Road Cycling

Associate
thanks for this. I’m still struggling to workout what I need. Do I need to work out the angle of the cups as well?

argh!!

Doesn’t seem you can get a straight steered, disc fork without a silly disc mount.

I feel like this is just going to be a lot of money to get on the road.

Soldato
Nope - the bolt fits against the lower section.
This wear occurs where the seat post enters the frame on the left side, as shown in this diagram.

50921877552_34d363feeb_z.jpg

Question, has anyone experiencing problems used the appropriate grease prior to installation?

Soldato
Question, has anyone experiencing problems used the appropriate grease prior to installation?
Yes - everyone in the Canyon FB group is clued up and installing the post correctly. Someone even received a replacement post from Canyon, installed it all exactly as Canyon requested, did a 22km ride and on return checked the post and it had started to wear way.

As I said - Canyon have acknowledged the fault and are working on a fix.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...XjsVuoy5F0Azehh-gvEhY3zZFZUlswSthwWgNM16DIr5w

Soldato
It’s a 56cm Ridgeback Advance 5.0 with a post mount. Not sure if that’s what you mean?

ID - Inner Diameter - so the inner diameter of the frame where the bearing will sit.

Bearing angle will be 45 degrees unless it's something really REALLY strange (unlikely - it looks 'normal' - no fancy bar/stem system/integration)

The idea behind the design is the seat tube flexes to improve comfort. The issue is that the seat tube is flexing/moving inside the frame so you can imagine what is happening - carbon rubbing against carbon :eek:.
Canyon have acknowledge the issue and have confirmed they are working on a fix which will also be issued to current owners.

I'm in the Canyon FB group and every owner is experiencing seat tube wear, this is one of the worst looking tubes, from an owner who rode about 300km and then checked it.

50926542012_72b5db40ee_z.jpg
Wow! That must have been flexing & moving a bunch! :o

That is caused from incorrect setup/overtightening by the looks of it.
Nope, the post is designed to flex, then as the tightening point it quite a way down the seat tube post it is actually flexing all the way through where it enters the frame... And rubbing.

Surprising that hasn't actually damaged/cracked the seat tube on that frame. He must be a heavy rider to have 'only ridden 300km' for that much wear :o

Associate
So I'm after a little bit of advice (and hear me out, this may sound odd).

I'm looking to take advantage of the Cycle to Work scheme and will be applying for a £1000 voucher to tart my bike up for the summer months, and the big area of focus is wheels. I'm after a recommendation for a wheel-set that would fit this criteria and within £1000 (not including cassettes etc, I don't mind grabbing them out my own money). It would be nice to have change from £1000 as I would like to get other stuff, but if the right recommendation comes in I have no issues with tanking the lot on it. Current bike is a Giant Contend AR1.

Requirements for wheels are:
- Lightweight (naturally)
- Disc brake
- Tubeless
- Nice looking
- and the weird one, LOUD! (I used to BMX and I loved the sound of a loud cassette, for reference if you want to gauge, sounding like a Profile Elite rear cassette hub)

Soldato
So I'm after a little bit of advice (and hear me out, this may sound odd).

I'm looking to take advantage of the Cycle to Work scheme and will be applying for a £1000 voucher to tart my bike up for the summer months, and the big area of focus is wheels. I'm after a recommendation for a wheel-set that would fit this criteria and within £1000 (not including cassettes etc, I don't mind grabbing them out my own money). It would be nice to have change from £1000 as I would like to get other stuff, but if the right recommendation comes in I have no issues with tanking the lot on it. Current bike is a Giant Contend AR1.

- Disc brake
- Tubeless
- Nice looking
- and the weird one, LOUD! (I used to BMX and I loved the sound of a loud cassette, for reference if you want to gauge, sounding like a Profile Elite rear cassette hub)

You can't get wheels any more on bike to work.

