainers often.

Soldato
Probably just swallow if up as a cost of business.

Fully covered in snow here, good thing I'm not running today as this way I can't see the ice patches around my house and if go on my trail be concerned about twisting an ankle or such.

Soldato
Well, I think I'll need better shoes. After just a few jogs, these £20 shoes are already falling apart. Cracks on the top of each shoe and the rubber on the heel peeling and wearing thin. Pity as they're very comfortable.

20210209-173618.jpg

20210209-173731.jpg

20210209-173740.jpg

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My Inov8 Trailroc are almost infallible in snow & ice. While it's not as bad up here right now we've had the worst of it this year and it's not stopped me even running over the local hills. So impressed with them I want some of their walking boots with the same soles.

Back
Top Bottom