Soldato
^^^ :(

- Disc brake
- Tubeless
- Nice looking
Shame (see above) but I was going to say to get some better requirements ;)

It's easy to get a loud freehub - Hope ones are superb, but really any freehub can be made to be 'loud' with using less or a lighter oil in them, than grease, but YMMV obviously depending on your seals. I'm using 10W-40 motor oil in my Zipp ones and they sound great! :D

But an idea of what more you want out of the wheelset would really help to pin things down... Like the type of riding, tubeless or not, the type/size of tyres you wanted to run or if you wanted a super aero/lightweight/bling set. With £1000 you have a massive amount of choice.

Soldato
I must have missed that announcement. I remember just missing the limit increases when I got my last C2W bike... though it took my company many more months to increase it anyway.

Associate
Ohh. Are components only completely banned from bike to work now?

The bits they have said are not permitted are: "Accessories that are not available include forks, frames, Sat Navs, cycle computers, Go pro cameras, turbo trainers and cycle racks. Items such as frames and forks are cycle components not safety equipment: safety equipment is something you add to the cycle or the cyclist to make cycling safer."

This is our company scheme.

^^^ :(

Shame (see above) but I was going to say to get some better requirements ;)

It's easy to get a loud freehub - Hope ones are superb, but really any freehub can be made to be 'loud' with using less or a lighter oil in them, than grease, but YMMV obviously depending on your seals. I'm using 10W-40 motor oil in my Zipp ones and they sound great! :D

But an idea of what more you want out of the wheelset would really help to pin things down... Like the type of riding, tubeless or not, the type/size of tyres you wanted to run or if you wanted a super aero/lightweight/bling set. With £1000 you have a massive amount of choice.

Did think about cleaning out the grease, but I do want to get some nicer wheels as well.

I pretty much ride solely Road and this set will be used primarily for Summer months, just want something lighter to make hills that little bit easier, but absolutely Tubeless is a MUST. I haven't looked too much into tyres so open to recommendations for lightweight fair weather road riding.

The only other thing I can request (and I'm really not sure whether you need to know this) but must be a through-axle.

Sorry if this doesn't give much to go on, just blingy/lightweight/aero/loud/tubeless/disc brakes. Failing that, any brands or places to look at in particular? And also, whilst I've glanced.. I've noticed lots of spoke options, is there a "must-have" or is it down to preference?

Associate
Sorry, totally get what you mean now! :D

With my tape measure it’s 41mm and my 41.8 mm bearing from my other bike doesn’t quite fit.

So am I looking at a 41mm bearing at 45 degrees?

Soldato
Unrelated but anyone used OTE? I may have a 20% off code when ordering from their site. Trust me if interested.

Did think about cleaning out the grease, but I do want to get some nicer wheels as well.

I pretty much ride solely Road and this set will be used primarily for Summer months, just want something lighter to make hills that little bit easier, but absolutely Tubeless is a MUST. I haven't looked too much into tyres so open to recommendations for lightweight fair weather road riding.

The only other thing I can request (and I'm really not sure whether you need to know this) but must be a through-axle.

Sorry if this doesn't give much to go on, just blingy/lightweight/aero/loud/tubeless/disc brakes. Failing that, any brands or places to look at in particular? And also, whilst I've glanced.. I've noticed lots of spoke options, is there a "must-have" or is it down to preference?
Assuming you've got the 2020 Contend AR1 then it has fairly basic Giant PR-2 wheels on it. Aluminium and fairly basic, anything you get over the £300-400 price range is going to be a significant upgrade. I replaced old rim brake PR-1's with cheap £105 wheels and they where significantly better (although no lighter). Giant off the shelf/basic wheels like those are pretty average.

So going for something in carbon is going to do masses for the feel of them when climbing. The wheels you have now are heavy (they're designed to be a bit abused riding some off-road/gravel). Obviously the more you spend, the lighter they'll generally be. You mention only riding on road, so going for newer designs will give you wider rims, but that's probably not a massive requirement for what you're riding (so probably look at 19mm+), but your Contend does fit wider tyres (it came with 32mm), so it's up to you if you go as wide (or wider) again when looking at tyre options. A 28mm tyre will be lighter. Again the more you spend the better they'll 'feel'. Lots of people rate the Conti GP5000 TL which would probably be my suggestion/starting point. But they are expensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom